Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:49 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
We can complain about the woman in this video all day long. But I feel that us, as fiscal conservatives spend way too much time bashing these people, than bashing the system. This woman's mentality isn't going to change, especially when you have a system that validates this mentality. So I'm concerned about HOW we fix the issue.

Me personally, I'm all for the less humanitarian approach of just pulling the rug from under people. Throwing them in the lake and seeing who swims or drown. I just know for one, it's not easy to come up with a solution, and I know my solution isn't going to work well politically or socially.
Well, if you don't give them free money and they have to work and pay their way through life, then they won't have as many kids because they can't afford them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 03:58 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont know why people think thats so bad. Anyway its not forced its a choice. You want money to feed, clothe, house you and your 12 kids, get a tubal. No, support them yourself.
OK, that's better. But still, no one is going to let kids in the US starve or be homeless because the mother is a moron. Well, maybe you and that Inforned Consent guy, lol, but again, in no one's reality are we going to tell children they are not allowed to have food.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The support them yourself wouldn't happen. Some people, for whatever reason, are more or less permanently non-functioning with what most people would consider societal norms. And it's unfortunately intergenerational in many cases.
Yes, they aren't in any way, shape or form thinking the way the rest of us think.

I remember reading something a while ago by someone who worked with these people. Girls in that world do not think about growing up, graduating, "what they will be", etc. It doesn't even cross their minds. To them, growing up means you have a baby. The idea that you can say no to sex doesn't cross their minds, either. They have a "man", they accommodate him. That's how it works.

This woman said the pregnant teens in her clinic had grandmothers in their 40s. It just goes on unless something breaks the chain.

If you told that mother she was responsible for supporting her kids she'd look at you as if you were speaking a foreign language.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default I hear there's a great universe next door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I remember reading something a while ago by someone who worked with these people. Girls in that world do not think about growing up, graduating, "what they will be", etc. It doesn't even cross their minds. To them, growing up means you have a baby. The idea that you can say no to sex doesn't cross their minds, either. They have a "man", they accommodate him. That's how it works.

Yah. The straightforward analysis of the question is that

1. Boys & girls have sex.
2. The girls frequently become pregnant.
3. The pregnant girls frequently deliver a baby.
4. Go to 1.

What puzzles me is that anyone is surprised about the cycle above. If the community, the parents, the children in question don't think about anything outside of their immediate surroundings, they're not likely to think about careers & finding themselves.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to distribute birth control devices & information to anyone who asks, help Planned Parenthood set up in or near the neighborhoods, & improve schooling so as to try to get these children engaged in the larger World. Otherwise, we can reasonably expect that only a relatively few families that make heroic efforts will escape this way of life.

I think we need to do better, but apparently as a society, we prefer to argue over the merits of BC @ a young age, & whether that will destroy the family/community/society that exists in these communities. For my money, those families & communities are already under severe pressure, & are in danger of collapsing altogether. Yes, passing out BC to any & all is a shotgun approach to the issues - but it has the advantage of hitting pause on the cycle of children begetting children, & allowing the participants a breathing space in which they can actually make choices.

They may not want to make choices, which is a choice in & of itself. But I think we owe it to these individuals & communities & to ourselves & to the nation, to @ least provide each member of the succeeding generations the choice, once in a lifetime.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:42 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
You guys act like birth control is totally unavailable. Many school systems make condoms readily available in the Health Room, a big giant bowl of them in all the colors of the rainbow.

Birth control is available for free from Planned Parenthood for Medicaid recipients.

The down and dirty fact is that many members of the population refuse to use birth control, "condoms make my junk hurt" or "I can't feel nuthin' wearing a rubber" and "the pill will make me fat and give me a heart attack".

Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah. The straightforward analysis of the question is that

1. Boys & girls have sex.
2. The girls frequently become pregnant.
3. The pregnant girls frequently deliver a baby.
4. Go to 1.

What puzzles me is that anyone is surprised about the cycle above. If the community, the parents, the children in question don't think about anything outside of their immediate surroundings, they're not likely to think about careers & finding themselves.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to distribute birth control devices & information to anyone who asks, help Planned Parenthood set up in or near the neighborhoods, & improve schooling so as to try to get these children engaged in the larger World. Otherwise, we can reasonably expect that only a relatively few families that make heroic efforts will escape this way of life.

I think we need to do better, but apparently as a society, we prefer to argue over the merits of BC @ a young age, & whether that will destroy the family/community/society that exists in these communities. For my money, those families & communities are already under severe pressure, & are in danger of collapsing altogether. Yes, passing out BC to any & all is a shotgun approach to the issues - but it has the advantage of hitting pause on the cycle of children begetting children, & allowing the participants a breathing space in which they can actually make choices.

They may not want to make choices, which is a choice in & of itself. But I think we owe it to these individuals & communities & to ourselves & to the nation, to @ least provide each member of the succeeding generations the choice, once in a lifetime.
I think pretty much BC is already available, no? Something has to change in the self-defeating system of that part of society, in the minds of the people caught up in it. You don't try to escape from the dungeon if you don't even know you're in one. I don't know the answer as to how to accomplish that.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You guys act like birth control is totally unavailable. Many school systems make condoms readily available in the Health Room, a big giant bowl of them in all the colors of the rainbow.

Birth control is available for free from Planned Parenthood for Medicaid recipients.

The down and dirty fact is that many members of the population refuse to use birth control, "condoms make my junk hurt" or "I can't feel nuthin' wearing a rubber" and "the pill will make me fat and give me a heart attack".
That's what I'm saying. Birth control is already available in those communities. That's not what the problem is. That's what people who don't live in it THINK the solution is because we're only seeing it from our POV.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:03 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I know there are more than a few people who might like to read this (or should), especially those who insist that poverty and teen pregnancy and all the rest are "choices" made by dead beats. Wrong...

Yet in the past decade, the number of Watsonville teen girls giving birth plummeted 59 percent, from 245 on average down to 104 last year.

Countywide, teens gave birth to 138 babies, which county health officials say is an historic low.

Across the nation, teen birth rates began a steep decline after the 2007 recession, prompting some analysts to credit the flailing economy.

A report from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows another key factor.

Teen births down 59 percent: What one community did
the woman in the video is not a teen

Old 10-10-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the woman in the video is not a teen
She must have been when she started!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:08 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I have cousins who had 16 children in the 1930's - 1940's and they never received any type of help paying for all of their children. He worked in a factory, she stayed home and kept their home, children and garden.
It is amazing what people can do when they rely on themselves to care and pay for their own families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies