Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:45 AM

605 posts, read 804,801 times

Advertisements

Just curious.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:47 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,603 times
Don't really care about it.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:56 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Let's all flip out about 0.3% of the entire population of the country and boycott entire states when a minority of this tiniest of minorities in one state. The number of transgender North Carolina citizens and transgender people who visit North Carolina is an even smaller percentage than that 0.3% nationally. They can still use the bathroom anyway. This is such a distraction. If only people cared at all about real topics- social security robbing the young, drone wars in Yemen, etc.....

No, I don't care at all. States rights are great because if you don't like one, you don't have to live there.

Let's stop acting like the law is "Everyone who is transgendered must register with the state government, receive a marker to be worn at all times, and then select a date for execution."

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-06-2016 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 12:03 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
The bathroom thing is the least offensive part of that so-called bathroom law. The worst part is that it prohibits cities from passing any laws that would protect the LGBTQ community. That's what's most important, and that's why people are outraged.

To be clear, this law was never about transsexuals and bathrooms. It was a transparent attempt to restrict gay rights, and deprive the LGBTQ community of any chance for equal protection under the law. They added the bathroom thing to get yokels arguing about grown man sharing bathrooms with their eight-year-old daughters.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:05 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Absolutely. It's a bigoted law and only those who have never been a discriminated minorty would understand how evil it is. I thought North Carolina was the "progressive south"? Sure doesn't seem like it!!

Old 05-06-2016, 12:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The bathroom thing is the least offensive part of that so-called bathroom law. The worst part is that it prohibits cities from passing any laws that would protect the LGBTQ community. That's what's most important, and that's why people are outraged.
Not only that, but HB2 also did away with any legal remedies for discrimination cases at the state level.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:36 PM

135 posts, read 181,155 times
As a resident of Indiana, I can certainly empathize with those North Carolinians who feel that they are being judged unfairly based on the actions of an out of touch state government. We just dealt with a similar backlash here last year. It's not a good feeling, watching the state you love be highjacked by fundamentalists who don't represent the views of the majority. And then (fairly or unfairly) to have the rest of the country turn against you, judge you, boycott you, tell you that you should move if you disagree with it (from both sides of the debate), tell you they hope your state's economy crumbles, that all Hoosiers need to pay, etc. It sucked. I feel that the only saving grace for Indiana (a state that - for reasons I've never been able to fully understand or have articulated to me - is despised by many anyway) is that the cities DO still have the right to establish their own anti discrimination laws, and many have. This has, to an extent, saved Indianapolis (which had already had such a law on the books for many years) from A LOT of lost revenue, and helped it save face perception wise. It's unfortunate that North Carolina cities will not be extended the same privilege. So while it does change my perception of North Carolina being a progressive southern state slightly, I don't blame the people or hold the average citizen of North Carolina in contempt. I've seen firsthand just how regressive, damaging, and dangerous an out of control state government can be when it goes unchecked and it isn't pretty. Hopefully the people of NC can manage to do exactly what I hope we can do here in Indiana - vote them out!

Old 05-06-2016, 12:37 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Just curious.

yes.. makes me want to move there

Old 05-06-2016, 12:38 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
This was just a bigoted law conceived to solve a problem that does not exist. I'm saddened that more than half of the state reps and the governor believe that non gender binary people basically don't exist. It also upsets me that so many people believe that LGB people deserve no protections against discrimination. No one should be discriminated against, I don't get why this isn't a common belief among all Americans.

However I hate to stereotype all people from North Carolina based on this dumb law. Homophobes/Transphobes exist everywhere, I just hope that most of them are old fart-balls who will die off soon.
How ironic, the progressive and tolerant liberal wishing death on those who don't share his point of view.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:41 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times
Honestly...no, it does not change my view of the state as a whole in the slightest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies