Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times

Advertisements

I have lived around a bit and I have always noticed the Republican areas tend to have very large middle-class populations and Democratic areas are very economic segregated with little to no mobility with huge income disparities.

I lived in Utah, North Dakota, Nebraska which are very, very Republican states and they all had an exclusively middle-class feel to them.

It seemed like typical household in Ogden, UT and Lincoln, NE was married, made around $60,000 a year between husband and wife and lived in a 2,000-3,000 square foot single family home.

The same Sears-Roebuck kit homes in California that the yuppies pay a million dollars for are $100,000 homes in Lincoln, Nebraska that a married couple working for a life insurance company or manfacturing facility could easily afford.

Fast forward to Democratic Los Angeles and San Diego which has hardly any middle-class, its either feast and famine with the population.

They have huge income disparities with very few middle-class. It is either the very wealthy and very poor.

I see posts of people on here with household incomes of $200,000 a year in California saying they can't afford to buy these family houses in California. I worked at a call-center in Ogden, Utah made just $15 an hour. There were husband and wife couples buying old, craftsman 2,000 square foot homes that were walking distance to work paying $85,000 for rehabbed old-homes with hardly any property tax.

It is amazing how the Democrats like Bernie Sanders are going on about economic justice when it's the Democratic state's that have huge massive income disparities.

Part of the issue is that in state's like California the liberal Democrats frown down on goods-producing jobs. Californians especially in liberal areas would never associate with a person who does blue-collar work as any job not knowledge-based is inferior to them.

Maybe Sanders should go to Utah, Nebraska or North Dakota if he wants to see his economic utopian dreams in fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 06:32 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
The DNC guarantees Sanders won't get nominated so why even bother attacking him? lol

Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Is Lincoln, Nebraska very, very Republican?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:27 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Not sure if i agree,as there are too many things that come into play.

Most poor people actually live in Southern states,which many are Republican controlled.

Also,it is better to be poor in NJ than it is in Alabama.

Why? More social services are available.
Upward mobility is also easier,IMO.

Finally,who really wants to live in Nebraska?
NYC,a whole city,has more people living there than in Nebraska.
Why? You know why,boredom.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Coastal cities tend to become expensive to buy homes in, since the ocean limits expansion and drives up property values. This drives out middle class married couples who want to raise a family in a big house with a yard. So these cities lose the demographic which is likely to be conservative and vote Republican, while keeping the wealthy and those in the working class who service them or benefit from their philanthropy.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The DNC guarantees Sanders won't get nominated so why even bother attacking him? lol
The original post was about Democrats and liberals in general. I've also noticed this.

I call the Democrats the party of "Section 8 and liberal elite". On one hand you have the Section 8 crowd, illegal aliens, etc. in the ghettos. Think Baltimore, Ferguson, the illegal alien barrios like Spanish Harlem and East L.A. On the other hand you have the yuppie elites and the limosuine liberals in places like Manhattan and San Francisco and the liberal old money New England families.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Is Lincoln, Nebraska very, very Republican?
Nah. More middle of the road, all things considered.

And as for the topic, I could find examples either way. Maybe location of the country has something to do with it.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:56 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Finally,who really wants to live in Nebraska?
NYC,a whole city,has more people living there than in Nebraska.
Why? You know why,boredom.
Oh.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:07 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Middle class folks in Republican states tend to only be economically mobile in their little bubbles. It's not like most of them can afford to suddenly relocate to NYC or San Francisco.

Middle class couples from the coasts can take a month's worth of paychecks and be on their way.

In terms of income equality, I'd stack up the relatively Democratic Twin Cities metro over more Republican Greater Houston.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 05-06-2016 at 09:24 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 11:32 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Kind of a sloppy premise based on no data. Hard to engage with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies