Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:39 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Look at a person before they use any drug...
Look at that same person using any drug

They are not the same person

Give me an all natural human being anyday
So why do you not pound the drum about how wrong and destructive it is to use any of the plants listed below? People who are able to see the bigger picture knows that cannabis would be on this list too, with no one raising an issue with it, except that the cannabis plant was singled out and demonized many decades ago for reasons that have nothing to do with the plants qualities.

Do you consider any human beings that use any of these plants to help with any of these symptoms to be unnatural and diminished?

ChamomileAnthemis nobilis – Chamomile is said to take away weariness and pain/inflammation of the bowels. The oil from the flowers can be used against many pains and aches, including joint cramps. Chamomile is also helpful in healing migraines and regulating menstrual periods.

CinquefoilPotentilla reptans – Cinquefoil is used to reduce inflammation. It can also treat sore mouths and ulcers. The juice is known to aid jaundice. As well as helping hoarseness of the throat and cough, Cinquefoil can be applied to painful joints.

ColumbineAquilegia vulgaris – Because columbine is slightly poisonous, its astringent properties are mainly exploited in lotions and used externally.

FeverfewChrysanthemum parthenium - Feverfew is known as an effective treatment for migraine headaches and fevers. It may also help ease diseases like arthritis.

FoxgloveDigitalis purpurea – A pure form of the plant is used to strengthen cardiac contractility and regulates heart rhythm.

Golden RodSolidago virgaurea – Golden rod can be used as a treatment for painful menstruation, arthritis and eczema. Externally, it can be applied to skin ulcers to stimulate healing.

Lady's Mantlelchemilla vulgaris - This herb has been used to cure excessive menstruation. The root of lady's mantle has been recommended to stop bleeding.

LavenderLavandula angustifolia – Lavender prevents fainting and allays nausea. In oil form, it is often used in therapeutic baths to reduce stress. It can also lower blood pressure. A small amount makes a useful application on skin diseases like eczema and psoriasis.

LovageLevisticum officinale – Lovage is used as a digestive aid. It eases inward pains. This herb is also known to diminish redness of the eyes.

PennyroyalMentha pulegium – Pennyroyal is said to ease headaches. It has been used as a remedy for colicky pains in the abdomen. It has also been known to ease the feverish symptoms that come with measles and whooping cough.

PoppyPapaver rhoeas – The poppy is known to soothe coughs and induce sleep. The petals are helpful in treating asthma, bronchitis, whooping cough and angina.

PrimrosePrimula vulgaris – Primrose, a sedative, induces rest and sleep by reducing tension. An infusion of the root taken in spoonful doses is effective in healing headaches. It has also been used for treating gout and rheumatism.

Rosemary - Rosmarinus officinalis – Rosemary has been used to treat headaches, epilepsy and poor circulation. It can also be used as a disinfectant in the form of mouth wash and also to treat fever. It is also reported to stop dandruff and improve memory.

SageSalvia officinalis – Sage is helpful for head pains, hoarseness and cough. It is one of the best known remedies for laryngitis, tonsillitis and sore throats. An infusion of the herb sweetened with honey is mildly laxative and stimulates menstrual flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No they're not. I spent my entire life in business. I never drank during lunch and never heard of anyone who did, except alcoholics.

Potheads are just potheads.
Like alcoholics, they think they are doing just fine. In reality, they are going through life impaired; they just can't see it. Everyone else can, though.
Well your own life must be representative right?

I've had many drinks with clients at lunch meetings you ever heard of drink professional? Scotch (or Tequila) in the office for meetings?

It's real.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I spent my entire life in business. I never drank during lunch and never heard of anyone who did, except alcoholics.
That statement is proof to most readers of this thread of how out of touch you really are. It happens all the time. Every single day. Go to a popular up-scale restaurant that caters to business people, the type of place that won't even let you in without a coat and tie, and ask them what their average liquor sales are for the typical lunch crowd.

Quote:
Potheads are just potheads.
Like alcoholics, they think they are doing just fine. In reality, they are going through life impaired; they just can't see it. Everyone else can, though.
This statement shows that you have fallen into the same trap the other posters who say the same thing has fallen into. You look at people, point at the obvious examples, and say "There's one. There's another one. There's one over there too. Potheads are easy to spot". That means all the others are not potheads, right? Wrong. A substantial percentage of those people do indeed use cannabis, many of them daily, just like a good percentage of them have a drink or two daily, every night after getting home from work. Although you will always deny this, I can assure you that you are in fact around many cannabis users every single day that you would never suspect, and you have absolutely no way to tell it.

It is just amazing to me that so many posters with absolutely no experience with it believe they are such experts.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
So why do you not pound the drum about how wrong and destructive it is to use any of the plants listed below? People who are able to see the bigger picture knows that cannabis would be on this list too, with no one raising an issue with it, except that the cannabis plant was singled out and demonized many decades ago for reasons that have nothing to do with the plants qualities.

Do you consider any human beings that use any of these plants to help with any of these symptoms to be unnatural and diminished?

Chamomile – Anthemis nobilis – Chamomile is said to take away weariness and pain/inflammation of the bowels. The oil from the flowers can be used against many pains and aches, including joint cramps. Chamomile is also helpful in healing migraines and regulating menstrual periods.

Cinquefoil – Potentilla reptans – Cinquefoil is used to reduce inflammation. It can also treat sore mouths and ulcers. The juice is known to aid jaundice. As well as helping hoarseness of the throat and cough, Cinquefoil can be applied to painful joints.

Columbine – Aquilegia vulgaris – Because columbine is slightly poisonous, its astringent properties are mainly exploited in lotions and used externally.

Feverfew – Chrysanthemum parthenium - Feverfew is known as an effective treatment for migraine headaches and fevers. It may also help ease diseases like arthritis.

Foxglove – Digitalis purpurea – A pure form of the plant is used to strengthen cardiac contractility and regulates heart rhythm.

Golden Rod – Solidago virgaurea – Golden rod can be used as a treatment for painful menstruation, arthritis and eczema. Externally, it can be applied to skin ulcers to stimulate healing.

Lady's Mantle – lchemilla vulgaris - This herb has been used to cure excessive menstruation. The root of lady's mantle has been recommended to stop bleeding.

Lavender – Lavandula angustifolia – Lavender prevents fainting and allays nausea. In oil form, it is often used in therapeutic baths to reduce stress. It can also lower blood pressure. A small amount makes a useful application on skin diseases like eczema and psoriasis.

Lovage – Levisticum officinale – Lovage is used as a digestive aid. It eases inward pains. This herb is also known to diminish redness of the eyes.

Pennyroyal – Mentha pulegium – Pennyroyal is said to ease headaches. It has been used as a remedy for colicky pains in the abdomen. It has also been known to ease the feverish symptoms that come with measles and whooping cough.

Poppy – Papaver rhoeas – The poppy is known to soothe coughs and induce sleep. The petals are helpful in treating asthma, bronchitis, whooping cough and angina.

Primrose – Primula vulgaris – Primrose, a sedative, induces rest and sleep by reducing tension. An infusion of the root taken in spoonful doses is effective in healing headaches. It has also been used for treating gout and rheumatism.

Rosemary - Rosmarinus officinalis – Rosemary has been used to treat headaches, epilepsy and poor circulation. It can also be used as a disinfectant in the form of mouth wash and also to treat fever. It is also reported to stop dandruff and improve memory.

Sage – Salvia officinalis – Sage is helpful for head pains, hoarseness and cough. It is one of the best known remedies for laryngitis, tonsillitis and sore throats. An infusion of the herb sweetened with honey is mildly laxative and stimulates menstrual flow.
Some of these pro cannabis arguments are looking desperate, and this one really tops it. Or if you really believe it it shows how out of touch with reality pot users are. You want to compare it to chamomile tea and things people have been putting in their cooking and serving to children for decades. I think this post hurt your article more than helped it.

Here is what I get from the pro argument. All of you want us to believe that pot doesn't impair someones judgement. It makes you smarter. It will help you improve your life, gain financial success, help you keep yourself in a profession career that requires clear thinking. Really? Or that it is a substance that does nothing to your mind like the list above. I have a question then. If it pretty much does nothing much just like everything in the above list, why do it regularly? And the argument in the OP said regularly. Feeling the effects of it every day. I have tried medicinal herbs to help medical things in the past, including a few things on this list and it doesn't work. And my mind stayed clear the whole time. Doesn't compare. The medicinal herb stuff is fluff and nothing mostly. You can't compare any of these to something as mind altering like pot or alcohol.

I wish I knew what the OP meant by regular use. I like to have a beer or glass of wine most days. At the end of the day when I'm done. Sometimes two. I guess that's regular. Does it help my work? No. Is it possible to do my job effectively? Of course. What if I quit? Would my job suffer? no. I refuse to admit that recreational pot is good for you and helps you either. Why are so many of you trying to make people believe it helps if you make it a big part of your life?

Old 05-05-2016, 08:26 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
404 error code..this page is missing message

I know potsters like to tout this for uber mj sites
Potential unrealized is unrealized correct?

What could Timothy Leary have discovered if he wasn't zonked on LSD?

See?.. We don't know

How about personally for you users on this board..raise your hand if your a rocket scientist and at the top of your profession?

Now.. Can you function selling pot at the local dispensary.. Sure.. As long as we have the camera on the cash drawer and bud vault... Sticky dope..sticky fingers...which msthes the studies.. See rscky mountain high report august 2015
Link works fine.

Think of all the things Leary discovered because of his experimentation with LSD. It's not even worth getting into the science behind it, because you would just object and aren't open minded enough to think greater than yourself. You are married to your dogma.

Until you know what the humans maximum potential is, your repetitive line is moot.

As for the last bit, it's such an incoherent ramble, I am not sure what to make of it. Are you saying that anyone who works in a dispensary is a thief? What about pharmacists? Coroner Store operators? Any where there are humans and cash there is a potential for theft.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Some of these pro cannabis arguments are looking desperate, and this one really tops it. Or if you really believe it it shows how out of touch with reality pot users are. You want to compare it to chamomile tea and things people have been putting in their cooking and serving to children for decades. I think this post hurt your article more than helped it.
That is not what I was doing at all. Please look at the remarks I was responding to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer
Look at a person before they use any drug...
Look at that same person using any drug

They are not the same person

Give me an all natural human being anyday
^^^Given that remark, I am trying to expose Notme's agenda by showing that the extremely wide brush that he paints with should cover those herbs also.

Quote:
Here is what I get from the pro argument. All of you want us to believe that pot doesn't impair someones judgement. It makes you smarter. It will help you improve your life, gain financial success, help you keep yourself in a profession career that requires clear thinking. Really? Or that it is a substance that does nothing to your mind like the list above. I have a question then. If it pretty much does nothing much just like everything in the above list, why do it regularly? And the argument in the OP said regularly. Feeling the effects of it every day. I have tried medicinal herbs to help medical things in the past, including a few things on this list and it doesn't work. And my mind stayed clear the whole time. Doesn't compare. The medicinal herb stuff is fluff and nothing mostly. You can't compare any of these to something as mind altering like pot or alcohol.
Wow, you are really off base. I wish you could read my posts with a little less bias. It is your bias that made you think in an earlier post that I was criticizing someone for trying to discourage kids from using pot. I thought I had set you straight on that, but you continue to look past that points I am making so that you can spin it into your interpretation of them. I never said "It will help you improve your life, gain financial success, help you keep yourself in a profession career that requires clear thinking." Stop trying to read your bias into my posts and then using it to put words in my mouth.

What I am trying to express is that it does not necessarily prevent someone from having a full, productive life with financial success, in a professional career that requires clear thinking. For some, there is no way they should be using it, and when they do it is detrimental to them. But for the majority of users, which numbers in the millions, their responsible use is not a hindrance.

I hope you can see the difference in what you are trying to spin my posts into, and my actual meaning.
Quote:
I wish I knew what the OP meant by regular use. I like to have a beer or glass of wine most days. At the end of the day when I'm done. Sometimes two. I guess that's regular. Does it help my work? No. Is it possible to do my job effectively? Of course. What if I quit? Would my job suffer? no.
Yes, daily use is what I meant, just like you use alcohol daily. You are responsible with your alcohol use. The same is possible with cannabis, and it happens in millions of households daily.

Quote:
I refuse to admit that recreational pot is good for you and helps you either. Why are so many of you trying to make people believe it helps if you make it a big part of your life?
Again, that is NOT what we are saying. We are saying it CAN help, not that is WILL help. I hope you recognize that important difference.

One of the reasons why big high tech companies like Apple, Goggle, Microsoft, etc. do not regularly test for it is because in that industry most of the best talent uses it. That is because it really can help certain people with intense focus, if you are using the right strain. If you do not believe that then I can't help your denial.

Please note I did NOT say that is because it really can help everyone with intense focus, if you are using the right strain. So please do not again try to spin that into something I did not say.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:14 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Nah. Stoners only think they are doing well. Everyone else is laughing at them.

Pot gradually erodes your decision making ability and in the end, you're just a pothead. Nothing more.
Actually many are entrepreneurs.......I know a guy and his wife that smoked pot in the 70's while dredging for gold in the river during the summer. By the 80's he was opening his own gold shop and selling a magazine that he published telling about historical gold mining in the West. He now owns a million dollar home in the mountains, his business is worth millions.......well on his way to fine retirement. Not all pot smokers think big, but many do.........

This is why I went with..........Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off

I have certainly seen, pot smokers, alcohol drinkers and sex addicts who can't seem to get past their own woes.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:23 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Actually many are entrepreneurs.......I know a guy and his wife that smoked pot in the 70's while dredging for gold in the river during the summer. By the 80's he was opening his own gold shop and selling a magazine that he published telling about historical gold mining in the West. He now owns a million dollar home in the mountains, his business is worth millions.......well on his way to fine retirement. Not all pot smokers think big, but many do.........

This is why I went with..........Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off

I have certainly seen, pot smokers, alcohol drinkers and sex addicts who can't seem to get past their own woes.
Sir Richard Branson, Oprah, Warren Buffet, Rick Steves, Martha Stewart, Seth MacFarlane, just to name a few, have all done very well.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That is not what I was doing at all. Please look at the remarks I was responding to:

^^^Given that remark, I am trying to expose Notme's agenda by showing that the extremely wide brush that he paints with should cover those herbs also.

Wow, you are really off base. I wish you could read my posts with a little less bias. It is your bias that made you think in an earlier post that I was criticizing someone for trying to discourage kids from using pot. I thought I had set you straight on that, but you continue to look past that points I am making so that you can spin it into your interpretation of them. I never said "It will help you improve your life, gain financial success, help you keep yourself in a profession career that requires clear thinking." Stop trying to read your bias into my posts and then using it to put words in my mouth.

What I am trying to express is that it does not necessarily prevent someone from having a full, productive life with financial success, in a professional career that requires clear thinking. For some, there is no way they should be using it, and when they do it is detrimental to them. But for the majority of users, which numbers in the millions, their responsible use is not a hindrance.

I hope you can see the difference in what you are trying to spin my posts into, and my actual meaning.

Yes, daily use is what I meant, just like you use alcohol daily. You are responsible with your alcohol use. The same is possible with cannabis, and it happens in millions of households daily.

Again, that is NOT what we are saying. We are saying it CAN help, not that is WILL help. I hope you recognize that important difference.

One of the reasons why big high tech companies like Apple, Goggle, Microsoft, etc. do not regularly test for it is because in that industry most of the best talent uses it. That is because it really can help certain people with intense focus, if you are using the right strain. If you do not believe that then I can't help your denial.

Please note I did NOT say that is because it really can help everyone with intense focus, if you are using the right strain. So please do not again try to spin that into something I did not say.
My vote was the yes possible, but only a minority pull it off.

Do you have data to prove what you say about google and apple? I think most employers don't regularly test for it. Did these companies say that was the reason? Or did you? Aren't those jobs where someone else won't get injured if they are high?

I only go off what I see and what people I know tell me. All regular pot users that I know of aren't that successful. That the successful ones may be doing it regularly and not telling me is hard for me to believe. Also define success. Is it on the edge financially aka always broke and worried about money is what you define as success because someone you are still surviving? I haven't known a regular pot user that isn't like this. The heavy drinkers fall into this too, but not the on a regular basis responsible drinkers.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:33 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Sir Richard Branson, Oprah, Warren Buffet, Rick Steves, Martha Stewart, Seth MacFarlane, just to name a few, have all done very well.
Yes, but think of how far they would have gotten without the evil weed. Instead of billions, they probably would have had trillions!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies