Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:02 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times

Advertisements

To answer the original question, yes. I don't smoke pot and wouldn't want my kids to, but some brilliant minds have been those of pot smokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 07:10 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
To answer the original question, yes. I don't smoke pot and wouldn't want my kids to, but some brilliant minds have been those of pot smokers.

Carl Sagan is the first name that popped into my mind when I read that.

Carl Sagan's essay on cannabis - News - Azarius

Old 05-08-2016, 09:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Oh yeah, that's real easy all right. How about it is IMPOSSIBLE as long as cannabis remains listed as a Schedule I drug.

If you want to read about studies, you need to look overseas. Lots of research has been done. The rest of the world is way ahead of us. In the meantime, check these links out:

Sanjay Gupta: Time for a medical marijuana revolution - CNN.com

Weed 3: The Marijuana Revolution - CNN.com

All 3 of the "Weed" series that aired on CNN are available on youtube. You can see the beneficial effects happen RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES (like that will make a difference).

In the meantime, the longer we drag this out, the more people are harmed EACH AND EVERY DAY by the stupid war against a plant.

If you want to learn more about the damaging effects of continuing the failed war on drugs, here is a good resource:

Every day, more people agree that the U.S. War on Drugs has failed… | The House I Live In

Not at all. You need permission to test the drug. I'll believe it's medicinal and not just about getting high when I see double blind studies showing the medicinal benefits over a placebo effect.

Programs claiming benefits are not the same thing as actual double blind studies. They're just claims. You can claim anything you want about anything you want. Belief is a strong thing. That's why there is a placebo effect. That's why you need a double blind study to prove the point. Post those and I'll read them.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not at all. You need permission to test the drug. I'll believe it's medicinal and not just about getting high when I see double blind studies showing the medicinal benefits over a placebo effect.

Programs claiming benefits are not the same thing as actual double blind studies. They're just claims. You can claim anything you want about anything you want. Belief is a strong thing. That's why there is a placebo effect. That's why you need a double blind study to prove the point. Post those and I'll read them.
You just don't get it. Your ignorance on this subject is in full display.

The permission you are referring to means the government provides your samples from their 2 acre farm in Mississippi. One strain. If you want to test different strains for different qualities, then you have to buy it or grow it, both of which puts you in violation of federal law.

The Feds have it locked down TIGHT for a reason. If you would only study the history of cannabis prohibition then light bulbs would light in your head, just like they did for Dr. Gupta.

What do you have to say to Beth56 and vicky3vicky? Are their testimonies lies? If not, are they to be disregarded just because US companies are prohibited from performing double-blind studies by federal law? If they are to be disregarded, then should they be harshly punished for their use?

Please at least reread their posts before you answer that.

Last edited by Raddo; 05-08-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You can claim anything you want about anything you want. Belief is a strong thing. That's why there is a placebo effect. That's why you need a double blind study to prove the point. Post those and I'll read them.
LOL! So a toddler in the early stages of a seizure who immediately returns to normal as soon as a dose of Charlotte's Web cannabis oil is administered works only because the child BELIEVES it will help?

Ridiculous!

But you can see that happen several times by watching those links I posted for you, but only if you were genuinely interested in learning.

I also disagree with you about something else. I do NOT believe you would change your mind even if a double-blind study was presented to you that proves the medicinal benefits. You somehow got yourself a double-dose of brainwashing, and there is no science that will change that.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
That's why you need a double blind study to prove the point. Post those and I'll read them.
Read away. Notice they are all UK doctors. I wonder why?

Do cannabis-based medicinal extracts have general or specific effects on symptoms in multiple sclerosis? A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study on 160 patients

Quote:
Spasticity VAS scores were significantly reduced by CBME (Sativex) in comparison with placebo (P- 0.001). There were no significant adverse effects on cognition or mood and intoxication was generally mild.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:44 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
All they have to do is put marijuana through the same testing process other medicinal drugs are put through and it could be legally sold in pharmacies. This is one of the issues I have with it. No one has really studied the medicinal effects. We just have people claiming they're there. You really need to do a blind study to find out if it's more than the placebo effect. If anyone knows of such as study I'd love to read it.
Here, ya don't even have to read. Give this a watch.

Cannabis Research Studies - Top Documentary Films

Quote:
Israel is the marijuana research capital of the world. The man who started it all, the grandfather of the marijuana research, is Professor Raphael Mechoulam. He is a chemist and he became interested in marijuana in the 1960s. Morphine had been isolated from opium in the early 19th century, cocaine had been isolated from coca leaves in the mid 19th century and yet in the mid 20th century the chemistry of the cannabis was not known.

It looked like an interesting project but not an easy one because in Israel, like almost everywhere else, marijuana was illegal. So how did Professor Raphael Mechoulam get the marijuana for his work? He went to the police and took five kilos of hashish. He didn't have a car at that time so he used public transport for carrying the hashish, while people were complaining of the strange smell. They tested the "merchandize" on few volunteers including themselves.

It might seem like a simple experiment but the results were revolutionary. They were the first to isolate THC and CBD decades ago - two ingredients in marijuana that might have powerful abilities to treat disease. In Israel today marijuana is an accepted part of medical care - for pain, for cancer patients, for sleep problems, epilepsy, and digestive problems. They're even looking at Parkinson's and Tourette's. The list is expanding but there hasn't been too much research in patients because it's very difficult to do that... especially in the United States which classifies marijuana as a dangerous Schedule 1 drug.

In the US researchers have to jump through extra hoops to work with it. It's expensive and time consuming but the grandfather of this science says he is proof it can be done. Over the last forty years his work has been supported by the National Institute of Health. And now the country's ministry of health licensed 10,000 patients to use marijuana medicinally and has approved more than a dozen studies to treat illnesses like PTSD, pain, Crohn's disease, and even cancer.
Give THIS a read.

Flex your head and watch
THIS.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:26 AM

1,042 posts, read 874,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I did. Why I asked who was dying. I mean a claim was that a life was saved by dope. How is that possible.
Okay, the head neurologist of Denver Childrens' hospital referred to my sons' pain as the "most excruciating pain humanly possible." His condition is very rare and the few cases that the neurologist had heard about, the victims took their own lives.

After he discovered how much the mmj was helping, he showed us what I had thought was his journal. It was filled with sample suicide notes. He had been writing them trying to find one that he was sure we would understand and not hurt us.

So, for those of you who might say that his illness was not killing him, that he had a choice whether to end his life or not. I am not even sure why I am bothering to respond BUT he weighed 72 pounds at 14 years of age. His blood pressure, despite medications, was at stroke level, and he could not even use the restroom without assistance. His eyes were constantly red with broken blood vessels. So much more too painful to mention.

When people question whether it was "right" to treat our son with cannabis, intellectually, I know you mean no serious harm, but emotionally, In my heart, I am thinking "why did you want my baby boy to die?"

I wanted to add that LJ is now almost 23 years old. No, he is not "cured" but he is doing so much better. Like me, LJ is Autistic and a Disabilities and Autistic activist. He is helping to build a retreat center that will be run totally by Autistic people, Ocate Cliffs, in New Mexico. He is also taking over my role of coordinator for AutHaven, a 4 day retreat for Autistic people in Colorado.

He will probably never work a "regular" job, but he is developing skills as a 'picker" and he fixes and sells the items he finds. He is also working with me on jewelry and creating his own personal brand.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:28 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Because of the previous thread that was closed before we had a chance to solve all the world's problems, I thought it would be good to start a new one, one that addresses this question specifically.

I already know the answer, and when looking through past threads, I get the sense that most others do too. This is based simply on the fact that the number of posters who believe that the "stoner" stereotype is all there is to cannabis usage is such a small percentage of the total number of posters. I would like to verify this by taking a poll.
Define regular user.......

Smokes everyday after work........yes

Smokes all day long everyday.........some can, but they always seem to have issues.

I'm currently breaking up with my GF because of her pot addiction, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask right now. With that being said, I would estimate that about half my friends smoke pot. Of that half, about a third habitually smoke or have a problem with it in regards to addiction.

While almost all of these heavy users work and can support themselves for the most part, the majority of them are train wrecks. They have problems with relationships, finances, or holding a job. They're bad parents or pet owners. Many are chronically depressed or have Anxiety issues. A lot of them are anti-social, lazy, or addicted to video games. In general, they're high maintenance people because you can't do anything with them unless pot is involved. They're entire existence is based on getting high. They'll constantly talk about pot, read about it, or stare at pictures of it on the Internet.

I don't get it. I used to smoke pot pretty often but only do it once in a blue moon these days. I think it's fine in moderation just like anything else, but I've always thought the biggest problem with cannabis is that it's REALLY easy to abuse. This is because one can build a huge tolerance to it, it's not viewed in the same light as harder drugs, and it also doesn't have the same level of negative health effects as harder drugs or alcohol. You can't really smoke yourself to death overnight.

I'm not a big fan of the entire culture, but to each their own I guess.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:45 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Notme,

You going too respond to my post #420? Lol. That's a coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies