Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
No physical that I am aware of. Medicare takes all, so why do a PE?
If when you initially enroll, you choose an advantage plan and more than a year later you want to change to traditional Medicare + supplement, the supplement plan provider has the option of asking for a PE. They will definitely charge a higher premium. The provider can also refuse to cover you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:03 PM

617 posts, read 349,088 times
I do not believe that's correct. Once you're in, you're in whether you signed up for an Advantage plan initially or a Supplement plan. Why on earth would you buy a standard Plan F instead of the high deductible version? Personally, I find the Advantage plans are, in general, terrible.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtHansen View Post
I do not believe that's correct. Once you're in, you're in whether you signed up for an Advantage plan initially or a Supplement plan. Why on earth would you buy a standard Plan F instead of the high deductible version? Personally, I find the Advantage plans are, in general, terrible.
Quote:
When You Have Guaranteed-Issue Rights to Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan to a Medigap Policy

If you are in a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan, you have guaranteed-issue rights to buy a Medigap policy in certain situations. These rights require private insurers to sell you a policy without a health screening. You cannot be denied a policy or charged a higher premium due to your current health or history.

You have guaranteed-issue rights to a Medigap policy when:

Your Medicare Advantage (MA) plan terminates coverage. In this case, you can return to Original fee-for-service Medicare with Medigap, but you must apply within 123 days of the end of your MA plan benefits.

You move outside your MA plan service area. You must apply within 63 days of moving.You joined an MA plan when you first became eligible for Medicare and want to switch to a Medigap policy during your first 12 months in the MA plan. This is your Medicare Trial Period #1.

You switch from a Medigap policy to an MA plan for the first time since becoming eligible for Medicare, and you disenroll from the MA plan within the first 12 months. This is your Medicare Trial Period #2.

If you are switching from an MA plan to a Medigap policy and do not fall into one of the categories above, Medigap companies are not required to sell you a policy.
The high deductible plan F was not offered when I initially enrolled. A year later I was diagnosed with a chronic condition that required expensive treatments and there was no advantage in changing.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:54 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I have found that many, many seniors do not understand the differences between advantage plans and traditional Medicare + a supplement. They do not know that if they choose an advantage plan upon their initial enrollment, they cannot switch to traditional Medicare + supplement without paying a higher premium and possibly being asked to undergo a physical.
I've never heard of anything like that and can't find it on the medicare website:

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...tage-plan.html

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-...s-medigap.html

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-...age-plans.html

Old 05-10-2016, 05:34 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
I just looked up the plans for my state.
(For low income folks)

Here you go.

So depending on income, some folks will pay nothing or almost nothing.
It's NOT free for everyone. As usual, the responsible folks who planned and saved for retirement get screwed while the irresponsible get even more freebies.

My Mom and Step-Dad have a small annuity and with their combined SS income, their income is about $2,500/month. Their Medicare Parts B and D and their supplemental policy (cheapest options to cover their needs) costs them a combined $700/month. That's a full 28% of their fixed income.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
OK, but few and far between.

Payroll taxes haven't been that high for so long.

And max Medicare as I recall started in the late '90's.

I guess if you have been paying Medicare taxes since then on $M or above you have my deepest sympathies.

But then why wouldn't you have incorporated to save on tax?
What makes you think merely incorporating reduces one's income to under $1 million?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Traditional Medicare Part B covers 80% of non-hospital medical expenses, after a deductible. The remaining 20% is the responsibility of the patient. Many people get Medi Gap (Supplement) Plans to cover the 20% and/or the deductible. Medicare supplement plans are standardized and identified by a letter, i.e., all insurance companies offering Plan F must provide the exact same coverage. The premium for supplement plans is based on the amount of coverage selected, where you live, and will vary depending on which insurance company you use. Prescriptions are NOT covered by traditional Medicare - if you wish to have prescription coverage, you can buy a Plan D policy. With traditional Medicare you can go to any doctor in the US who accepts Medicare.

I live in South Florida where medical care is very expensive. I have a full coverage Plan F policy purchased through AARP (the policy is underwritten by United Health). My premium is $268/mo (plus the $115 that's deducted from my SS check). My Plan D premium is $18/mo. My total cost for medical coverage is $401/mo. Dental and Vision insurance is purchased separately.
Thank you for your honesty about how expensive Medicare actually is.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Basically, if you chose a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan when you first enrolled in Medicare and
  • you've been on it for more than a year
  • you haven't moved
  • the plan has not misled you
you are not guaranteed the right to be covered by a Medigap (supplement) policy, should you decide to switch.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-...scenarios.html

You can apply for as many Medigap policies as you like, but they can all reject you or limit your policy coverage or require a PE or charge you a higher premium.

Last edited by ray1945; 05-10-2016 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-10-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Thank you for your honesty about how expensive Medicare actually is.
When I originally enrolled in Medicare (6 years ago) I was paying almost $500/mo for health insurance coverage via PPO with my former employer. My choice of doctors was limited, I had copays for everything, and my medical care was subject to approval by the insurance company. I immediately saved over $150/mo when I became covered by Medicare.

Medicare is NOT expensive. I CHOSE what I could afford. There are many, many other choices for those who cannot afford my premium.

Also, I live in the Medicare fraud capital of the US, where all medical ins premiums are outrageous. My friend who lives in central Florida has my exact same coverage and pays $178 for Plan F - $100/mo less than I do.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's NOT free for everyone. As usual, the responsible folks who planned and saved for retirement get screwed while the irresponsible get even more freebies.

My Mom and Step-Dad have a small annuity and with their combined SS income, their income is about $2,500/month. Their Medicare Parts B and D and their supplemental policy (cheapest options to cover their needs) costs them a combined $700/month. That's a full 28% of their fixed income.
I find the $700/mo hard to believe. Where do they live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies