Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 02:35 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It would require all to be flexible and for science to prevail.

As far as the success of legalization; let's wait a few years. Let's see if the cancer rates go up and burden the system. Let's see, if over time, more young start using. I try not to have my head in the sand; I do follow the news like: After two years, debate remains over marijuana legalization's impacts - The Denver Post.
And during that time, more lives are ruined by prohibition EVERY SINGLE DAY. If you don't know that, then you do indeed have your head in the sand.

Every day, more people agree that the U.S. War on Drugs has failed… | The House I Live In

Cancer rates? Millions have used it regularly for over 40 years. Myself, I am nearing 45 years. I have numerous friends that are also long-term users. I have lost none of them to cancer.

This Is What 50 Years of Cannabis Does To The Human Body

All you are doing by wanting to prolong the failed war is maximizing the harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 02:45 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
All you are doing by wanting to prolong the failed war is maximizing the harm.

No; I don't like things done half*****! I want us to get it done right the first time. This has been around forever. I acknowledge that users are not the only ones to blame. Government should assume much of the blame. But we still need agreement and I don't want more crappy, state by state disagreements. many states are considering this legislation; I just want to see it done right for the safety of all.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:52 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,571 times
Quote:
No; I don't like things done half*****! I want us to get it done right the first time. This has been around forever. I acknowledge that users are not the only ones to blame. Government should assume much of the blame. But we still need agreement and I don't want more crappy, state by state disagreements. many states are considering this legislation; I just want to see it done right for the safety of all.
Wow. It is like there are people being slaughtered right in front of your eyes, every day, but instead of acting to stop it, you form a committee to make sure the intervention to stop the carnage is done right the first time!

Someone's priorities are screwed up. Especially since you seem to think that since the carnage has been going on "forever", what difference will a few more years make?

In those few years, MILLIONS more lives will have been ruined.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
The solutions being sought however are not to detect impairment. They are to detect byproducts of MJ that may correspond to MJ impairment. If you seriously want safety of all why would you not go after all impairment. I believe it has been established that simply being awake 24 hours creates impairment worse than .08 alcohol. And many of those of my age are impaired at that level when they get behind a steering wheel at any time.

So why not go after a universal test for impairment and use it in any relevant situation.

The concentration on MJ remains counter productive.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:39 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Quote:
When has the government EVER gotten it right the first try?!

Old 05-14-2016, 04:12 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
When has the government EVER gotten it right the first try?!

Prohibition has been in force for 77 years. that's like the batter getting striked out 77 times in a row..

Old 05-14-2016, 04:25 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
And don't forget thc breath testing already in preliminary stages
Portable mass spectrometer... And while I profess no proficiency I have seen a test unit... Supposed to show the presence of active thc introduced into the system within the last two hours ..that ..WITH observations will convict
Well there ya go. With that there is no reason to be worried about enforcement for dui

Old 05-14-2016, 04:26 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
And don't forget thc breath testing already in preliminary stages
And only works to detect people who've smoked it, not eaten it. THC isn't eliminated through the lungs like alcohol.

Quote:
Portable mass spectrometer... And while I profess no proficiency I have seen a test unit... Supposed to show the presence of active thc introduced into the system within the last two hours ..that ..WITH observations will convict
You see, I don't understand one thing.

If you want to discover if someone is impaired, why not test to see if they're impaired?

A Breathalyser assumes 2100:1 ratio of breath to blood (so there's 2100 times more alcohol per liter of blood than per liter of breath). However clinically the range has been determined as between 1700:1 and 3100:1 between breaths, so someone blowing 0.08% on a meter (0.1mg/l) isn't conclusive scientifically that the BAC is 0.08mg, the one test there is that can conclusively demonstrate it is not permitted to be performed without medical supervision (a blood test).

However someone may not be significantly impaired at 0.08% BAC, someone else may be seriously impaired at 0.08% BAC. So why not test for impairment? It's not hard, you need to test for typical driving skills, reaction time, speed estimation, prediction of other road traffic actions, staying in lane. All that's pretty easy to test. It's even getting easier as technology can provide a cast iron entirely objective test, fail a series of tests, or a category of tests and you might be a puritan, vegan, mineral water only drinking pastor, and you are impaired. Further the tech can lock the data so that it's only able to be transferred to the police systems, and then the police or public prosecutor (not the arresting officer) can make a call whether or not to pursue the case, there can be an automatic audit chain of the data. Thus less risk of corruption of police officers getting bribed with various offers from people suspected of being DUI, sure they could take the bribe, but they can't eliminate the charge.

So instead of having a relatively simple objective series of tests presented on a cellphone, tablet or laptop, we have tests for secondary indicators that may or may not indicate impairment and are limited to the substances that cause impairment. You're never going to catch someone who is sleep deprived enough to cause a degree of impairment with a blood, urine or mouth swab, but they're just as impaired and dangerous as someone with a BAC of 0.08%. You're never going to catch the diabetic (who know's it or not) who is marginally hypoglycemic and impaired, you'll never catch the person with allergies who's doped up on diphenhydramine (which also has sedative properties, and is also used occasionally as a recreational drug [whodathunkit!]), there are millions of ways people can be impaired and running tests for a few known substances or metabolites only can detect those who are impaired for those substances or the precursors to the metabolites.

Further it sends the wrong message, we all know that driving while tired is a road hazard, it's why there are limits on commercial drivers, it's as high a risk as driving while drunk. However everyone does it, because at worst if they're stopped, there's really little the police can do other than subject them to a battery of tests that will come back negative and could be used to discredit any claims of impairment.

Impaired is impaired so why not test for impairment, ignore the cause because it's of little importance in whether or not someone is impaired.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:57 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
If
Professionals have standards.. Being high or even having the presence of an intoxicant is not a standard in any industry I am aware of
The standard I've always been held to is "here's the business goals, go meet them, don't care how, just do it".

It's like people crying that they lost a street fight because the other guy didn't fight fair, well that's like being a professional, you'll win your street fights by whatever means necessary, and as long as you keep meeting your goals, no one cares too much. Further one of my former employers had 3 month residential rehab for salaried (as part of it's health plan) available every 2 fiscal years (it's a fortune 500 and you will know the name).

Now you tell me, how is that company going to fire a salaried employee for exercising a benefit they provide for, and who to exercise it legally (without the use of fraud i.e. exercising it without need) must require that they be abusing a substance, most likely illegally obtained?

Old 05-14-2016, 05:01 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Someone who spends their life battling a plant sounds like a slave to me.

Last edited by Old Town FFX; 05-14-2016 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies