Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
^^What?? Couldn't that just be a result of profiling??

If we know we're getting profiled wouldn't we be less likely to speed? Most of the speeders I see are white.

Anybody else want to confirm this?

Even the NYT couldn`t spin this one away.

Study Suggests Racial Gap In Speeding In New Jersey - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:54 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Some deaf people have been killed for not obeying a police officers commands.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Technically the cop was right. She never asserted her 4th or 5th amendment rights (and, something I disagree with, you are required to assert those rights to end questioning), so he could continue questioning and she was obstructing.
I don't think any law requires you to tell a cop where you have been or where you are going. Or to answer the question "do you know why you were stopped".

Old 05-09-2016, 01:53 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually this case proves you can.
No. What was the charge

Old 05-09-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They can arrest you for any reason whatsoever or for no reason at all because they have a gun AND a badge. Your only recourse is to fight it in court.
No not really. If I pulled this crap where I'm from I would be suspended at the leaat

Old 05-09-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Technically the cop was right. She never asserted her 4th or 5th amendment rights (and, something I disagree with, you are required to assert those rights to end questioning), so he could continue questioning and she was obstructing.

Technically right might make it through court, but he was wrong in what he did. If he could build probable cause in the stop, then that is what he should have done despite her obstructing and without any answers from her. If he could not do this, then he should have let her go (or written the appropriate ticket and hash out the evidence later in court). I think the ruling requiring assertion of the right to remain silent needs to go away.
Obstructing???? That is a far stretch and 9 out of ten judges would laugh a cop out of Court and throw the case file in the garbage

Old 05-09-2016, 02:09 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
it doesn't indicate anywhere that she wasn't making any funny faces or doing the delayed Chevy Chase mimic everything you say while the cop was talking to her, she could have been antagonizing him and that might be against some law or something.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:11 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
I have never arrested anyone for not talking... There isn't any penal code you could arrest for.... Even obstruction would be inappropriate and would never stand legal challenge.

Again..half truth stories by uber anti police websites are not good sources of info... Nice for those sensational stories and one sided citybashes

Old 05-09-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I have never arrested anyone for not talking... There isn't any penal code you could arrest for.... Even obstruction would be inappropriate and would never stand legal challenge.

Again..half truth stories by uber anti police websites are not good sources of info... Nice for those sensational stories and one sided citybashes
half truth? Anti police websites? Your post is a pathetic attempt to defend all abusive LE actions.

OK, here are some other sources;

Lawyer busted for staying quiet during traffic stop files lawsuit - NY Daily News

Woman Arrested for Staying Silent During Traffic Stop Sues - ABC News

New Jersey woman exercises right to remain silent — and state troopers arrest her anyway

Right to remain silent? Woman says that got her arrested by NJ trooper (Watch)

Old 05-09-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
No not really. If I pulled this crap where I'm from I would be suspended at the leaat
That may be true but it still happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies