Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What do you know about what it takes to be a professional? You're a police officer, a blue-collar job.

All your blustering about people who don't realize their full potential because they smoke pot... what's your excuse?
Best post in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 10:15 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What do you know about what it takes to be a professional? You're a police officer, a blue-collar job.

All your blustering about people who don't realize their full potential because they smoke pot... what's your excuse?
Is there a question in there that is cogent and not a personal attack?

Now..as to more intelligent posters

Sure.. I learn alot from potheads... To the extent it's my job to deal with them. Many are nice people.. Some are the professionals alluded to in this post.. But for me most ..at least the ones i get exposed to in depth are simply drug users ruining my community.

Some of you in here are very nice.. Passionate..knowledgeable about your drug use..some of you are mj afficiandos and are very skilled at being high and discriminating in your selection of bud.. Some of you are pretty harmless.. You want to get your high on and not bother anyone

Drug users are for the most part flawed... And do not see the harm they do.. Nor will they ever accept it.. In my world drug use gets rammed down the throats of communities that don't want it. What I've seen are communities that quickly tire of stupid mj behavior and move to codify it. There isn't any drug use that is good for the world... None.

Does that mean it can be stopped..of course not.. It can only be addressed... And will be as the drumbeat and money of legalization moves forward. Little will change for my community..we are already inundated with stoners..if anything a bunch more money will come to the enforcement education and treatment models. Several large scale agricultural operations have publicly stated they would bid for the right to grow it. Taking it away from granny 12 plant.. They want to be professional pot growers for discriminating professional pot users.

We are getting way ahead of where we are currently. The chief health officer is dead set against more drugs in our community. The overwhelming amount of voters are against unfettered mj in our community..which is why granny 12 plant passed even though the ACLU and potproponents outspent the moderation folks tenfold

It's going to be a rocky 20 years.. There will be no winners...

Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

Sure.. I learn alot from potheads... To the extent it's my job to deal with them. Many are nice people.. Some are the professionals alluded to in this post.. But for me most ..at least the ones i get exposed to in depth are simply drug users ruining my community.

Some of you in here are very nice.. Passionate..knowledgeable about your drug use..some of you are mj afficiandos and are very skilled at being high and discriminating in your selection of bud.. Some of you are pretty harmless.. You want to get your high on and not bother anyone

Drug users are for the most part flawed... And do not see the harm they do.. Nor will they ever accept it.. In my world drug use gets rammed down the throats of communities that don't want it. What I've seen are communities that quickly tire of stupid mj behavior and move to codify it. There isn't any drug use that is good for the world... None.

Does that mean it can be stopped..of course not.. It can only be addressed... And will be as the drumbeat and money of legalization moves forward. Little will change for my community..we are already inundated with stoners..if anything a bunch more money will come to the enforcement education and treatment models. Several large scale agricultural operations have publicly stated they would bid for the right to grow it. Taking it away from granny 12 plant.. They want to be professional pot growers for discriminating professional pot users.

We are getting way ahead of where we are currently. The chief health officer is dead set against more drugs in our community. The overwhelming amount of voters are against unfettered mj in our community..which is why granny 12 plant passed even though the ACLU and potproponents outspent the moderation folks tenfold

Pot is a natural plant that has been around for centuries. People who are prescribed opiates are the abusers because they become addicted to a manufactured drug. And when they can't get them, they turn to heroin which is cheap. We have an epidemic with heroin and you are worried about pot. That's messed up

Old 05-12-2016, 11:38 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Drug users are for the most part flawed...
Your logic is for the most part, flawed. You don't know most drug users. By your own accord, you only know the drug users you come in contact with, which are criminals. That is your frame of reference, and you are not astute enough to realize your sample set is highly skewed. You've never known successful people who smoke pot because you don't come in contact with them. Therefore, you think they don't exist. That causes you to make ludicrously ignorant blanket statements like the one above. You simply don't know the percentage of responsible people who smoke pot versus derelicts. And don't pretend you do, because you don't. You are what's technically known as a bigot. That's not a personal attack, it's an observation. You are bigoted against pot smokers because the only ones you've met are low-life criminals. Because of this, you're not a good cop. You're biased which clouds your judgement.

You don't drink alcohol; you called it poison. So odds are you're either a Mormon, or an alcoholic. It's a drug of course, so at least you're consistent. But given that 75% of Americans drink alcohol, that means most of your coworkers drink alcohol. How do you feel about the fact that your partner who's supposed to have your back had a few drinks last night? Or maybe he had a couple of joints? You don't know. You can only judge your fellow officers on how they behave. That's the way it should be.

The majority of Americans are good productive people, regardless of whether they drink or smoke pot . It's not pot or alcohol that determined their lot in life, it's genetics and environment. Sure, the majority of low-lifes and losers probably smoke pot. Guess what, they drink beer too. But excessive drugs and alcohol are the symptoms, not the cause. You need to open your mind and think it through. I don't think you will though, as you sound pretty set in your ways.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:24 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Oh when I retire and I'm too old to do much I plan on experimenting with lots of drugs. When you're young you have the world at your feet. Your future is uncharted. IMO when you're old and sitting around the old folks home waiting for your number to come up is the time to start experimenting with alternate realities. Who cares if I kill my brain cells when I'm 80 and living in a senior center? I won't need them for much then. I need all of them right now so I'll keep them unpickled.

If I were inclined to do drugs I wouldn't because I agree that it's not worth my career.
Retiring at 50 and will still be young and healthy, God willing. Smoking a few times a month is reasonable in the comfort of your own home.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:

You have let your career make you biased. Your arguments don't mean squat until you openly call for the banning of ALL ALCOHOL.

But that can't be done because there is too much demand and making it illegal would rise another era of Al Capone's.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:56 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Pot is a natural plant that has been around for centuries. People who are prescribed opiates are the abusers because they become addicted to a manufactured drug. And when they can't get them, they turn to heroin which is cheap. We have an epidemic with heroin and you are worried about pot. That's messed up
The poppy plant is a natural plant that has been around for centuries. People who have used one natural plant justify their abuse with that reason and that's messed up. Heroin comes from a natural plant.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The poppy plant is a natural plant that has been around for centuries. People who have used one natural plant justify their abuse with that reason and that's messed up. Heroin comes from a natural plant.
Those have to be processed, no?

Old 05-13-2016, 02:18 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
I don't even know why I waste my time anymore.

Quote:
Use is abuse.
If a person who rarely or never drinks has (uses) a glass with the drug Champagne in it on New Years Eve, they are abusing a drug in T's view of the world.

Quote:
I think T believes people can just grow poppy plants, pick them from the ground and use them like heroin.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
I don't even know why I waste my time anymore.

If a person who rarely or never drinks has (uses) a glass with the drug Champagne in it on New Years Eve, they are abusing a drug in T's view of the world.

I think T believes people can just grow poppy plants, pick them from the ground and use them like heroin.
People like T are in the minority, thankfully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies