Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 PM

1,268 posts, read 798,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Um no your parents taught you right from wrong making moral decisions have nothing to do with religion.
If you need the threat of going to hell to be a good person then your truly lost.

The 10 commandments are just common sense The first four are the only ones that state anything about God.
You can have morals and not be Christian. I don't mean to defame Christians, but your parents and personal compassion shape your morals much more than religion. There are many individuals with morals who do not have religion. Conversely, there are many Christians who are amoral.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:07 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
My father spent 4 years fighting the japanese (including being a pearl harbor survivor) in the pacific- that in itself is enough to make me care. You do not know my beliefs- I have no idea when Jesus will return. He in fact stated the same during his time on earth. If you're an unbeliever, then you cannot help but be ignorant of Christianity. I do not know what it's like to be an atheist, and would not claim that i might know more about it than someone who is.

By that logic, one who doesn't believe in unicorns couldn't help being ignorant of them existing in folklore. I believe there are many who accept Christ as a historical figure and a source of good advice about life whether they accept him as the one true God or not.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:08 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
The love and caring side if religion is fine, but the punishment side ruins it. We could have love and caring without fear of punishment. This would be a higher human philosophy

Old 05-05-2016, 12:11 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
The love and caring side if religion is fine, but the punishment side ruins it. We could have love and caring without fear of punishment. This would be a higher human philosophy
I believe there are far too many examples in history where fear of punishment was all about a particular religion controlling its people and had nothing to do with God.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:13 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You are correct in that many are incorrect or ignorant of The Bible. Reading Gods Word if you are an unbeliever- your understanding will be very limited. Without Gods Holy Spirit in our heart to help us discern, it's simply head knowledge- no different than reading a history book. You may take offense, it's not intended.
You mean if you believe in the Holy Spirit, you can interpret the Bible to suit yourself.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think America's strongest, best and most enduring values are -- freedom, reason, tolerance. These were the values of our liberal (in their day) founding fathers, and these are the values we should keep. Are these Christian values? Not necessarily, although they are not incompatible with Christianity.

George Washington was a Christian. He adhered to these values. In fact, he expressed them eloquently in a letter he wrote to the Jewish community in Newport, Rhode Island. Here's a passage:

The United States has “a Government which to bigotry gives no sanction, to persecution no assistance—but generously affording to All liberty of conscience, and immunities of citizenship: - deeming every one, of whatever nation, tongue or language equal parts of the great Governmental Machine: – This so ample and extensive federal union whose basis is Philanthropy, mutual confidence, and public virtue, we cannot but acknowledge to be the work of the Great God, who ruleth the Armies of Heaven, and among the Inhabitants of the Earth, doing whatsoever seemeth [to Him] good.”

Given these sentiments, it's easy to see what side of the debate he'd be on today on whether or not we should fully embrace the Muslim American community.
Roger Williams went even further. When he founded the colony of Rhode Island, he explicitly included atheists and Muslims in his intent to create a colony of absolute religious freedom.

And it was Rhode Island that later single-handedly stalled ratification of the Constitution until the First Amendment was written and ratified. As soon as the First Amendment was ratified, Rhode Island went ahead to be the last state necessary to ratify the Constriction.

It was also Roger Williams who both founded the first Baptist congregation in the US and also coined the phrase "wall of separation between the garden of the church and the wilderness of the world" that Jefferson later rewrote as "wall of separation between church and state" to Williams' Baptist theological descendants.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:25 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If you cannot embrace the basic ideals of the Three Religions of the Book without being coerced by the threat of Hellfire and Damnation you really need to examine your own sense of right and wrong. Being a decent person does not involve religion, it only requires a sense of decency.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
In my town, NONE of the druggies or really bad dudes are going to church on Sunday morning. They have decided they don't need church: the drugs and life of crime will suffice quite nicely, thank you.

None of my Christian friends are calling me up at 3 a.m. pleading with me to help them score.

Just saying.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:30 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
By that logic, one who doesn't believe in unicorns couldn't help being ignorant of them existing in folklore. I believe there are many who accept Christ as a historical figure and a source of good advice about life whether they accept him as the one true God or not.
Faith is not logic based, and that is why so many reject Jesus for who He is- God.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You mean if you believe in the Holy Spirit, you can interpret the Bible to suit yourself.
Before I was a believer, that is exactly what I did. It made very little sense. Now, God speaks to me personally thru His Word. He can only do that through His Holy Spirit- when His Spirit resides in ones heart due to believing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies