Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:11 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA1960 View Post
I think we need more than 2 political parties...somewhere around 4 or 5, ideally all about equal is size. That would force compromise in order to achieve results.
Wouldn't that only mean more groups vying for control of the same country? How would that make all but one group happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:16 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
It's clear liberal's and conservative's have completely different visions for America. So it's no surprise one side is unhappy when the other side gains ground for their agenda.

In one word or phrase, and without judging the other side, how would you describe two groups with opposite political agendas each trying to impose their political, social and economic visions on one country?
I don't think so. Americans agree on vast majority of issues, while politicians (especially the ones in Congress) love to highlight the ones where people disagree, and they have been doing that more than ever before in recent years. It plays in their favor when Americans focus in disagreeing rather than agreeing, because it prompts people to vote a certain way. Its mind control.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Republicans want the people to have the power.
Is that why they want to omit "We The People" from the voting process and have the party elite to select the candidates instead?

Politicians want power. Period. What is happening with the current elections is a prime example.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:29 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think so. Americans agree on vast majority of issues, while politicians (especially the ones in Congress) love to highlight the ones where people disagree, and they have been doing that more than ever before in recent years. It plays in their favor when Americans focus in disagreeing rather than agreeing, because it prompts people to vote a certain way. Its mind control.
Good point.......along with bring in people who have no idea how our government is run, most immigrants come from government dictators so voting for a Democrat most likely just makes sense.

I see lots of images that show the power of the fist associated with everything Democrat........

Old 05-03-2016, 08:33 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,457 times
Quote:
It's clear liberal's and conservative's have completely different visions for America. So it's no surprise one side is unhappy when the other side gains ground for their agenda.

In one word or phrase, and without judging the other side, how would you describe two groups with opposite political agendas each trying to impose their political, social and economic visions on one country?

In the end, they aren't that much different. Both want tax payer money to implement their agendas - albeit slightly different agendas. They are all essentially tied to lobbyists/big banks/wall street. Yet, the average American can't even have civil discourse with a person who supports the opposing party. I think the establishment has done well in it's divisive efforts.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:42 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
If there were no problems, there would be no need for change.

However ...
Or...

If people realized a "problem" to them doesn't necessarily mean it's a "problem" to someone else.

Or...

If people realized that solving their own problems should not entail using force/deciding how to solve the problem for others.

Or...

If people realized that even though they may share a problem with you (as admitted by both parties) they don't believe it is important enough to address.

Of course these are all radical ideas that entail brain synapses in individual brains to fire up solutions.

It's probably just easier to pay your taxes and let someone else run your life.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:51 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,954 times
It's weird but I think the deep divide is driven deeper by social media. People now pick a side like they are picking teams, and flaunt 'winning' as if your team has won the league championship.

I'm a trump supporter but it does weigh on me that he can be so hated by half the population. And the same can be said about Hillary. Easier said than done, but it would seem to make sense to almost settle on people both sides can live with.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:04 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,055 times
The OP is wrong.
I was also convinced about the same, until Donald Trump arrived on scene.
If the argument was between conservatives and liberals, Cruz and Rubio would win in a landslide. But it's Trump's style they are after: combative, argumentative, providing simple answers of yes / no. Yearning for the "strong man" who can solve problems in one blow.
On the other side are those who value true democracy and understand its price. In a country of 300M, reaching a compromise is difficult. Any democracy on such scale is difficult. America is not a business and especially today stands out as non efficient.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Democrats want the government to have the power; Republicans want the people to have the power.

I so wish I could believe this. It's evident they both are two sides of one coin...representing the establishment for the same agendas/principles.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:15 AM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:

A lie.

For starters, it's painfully clear that many republican and democrats don't even oppose the other sides views or really have that strong of views themselves other than party allegiance.

Secondly, many voters don't even have a party affiliation and once the primaries end you're going to stop hearing the silly partisan rhetoric (lies) that you and others seem to gullibly fall for and more middle-of-the-road stuff.

For example, tell me that Hillary has an opposite agenda from Republicans with regards to corporations, Wall Street etc? Lie to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies