Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 03:45 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times

Advertisements

After trying to find the Wall Street Journal article "Israel Looks Beyond America", I found an article that talks about Israel's concern that Trump would take a neutral position between the Palestinians and the Israelis. That position is what the Israelis have under Obama and they find difficulty with it.

I listened to Trump on The Economist radio about a week ago and he said that America wants a better deal from the rest of the world. He mostly talked about Japan dumping cars on Americas shores without a reciprocal agreement. He also mentioned that Japan has no obligation to help America when America gets attacked. Israels concern is that an isolationist America would be to their disadvantage. Since Israel enjoys a similar defense arrangement as Japan has, this could all change as Trump might seek an arrangement with more symbiosis.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 05-07-2016 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 03:57 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Trump's a wild card and there may be some good in that. The longstanding problem in the Middle East peace process is that the USA is not an honest broker. Being bias for one side achieves little if anything. Virtually all US presidential candidates pander and sitting presidents kiss a*s instead of exercising a sense of impartiality for the greater good.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,093 times
I am not a Trump fan but you cannot deny that his approach to politics not only makes him a complete wild card, it gives him a stronger hand in negotiating. Most politicians end up beholden to various special interest groups, like AIPAC, but Trump has gotten where he is without any promises to anyone. So Israel has no levers they can use to extract concessions from Trump, which I think is good. They have had too much influence in American politics from my perspective.

If Trump is elected I hope he will continue as Obama has done and not let the Israelis try to bully us. As far as the Palestinians, that is hopeless. It will never get resolved. It is a classic case of might makes right. We just need to insulate ourselves from the whole mess.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am not a Trump fan but you cannot deny that his approach to politics not only makes him a complete wild card, it gives him a stronger hand in negotiating. Most politicians end up beholden to various special interest groups, like AIPAC, but Trump has gotten where he is without any promises to anyone. So Israel has no levers they can use to extract concessions from Trump, which I think is good. They have had too much influence in American politics from my perspective.

If Trump is elected I hope he will continue as Obama has done and not let the Israelis try to bully us. As far as the Palestinians, that is hopeless. It will never get resolved. It is a classic case of might makes right. We just need to insulate ourselves from the whole mess.
NPR reports that some British politicians are calling Israel the fifty first state. Now that Pat Buchanan has been labeled an anti-Semite by much of the American media he is free to be completely objective about Israeli behavior. In one of his books he recounts how what he calls the "Beltway Likud" sent Bush Jr. a veiled threat if he didn't invade Iraq.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:50 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
i think israel would be jumping for joy with trump, at least he not a muslim

Old 05-08-2016, 09:54 AM

38 posts, read 35,899 times
Who cares?

They need us, we don't need them. We don't have "friends" in the international arena. We have allies, allies who rely on us as the superpower.

Israel is our greatest ally, but even our greatest ally needs a reality check every once and a while.

Taking billions in aid, snubbing our president (as much as I hate Obama I'm still an American first), all but admitting in public that they own us via the Jewish Lobby.

Time for Israel to learn their place in the world. And that place is, "you only exist because of the generosity of the American taxpayer."

Old 05-08-2016, 11:42 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,211,948 times
When your enemies can pattern you, and are able to predict your behavior, your loses will be heavy.

Trump does not tip his hand and that is the best way to be in negotiations. He leaves everything on the table to intimidate and get a favorable agreement.

The media nd administrations have been supplying intelligence to our enemies for decades. "Losse lips sink Ships' has long been left behind as a quaint sentiment.

Perhaps you prefer a president to be more forthcoming like obama

you can keep your doctor

you will save 2,500k on obamacare

isis is the jv team

a video caused benghazi

Terrorists are the result of human caused global warming

healthcare negotiations will be on CSPANN to expose backroom deals like the cornhusker kickback and the Louisianna purchase.

oops, then obama recieved a transparency award from OMB watch under a news balck out

forthcoming is preferable to undpredictable, really

and the beauty of all this is the media not even taking notice of the failed words of the obama admin so no explaination required. How do you think the media will treat a trump presidency..with a microscope and loud speaker that must have been in the repair shop for the last 7.5 years.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:21 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gassyyoungman View Post
Who cares?

They need us, we don't need them. We don't have "friends" in the international arena. We have allies, allies who rely on us as the superpower.

Israel is our greatest ally, but even our greatest ally needs a reality check every once and a while.

Taking billions in aid, snubbing our president (as much as I hate Obama I'm still an American first), all but admitting in public that they own us via the Jewish Lobby.

Time for Israel to learn their place in the world. And that place is, "you only exist because of the generosity of the American taxpayer."
The aid (payment for Sinay) is only 4% of Israel budget, and this money is going straight back to America weaponry industry.
Israel exist because of its nukes.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:26 PM

I would like Israel succeed as a country. After what happened to them in the twentieth century and many centuries before, the Jews need a homeland where they could live in relative safety. What troubles me about Israel is their arrogance. What troubles me further is the disproportionate control that they have over the American Congress and public opinion.

I really don't care that Israel funnels any aid that we give them directly back to our defense industry. The down side of our defense arrangement with Israel was reported in the Wall Street Journal over the last couple of days. The report stated that there may be layoffs at some of our defense contractors because our agreement with Israel prevents Arab states from buying more than a certain amount of weaponry from the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies