Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 02:53 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I still don't understand why NC needed this law. Way to go in focusing on the really important issues, creating bigger government and interfering in the lives of citizens.... some real conservative values for ya
The 'bathroom law' wasn't needed but from what I read it opens the door to a number of other forms of discrimination. The Guvnah apparently thought he needed some ink in this, his (hopefully not) reelection year.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
I was under the impression that North Carolina was a more modern, forward thinking, and tolerant state than a couple of others below the Mason Dixon Line.

I was wrong.

The North Carolina state legislators want to be more like Mississippi.

The passage of HB2 was an act of prejudice, discrimination and ignorance.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:05 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,169,841 times
For the most part, the average North Carolinian could care less about this bill---it doesn't impact them much one way or the other. North Carolina DOES NOT go out of its way to discrimimate against LGBT community. In fact, far from it. Spend some time in Chapel Hill, Durham or Raleigh and you would see what I mean.

Now if you ask me if I think the bill was necessary I would say no but it is NOT the evil bogeyman everyone makes it out to be! While NC certainly has its flaws, compared to many of the other places where I've lived and/or spent significant time it is like heaven.

Now for those who complain about the current administration in NC, I would be quick to tell you that it is far better than the one that came before it. Teachers are finally getting raises (something that didn't happen under the Democrats) and we are running a nice surplus after being in the hole for 2 billion.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:15 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,551,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
For the most part, the average North Carolinian could care less about this bill---it doesn't impact them much one way or the other. North Carolina DOES NOT go out of its way to discrimimate against LGBT community. In fact, far from it. Spend some time in Chapel Hill, Durham or Raleigh and you would see what I mean.

Now if you ask me if I think the bill was necessary I would say no but it is NOT the evil bogeyman everyone makes it out to be! While NC certainly has its flaws, compared to many of the other places where I've lived and/or spent significant time it is like heaven.

Now for those who complain about the current administration in NC, I would be quick to tell you that it is far better than the one that came before it. Teachers are finally getting raises (something that didn't happen under the Democrats) and we are running a nice surplus after being in the hole for 2 billion.
step one foot outside of the Triangle and NC looks a lot different.

if you don't think things like federal funding getting cut matters to the people of NC, you're dreaming.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:17 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The North Carolina state legislators want to be more like Mississippi.

The passage of HB2 was an act of prejudice, discrimination and ignorance.
And hopefully those people as well as the Governor will pay for that act come November.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-06-2016 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: rude/personal

Old 05-06-2016, 03:35 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,112 times
It does not change my opinion of NC.

If the GOP politicians do not understand that this is 2016, where we are more tolerant of gays, the party will die. And there are many other things they need to realize as well.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:50 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,551,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger099 View Post
It does not change my opinion of NC.

If the GOP politicians do not understand that this is 2016, where we are more tolerant of gays, the party will die. And there are many other things they need to realize as well.
they're already dying

Old 05-06-2016, 03:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
what impacts me is that NC has made progressives angry. That means I support North Carolina.

I don't care what the issue or policy is. if progs are mad, I am happy.
I'm a lifelong conservative and stupid, ass-backward, useless crap legislation like this cheezes me off.

But I don't call my racist, bigot ideas "conservative values."

Old 05-06-2016, 04:03 PM

248 posts, read 172,476 times
Yes it does...makes me want to move there. NC is obviously ran by lawmakers that aren't gonna allow themselves to be leveraged by the MTV era whack-jobs. It's on you to fit in...if not, you're the out-cast black sheep...teach yourself to embrace your penis or vagina and man up...this is still very simple folks.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:35 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
No...

But it does make me sad that something as common sense as "you use the bathroom of the gender on your birth certificate" actually has to be legislated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies