U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-14-2008, 02:44 AM

5,465 posts, read 7,345,684 times
Default Bill Clinton was a fiscal conservative

I'm starting to realize that a lot of voters weren't old enough to vote back when Bill Clinton was president. BILL CLINTON WAS A FISCAL CONSERVATIVE!! He was really cheap! He got into lots of fights with congress and the senate over spending! He managed to BALANCE THE BUDGET!!

The only reason George Bush was able to cut taxes was because Bill Clinton left him with a SURPLUS!! We were actually going to be able to start paying down the National Debt when Bill Clinton left office -- BUT NO!!!!!! GEORGE BUSH DIDN'T BELIEVE IN SAVING ANYTHING OR PAYING ANYTHING DOWN! George Bush thought he had a chargecard with a $100000000000000000 balance on it and he thought he could spend it all! So he did!!

It's a shame that there aren't more people around who realize what great things Bill Clinton did for the USA budget -- put Hillary back in charge and maybe we'll be on the right track again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-14-2008, 04:21 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts
A lot of "conservatives" don't realize that GWB has actually outspent Bill Clinton, and the federal government under Bush's control is actually larger. Furthermore, what's particularly alarming is that we have not even begun to pay for Iraq -- no budget to date has even included our war spending.

Unread 02-14-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
A lot of "conservatives" don't realize that GWB has actually outspent Bill Clinton, and the federal government under Bush's control is actually larger. Furthermore, what's particularly alarming is that we have not even begun to pay for Iraq -- no budget to date has even included our war spending.
I know they don't. I didn't realize, until recently, that a lot of people voting for Obama weren't even adults under Clinton -- so they have no idea what Clinton did or didn't do.

BILL CLINTON WAS CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!! HE WAS THE ONE WHO CUT WELFARE PAYMENTS BACK TO 5 YEARS ONLY!! HE WAS UNBELIEVABLY CHEAP!!

He WAS a fiscal conservative. He was NOT a social conservative -- so he was a Democrat.

People actually made decent money under Clinton, particularly in the last 4 years -- like from 1996 to 2000. At that time, Al Gore invented the Internet (Yeah! Whoohoo!) and everyone made a zillion dollars on eBay!!!

Not really, but most people did make good money then. Particularly if you were working or investing. He raised taxes on the wealthy, but salaries went up because business was good and unemployment was really super low (like 3% everywhere). Everyone had money to splurge a bit with. Rich people made money too because they make it off of us poor folks spending! So times were good!

I'm voting for Hillary because I would LOVe to see his economic policies back at work. Our country is really suffering because money is concentrated at the top and it isn't getting down to us median/poor folks. The CEOs are all socking it away!

Anyway -- BILL CLINTON WAS A FISCAL CONSERVATIVE! HE WAS NOT A SOCIAL CONSERVATIVE.

Our country right now is in a very fragile place. One wrong move with our monetary system and it could all collapse. I'm putting my faith in Hillary and Bill to fix it back to where it's good again.

Unread 02-14-2008, 05:06 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,883,069 times
so what flavor is this kool-aid you're drinking ?

Unread 02-14-2008, 05:14 AM

11,086 posts, read 15,936,340 times
W. makes Bubba look like a fiscal conservative, by comparison, at least.

The statement's a bit like saying Margaret Thatcher is easier on the eyes than Janet Reno, but it's all relative and open to debate.

Nowadays I don't think you're allowed in Washington unless you are committed to spending tax dollars like a billionaire with a terminal illness and no heirs he cares about. Our government sure as hell cares none for the long-term future.

Unread 02-14-2008, 05:16 AM

You don't have to drink kool-aid to know this. Bill Clinton was a fiscal conservative and that's a FACT!

Unread 02-14-2008, 09:28 AM

2,260 posts, read 2,198,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
You don't have to drink kool-aid to know this. Bill Clinton was a fiscal conservative and that's a FACT!
It's easy to save money when you go shut down all the military bases.

Unread 02-14-2008, 09:29 AM

7,730 posts, read 8,082,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
It's easy to save money when you go shut down all the military bases.
To be fair, he only shut down the ones here. Not the ones overseas that have been operating for more than 50 years.

Unread 02-14-2008, 09:49 AM

2,666 posts, read 4,069,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
It's a shame that there aren't more people around who realize what great things Bill Clinton did for the USA budget -- put Hillary back in charge and maybe we'll be on the right track again!!
As a conservative I'll acknowledge that Bill did keep a balanced budget which was a good thing, I also like the fact that he greatly cut welfare spending. One of his problems was he balanced the budget by having the largest tax increase in history. And I definatley think that he was more moderate than Hillary. I don't believe Hillary could balance the budget without huge tax increases, because of her plan to universalize everything. That wasn't in Bill's agenda like it is in hers. There is no excuse for what Bush did with overspending though.

Unread 02-14-2008, 01:41 PM

39,532 posts, read 39,195,865 times
He did have universal healthcare and she was in charge of planning it. It failed to even get off the ground when proposed.Just like now the cost made it impossible without across the board huge tax increases.He id increase taxes but not to the extent that would have been required with ahealth plan. I think that plan and the current ones are just like the promosed medicare prescription drugs the democrats pormised for years.Promises and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies