Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:10 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I've never had to explain to someone the difference between something happening and evidence that this thing occurs all the time. Mostly becasue I've always had interactions with people who were capable of understanding that. So I'm not even sure what to say.

Of course women can be violent. Does this mean women are statistically more violent?

It's like saying because Donald Trump is most covered candidate on CNN, that he's the only candidate running.
I don't believe that women are statistically more violent, that's the point. Notice the difference in conclusions that are drawn based upon the alleged victim:

STATED PROBLEM: Men earn more money for the same job as women.
CONCLUSION: Women are discriminated against.

STATED PROBLEM: Men are going to jail 10x the rate of women.
CONCLUSION: Men are more violent than women.

Does anyone see a problem here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post

The question is, where your moral compass at that you would poke fun of oppressed people?
The joke is that men are not oppressed.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You forgot to add that men commit 90% of the crimes and cause 90% of the problems in the world.
Gender bashing at its most poignant.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:36 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Look at the fantasyland that Hollywood is creating more and more. The strong woman with the weak man nearby. The new agenda. The liberal lefts plan to destroy the family.
Maybe women are just tired of always being portrayed as the weak ones? The ones getting fought over or having to be rescued? When most movies fail the simple test of having two female characters talk to each other about something other than a man, don't you think that's a bit of a problem?

Quote:
I don't believe that women are statistically more violent, that's the point. Notice the difference in conclusions that are drawn based upon the alleged victim:

STATED PROBLEM: Men earn more money for the same job as women.
CONCLUSION: Women are discriminated against.

STATED PROBLEM: Men are going to jail 10x the rate of women.
CONCLUSION: Men are more violent than women.

Does anyone see a problem here?
Men also statistically commit 90% of murders. They murder women and they murder other men. Are you seriously going to say the ratio is really 50/50 and that 40% difference is women who got away with it? Really?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not sure exactly what your problem is here or what you feel should be done.
As far as alimony this is the outcome of male dominated society that prevented women from holding jobs and having careers. When you (general you but in this instance men) conquer, control and basically make others their property then you (men) are obligated to make them your responsibility.
Few men get alimony because few men give up careers to stay home and be househusbands and parent and support their wife’s career.
Do you suggest we discriminate against men in educational and career opportunities and pay them less so that their options are limited and more men will stay home and raise children?

You missed the whole point. Again, only 3% of alimony awards go to men despite being eligible for a much higher percentage. Any honest divorce lawyer will confirm that men don't receive alimony in contested divorce judgments, no matter what the 'law' says they are eligible for and no matter what the numbers say they should get.

Quote:
Combat fatalities. We have just recently allowed women in combat. Women not allowed in combat roles = no combat fatalities. Would you like to see unqualified women forced into combat roles? Discuss.
'Unqualified'? What does that mean, exactly? What 'qualifies' men to die in war, exactly? Your bias is clearly indicated by your speech.

Quote:
Suicide rates. Statistics also indicate >19% of suicide is by 85+/yr. olds, >19% 45-65 commit suicide, whites commit suicide more than twice the rate of blacks. One author studying the high male suicide rate attributed it to "In many ways, an increased risk of suicide for men can be seen as that old foe, the patriarchy, backfiring on itself. Rigid binary structures of gender have led to a cultural expectation that men won’t voice depressive feelings or problems with anxiety, preferring instead to suffer in silence until the suffering becomes unbearable and they remove themselves resignedly from the fold."
That's one way to look at it; but for me its not a very convincing one. The more reasonable explanation is that men are being forced out of their children's lives en masse, that divorced men are being forced into poverty en masse, that innocent men (and even men that are victims of crimes perpetrated by women) are being falsely accused, falsely prosecuted, and falsely jailed en masse, and that men are being marginalized by society at large en masse.

Quote:
Violence. It is just a biological fact that men are stronger, generally more aggressive and can do more physical harm than women. Not that it makes it right but this is why society doesn't take female on male aggression as seriously. There are sociological reasons related to social roles, evolutionary reason, and genetic reason (hormonal) that men are just more aggressive and violent. To top that off men are less likely to report or prosecute abuse.
"Not that it makes it right"-
If it's not right, why are you supporting it? And it's also not that men are less likely to report or prosecute abuse, its that law enforcement won't prosecute abuse perpetrated by women against men as a matter of policy.

Quote:
Custody and child support.
Well your FACTS are just not facts. Truth is most men dont file for custody when they do the majority do win custody. The reason most mothers will get default custody is becaues most mothers are the care givers of the children.
This part of your post is simply totally incorrect-
1. You have absolutely no idea whatsoever whether most men attempt to gain custody of their children. Fact of the matter is, the bias of the court system creates tremendous leverage for women in divorce (and especially if the couple was never married in the first place). This is female privilege.
2. Most men that file for custody do not win. Most of the time, the vast majority of the time, they go bankrupt and get destroyed in court. By my calculations, the average man is around 100-1 underdog to win custody in most states. In others, the odds may even be that low for even a 50/50 split. They may get joint legal custody, which is only 'custody' in name as the practical implications of an every other weekend schedule is that the dad is removed from the child's life.
3. 'Caregiver' is a buzzword/justification thrown around by those that support female privilege and male oppression. The truth is that in the practical real world, the orders from the temporary hearing become permanent over 95% of the time. Since most temp hearing are less than 5 minutes in length, and since most states don't allow witnesses or evidence in temp hearings, what do you think happens when both the mom and the dad claim to be the 'primary caregiver'? Hint: the man loses, despite the fact that the court has no proof as to who is telling the truth.

Quote:
Again I'm not sure what you think should be done it seems to me that all these things you consider male oppression and female privilege are in fact self blow back from self imposed consequences of a rigid binary gender structure
It's not self imposed. That's just blaming the victim, which demonstrates in and of itself your bias and discriminatory attitude against men. It's the problem of society, and as such we all share blame in the situation as it is today.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Look at the fantasyland that Hollywood is creating more and more. The strong woman with the weak man nearby. The new agenda. The liberal lefts plan to destroy the family.
Yes. You should also notice that advertising has become decidedly anti male in the last 10 years or so.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The joke is that men are not oppressed.
The joke is that people like you actually believe that men are not oppressed.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post

Men also statistically commit 90% of murders. They murder women and they murder other men. Are you seriously going to say the ratio is really 50/50 and that 40% difference is women who got away with it? Really?
I think your numbers are off. However, I do acknowledge that men commit murder at a higher rate than women do. However, I don't see how that proves that men are more violent than women. 'Violence' is a category in which murder is only an extremely small segment. In fact, murder is rare relative to the totality of violence.

Please understand, if there is anyone out there that has had family or loved ones murdered, I am truly sorry for your loss. Nothing justifies murder and I am sorry for what you are going through.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:12 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Maybe women are just tired of always being portrayed as the weak ones? The ones getting fought over or having to be rescued? When most movies fail the simple test of having two female characters talk to each other about something other than a man, don't you think that's a bit of a problem?

I don't think there is anything "weak" about a woman who is a good mother and supports her husband as head of the family. It worked great for a thousand years. Now look at what is happening to America.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:
I think your numbers are off. However, I do acknowledge that men commit murder at a higher rate than women do. However, I don't see how that proves that men are more violent than women. 'Violence' is a category in which murder is only an extremely small segment. In fact, murder is rare relative to the totality of violence.

Please understand, if there is anyone out there that has had family or loved ones murdered, I am truly sorry for your loss. Nothing justifies murder and I am sorry for what you are going through.
I got the numbers from the FBI. I think they would know something about the demographics of murder.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...10shrtbl03.xls

Of the 11,047 murders committed in 2010 where the offender's gender is known, men made up 9,972. The vast majority of murders are men. 9 out of 10 of them. Murder makes up a small part of violent crime, but if the sexes were equally violent you would expect those numbers to be closer to the male/female ratio. They are not. Can individual women be violent? Of course they can. But even counting the difference in conviction rates, there is no question men are statistically more prone to violence then women. None.

Quote:
I don't think there is anything "weak" about a woman who is a good mother and supports her husband as head of the family. It worked great for a thousand years. Now look at what is happening to America.
There is a difference between willingly being a good mother and supporting your husband and being forced into that role because it's the only one open to you. There's a lot of women who are not happy in that role and don't want it. Without some way of supporting themselves, what's going to happen to those supportive stay-at-home mothers when their looks start to decline and hubby goes shopping for a younger wife?

So what's the problem with showing active, strong women with agency in media? And seriously, you were the one who brought up the "weak man in the supporting role" argument. Is the man weak because he's performing the role, or because it's a role that women usually take and women are weak? Either way, you're basically saying women should always be portrayed as the weak ones in weak roles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies