Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 04:29 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,265,812 times

Advertisements

It takes a special kind of twisted mind to say mean things about a young woman's acceptance into Harvard. Some of you must have quite the miserable lives.

Anyway, I wish Malia nothing but the best.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:35 PM

58,679 posts, read 27,030,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Why wouldn't it be merit-based?
Ask all those on her have say over and over that the ONLY way many white kids, including W. Bush could get into an Ivy league school was BECAUSE of connections.

We call those that claim they got in ONLY on merit, hypocrites.

And don't forget Harvard is VERY big into affirmative action.

P.S., I have NOTHING against them for getting in.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:36 PM

24,365 posts, read 22,967,222 times
If Obama can get in, they'll take just about anybody. Even Duhbya Bush and Kerry got into Yale and they're about as sharp as Obama. Not exactly stupid, but not geniuses by any stretch. The problem here is that the middle class is starting to resent the elite more than ever. If Obama has done one thing worthy of praise( and he hasn't besides this), its that he's kept his kids out of the spotlight.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:36 PM

37,032 posts, read 18,994,988 times
FOX carried the story, and they had to shut down the viewer comments because of the racist comments.

Fox News Shuts Down Comments On Malia Obama Post When They Realize How Racist Their Readers Are (VIDEO)

Old 05-02-2016, 05:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 2,205,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
FOX carried the story, and they had to shut down the viewer comments because of the racist comments.

Fox News Shuts Down Comments On Malia Obama Post When They Realize How Racist Their Readers Are (VIDEO)
You know, people today are not 1% less racist than they were 60 years ago.

It's just the culture has changed so it's not in public anymore. Racism is now private discourse that only surfaces on the internet.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

Sounds like a bunch of those idiots pull double-duty on C-D.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 2,205,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Sounds like a bunch of those idiots pull double-duty on C-D.
It's not some fringe minority of internet trolls, it's regular people you see every day and thought were cool.

It's what most people think but won't say in public.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,728,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The last time I spoke to Michelle's high school teachers they told me she was a great student and showed me several of her report cards. Her high school counselor told me the same thing.

Did they tell you something different when you asked?

*sarcasm*
I didn't speak with them but Newsweek interviewed Michelle herself at length about it.

She did well in school (she skipped second grade), but she was not at the top of her class. She didn'tget the attention of the school's college counselors, who helped the brightest students find spotsat prestigious universities. "Princeton, the Ivy Leagues swoop up kids" like Craig, Michelle says. "A black kid from the South Side of Chicago that plays basketball and is smart. He was getting in everywhere. But I knew him, and I knew his study habits, and I was, like, 'I can do that too'." Some of her teachers told her she didn't have the grades or test scores to make it to the Ivies. But she applied to Princeton and was accepted.

http://www.newsweek.com/who-michelle-obama-94161

*If you're gonna be that smug, be right. Otherwise you come off as a complete fool.*

Old 05-02-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
It's not some fringe minority of internet trolls, it's regular people you see every day and thought were cool.

It's what most people think but won't say in public.
It's not most people at all. Most people aren't that disgusting. It's just that those types find their courage (and voices) at places like C-D and Fox boards. It's one of the most pathetic things ever, really.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:25 PM

26,322 posts, read 14,928,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I didn't speak with them but Newsweek interviewed Michelle herself at length about it.

She did well in school (she skipped second grade), but she was not at the top of her class. She didn'tget the attention of the school's college counselors, who helped the brightest students find spotsat prestigious universities. "Princeton, the Ivy Leagues swoop up kids" like Craig, Michelle says. "A black kid from the South Side of Chicago that plays basketball and is smart. He was getting in everywhere. But I knew him, and I knew his study habits, and I was, like, 'I can do that too'." Some of her teachers told her she didn't have the grades or test scores to make it to the Ivies. But she applied to Princeton and was accepted.

http://www.newsweek.com/who-michelle-obama-94161

*If you're gonna be that smug, be right. Otherwise you come off as a complete fool.*
#1 Anyone who denies that the president's daughter doesn't have a leg up on getting into Ivy Leagues doesn't understand how the world works - or they are hyper partisan and said that GWB got a leg up for getting into Ivy Leagues, but refuse to apply the same principles to their party.

#2 She is a kid and not a public figure and people shouldn't attack her for having a leg up like all other presidents' kids or kids of the elites. It would be silly for her to not use that to her advantage.

#3 Even though she didn't have elite grades per Michelle Obama herself, I bet she had decent grades.

#4 Best of luck to her, I hope she makes the most of her Harvard experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies