Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 AM

21,407 posts, read 10,493,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Evidence shows Fox News watchers are less informed than those who watch no news at all. Therefore, suppressing right wing media like Fox News is a public service.
I don't like watching Fox News, at all. But I have a problem with your assertion. Please provide links to this supposed evidence because I don't believe anyone who watches news in any form is less informed than people who watch no news at all. This sounds like one of those bogus "studies," like iPhone users are more intelligent than Samsung users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 AM

21,407 posts, read 10,493,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
What if the news itself isn't ethical or honest? Conservative media has shown itself to play fast and loose when it comes to facts.
So have NBC and CBS! Both were caught using highly edited video and/or falsified documents.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,344,697 times
Quote:
Evidence shows Fox News watchers are less informed than those who watch no news at all. Therefore, suppressing right wing media like Fox News is a public service.
Right, "evidence" and "studies" conducted by ultra biased left wing sources like Huffington, who routinely ignore that most high school dropouts become liberal democrats. Liberals sure get the cream of the crop.

Of course they also completely ignore that most of Fox watchers appear to be rabid liberals hanging on every word just quivering at the chance to repeat (out of context) what they hear on social media to get the natives riled up.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
Why should this article be given any credibility? All of the 'sources' are 'former employees.' How do we know they exist? How do we know they are not disgruntled workers who were canned?

Sorry--I don't see why any credence at all should be given to anonymous ex-workers. When some brave current employee or named ex-employee is ready to speak out, let us know.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:45 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,929,991 times
Quote:

^^^^^^ What a crock of BS.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:49 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,629,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Why should this article be given any credibility? All of the 'sources' are 'former employees.' How do we know they exist? How do we know they are not disgruntled workers who were canned?

Sorry--I don't see why any credence at all should be given to anonymous ex-workers. When some brave current employee or named ex-employee is ready to speak out, let us know.
I think it's very plausible, don't you? We saw all of that happen recently with Twitter suppressing hashtags, why couldn't something similar happen with FaceBook?

Besides, it's going to be much much harder to get current employees to whistle blow. "Don't bite the hand that feeds" and all that.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,215,778 times
It wouldn't surprise me. The stories routinely focus on liberal causes, and when conservative issues are listed, it's almost always a negative story.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,216,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
What if the news itself isn't ethical or honest? Conservative media has shown itself to play fast and loose when it comes to facts.
That's unfortunately a separate problem, one that is definitely not exclusive to conservative news outlets. Trending News implies it's news stories that are circulating across Facebook. If Facebook wishes to analyze these stories, and take out things they feel are dishonest, that's one thing, but they're also (allegedly) manually putting stories into this. Again, it's an issue of honesty. Even if the news articles is reporting something dishonestly, if it's widely circulating, it would be considered trending news.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I think it's very plausible, don't you? We saw all of that happen recently with Twitter suppressing hashtags, why couldn't something similar happen with FaceBook?

Besides, it's going to be much much harder to get current employees to whistle blow. "Don't bite the hand that feeds" and all that.
Anything is plausible. But the problem with the internet is that anyone can write anything, use anonymous sources and call it the truth. Network journalists are held to a higher standard. Dan Rather discovered that, and it cost him his career.

Nobody ever investigates these internet claims (other than fact checkers or Snopes), so I chalk most of it up to gossip and rumor. When someone goes on the record for real, I'll believe it.

The line between fact and fiction has been destroyed by internet 'journalism.'

Old 05-09-2016, 01:31 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,094,082 times
They didn't just suppress Conservative News. They propped a group over the true grassroots Movement who were breaking away from the Left.

This is much deeper than a lot of you realize. There was also black business that lost out. BLM was a tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies