Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 08:20 PM

13,167 posts, read 21,736,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Wasn't shooting for engineer (why go lateral?). I was going for dispatcher or operations management (trainee or fast track). I know many very qualified people who have been denied by BNSF (many of them veterans like myself). Many have a Masters (like myself) in a direct or indirect field who got nothing but generic rejection letters. It's a tough go no matter how one looks at it.

That's besides the point of this thread. The true fact is that if the railroad and the federal government in general really cared about the dangers of marijuana at the workplace, they would utilize drug tests by mouth swab. This is the only way to test for recent use. And let me be very clear. Only recent use is a danger at the workplace. What anyone did (of a legal nature) on their own time far and away off the company clock is not their business. No more than a person who has a few beers or glasses of wine 10 or more hours from getting behind the throttle. Swabs test for use in the last 72 hours (sometimes longer). That is more than enough time to perform their job with complete clarity.

Just because you don't drink (or smoke) doesn't mean you have the right to deny what should be a right for other law abiding citizens. Nor does the government. Things are going to change, and that change is coming. Only time will tell.... Where you work, marijuana is not legal on a recreational basis (yet), but let's try to be fair when we're talking about impairment at work.
I'm out of reps for you, so I'll just say, spot-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,069,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Your entire post is a non-sequitur and does not address anything I said in my post.

Did you understand anything I wrote in it? It's not about interpretation, the report states quite clearly it's purpose. The data is not sufficient to make the arguments you're claiming. It's not about interpretation, it's about you finding a report that you think confirms your position, and trying to pass it off as such.

You don't know what a true professional would or would not do. You're a cop, you work with cops, criminals, and the occasional ADA who is as near to a professional as you're likely to get in your working life. You may know professionals socially, but you don't work with them, so how would you know how professionals work? Beyond a few anecdotes given you by possible social contacts? Further depending on the industry, what and how they work varies, the one critical aspect is that a professional is expected to get the job done, by whatever means necessary.

The questions you ask are an attempt to discredit people posting, you've used the same tactic throughout the whole thread. People are entitled to their opinion regardless of their personal connection with the subject. If they should not then you being a drug cop should be the first to recuse yourself (which would be the professional thing to do), you have a financial interest in maintaining the prohibition of cannabis, because your salary is in partly dependent on that prohibition and regulation.
It's pretty simple.. Why address you?.. Did you give yourself some title of self importance that requires it... Nope..
Feel free not to respond to me... I realize it might be difficult but like the mods say... If you're enraged don't get engaged..

Are you a marijuana user
Are you a professional
Are you productive

Thats what the thread is about...you aren't even close... But hey...I have learned that marijuana use does make staying on point difficult at best.. Don't you agree? This is but another good reason professionals shouldn't use it.
I thought I would see some thc laden positive time work productivity studies proffered by you....guess I'll be disappointed

There's work a plenty my friend... Always has been always will be.. We both know legalization will fatten the coffers of government on the one hand while performing a brain drain of our most valuable asset..human beings... on the other

I think it's pretty clear the position you have staked out...

Me..I'd love less government.. Marijuana won't help to that end one bit...people think if the stinkweed is legalized all of a sudden nirvana happens... Nope..same stuff different problem.. More mj..more problems.. Drugs do that to people...don't you agree?

As far as police and professional qualifications.. Education.. Background.. Training..you are out of touch.. You like to call it a blue collar job.. That went out in the 70s my friend... We get paid to be highly educated and recieve differential pay for anything over a b.a....top step line officers in large career oriented departments are well over 100 k in salary today..equaling or besting many professional career positions. We are more highly trained..held to stricter standards than your standard professional... Most of your standard professionals today couldn't pass even entry level prerequisites...

But heck if it makes you feel better to compare..have at it.. Doesn't affect me..or my opinions one bit

For those of you addicted to pot..or any drug... Get help.. It's available.. No chains

Here..perhaps this is clear for you
Drugs are horrible for our world
Marijuana is a drug
Marijuana is horrible for the world

Will the sky fall..nope... Will it make the world better..absolutely not

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-15-2016 at 11:12 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 11:39 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,179,437 times
Slave to a plant, much more so than any cannabis user.

Talk about a plant running someone's life. Lol.

Must be frustrating working so many years against a plant. A plant that despite all efforts, continues to remain an extension of society and culture.

Empty, fruitless and dwindling... Not how I'd want to describe my job.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:46 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,591,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Anyone that uses an intoxicant is weak.
Weakness comes in many flavors. I've always felt that people who are smallminded, intolerant, self-righteous, and judgmental of the choices other people make in their personal lives are weak because the air of superiority with which they condescend to those people is simply a reflection of how threatened they feel by people who are different.

But by all means, keep blustering. If you need that to make you feel stronger, who am I to take away your security blanket?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:51 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,371,440 times
My friend smokes pot. Works at Darlington Nuclear power plant. You don't get into a facility like that by being unproductive, or an idiot.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:24 AM

13,167 posts, read 21,736,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Are you a marijuana user
Are you a professional
Are you productive
Why ask? You've spent the entire thread claiming those people don't exist.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:45 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,069,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
My friend smokes pot. Works at Darlington Nuclear power plant. You don't get into a facility like that by being unproductive, or an idiot.
Nor can he pass a legitimate drug test

Are you saying we should accept someone who chooses to alter themselves purposefully in critical positions

Do you think a nuclear operator is a critical position?

Does any user here feel that critical positions should not be filled with users?

Classical I'm OK syndrome

Now..I can't see any nuke plant today not drug testing it's employees...too much money..too much liability on the line to have people with substances in their body that alter the mind

Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,665,243 times
There are functional alcoholics, so I'm sure there can be functional stoners.

As long as you aren't under the influence at work, I fail to see the problem.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:26 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,402,868 times
"Regular" does not say how much.

Every weekend is regular, so is every day.

psik

Old 05-16-2016, 08:51 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,132,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Nor can he pass a legitimate drug test

Are you saying we should accept someone who chooses to alter themselves purposefully in critical positions

Do you think a nuclear operator is a critical position?

Does any user here feel that critical positions should not be filled with users?

Classical I'm OK syndrome

Now..I can't see any nuke plant today not drug testing it's employees...too much money..too much liability on the line to have people with substances in their body that alter the mind
Should they be allowed prescription drugs?

After all, there are many with far more affect on critical thinking.

While I don't believe those in critical positions should be under the influence of anything, given the choice, I'd sure as hell rather have someone be under the influence of THC than something like Ambien, Xanax, or a whole laundry list of other legal substances that have a far more deleterious affect on alertness and critical thinking skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies