U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2008, 07:55 AM

6,866 posts, read 12,628,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
And what exactly is the point of this Contempt-of-Congress resolution, anyway? Are they seriously still screaming about the firing of those federal prosecutors (who serve solely at the president's pleasure)?

From where I sit it looks like whiny, snarling Dems trying to embarrass the president one more time in his final year of office. They've been yapping at his ankles for 7 years; why stop now, right?

So if anything, it was the Dems who torpedoed this "brief interlude of cross-aisle love and tenderness." Of course on another level, that's fine with me anyway—I hate "bipartisanship"! When the Pubbies & Dems start gettin' chummy, that's when you know taxpayers are gonna get screwed, so hold onto your wallet!

When I vote to send Republicans to Congress, I'm not interested in seeing them get along and cooperate with Democrats. I want them to defeat Democrats!!!

This walkout was an interesting stunt. We'll see what the fallout is, but at least I give 'em props for making a decidedly non-bipartisan gesture!
Holy moley, spoken like a true conservative! Thumbs up to you!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:11 AM

29,131 posts, read 18,052,259 times
Quote:
From where I sit it looks like whiny, snarling Dems trying to embarrass the president one more time in his final year of office. They've been yapping at his ankles for 7 years; why stop now, right?
The President has shown over the past seven years that he's quite capable of embarassing himself with help from no one. Congressmen could make a much more dramatic protest by holding their breath until they turn blue........................................and fall down

Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 PM

1,407 posts, read 3,337,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Holy moley, spoken like a true conservative! Thumbs up to you!!!
Aww, thanks Mom! To me that is truly a high compliment

Old 02-15-2008, 10:19 PM

4,403 posts, read 3,563,427 times
Quote:
And what exactly is the point of this Contempt-of-Congress resolution, anyway? Are they seriously still screaming about the firing of those federal prosecutors (who serve solely at the president's pleasure)?

So if anything, it was the Dems who torpedoed this "brief interlude of cross-aisle love and tenderness." Of course on another level, that's fine with me anyway—I hate "bipartisanship"! When the Pubbies & Dems start gettin' chummy, that's when you know taxpayers are gonna get screwed, so hold onto your wallet!

When I vote to send Republicans to Congress, I'm not interested in seeing them get along and cooperate with Democrats. I want them to defeat Democrats!!!

This walkout was an interesting stunt. We'll see what the fallout is, but at least I give 'em props for making a decidedly non-bipartisan gesture!
So, you want candidates who will spend all their time fighting the "opposition" instead of doing their job and serving the public? You want representatives who would show no respect for their dead counterparts and interrupt a solemn celebration? You want it to be your way or the highway with no bow to cooperation and consensus? Then, you'll get a government that resembles Wrestlemania and the country you'll get will be a circus of incompetence. But, hey, I'm not gonna stop you. Go ahead. Let your "conservative" "Republicans" do it for you. But also prepare yourself to accept the blame of those who had more sense when it mattered.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 AM

8,699 posts, read 6,491,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
The measure passed without the Republicans. Some of you went without Representation today. If you don't hold them accountable at the ballot box, no one will. Stop complaining and vote.
Forget it. In Oklahoma they don't vote congressmen out of office unless they have been exposed as liberal.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:53 AM

1,932 posts, read 1,115,091 times
Did anyone hear the presidents comments on this?
Boy was he mad!
He really wants to get that immunity for the telecom companys.

We heard the FEAR tactics over and over again.
Now the law reverts back to the original law,which just means they need a judge to ok the spying. They should have just done this in the first place instead of getting the communication companys to do it illegally.

Walking out was another childish stunt by the Republicans.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:14 AM

24,940 posts, read 31,801,375 times
House GOP members walk out in protest
http://humblemusings.com/wp-content/photos/Mad__mad__mad.JPG (broken link)

Old 02-16-2008, 02:15 AM

24,940 posts, read 31,801,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Did anyone hear the presidents comments on this?
Boy was he mad!
that @sswipe has no right to get mad at anyone. Feret.

Quote:
He really wants to get that immunity for the telecom companys.
Cause he's a fascist.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 AM

19,935 posts, read 10,997,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
They also disrupted a memorial service for recently deceased Congressman Tom Lantos in the process of throwing their temper tantrum.

I'm glad the House has finally decided that they will be the body to stand up for the rule of law in this country. The childish Republican theatrics show just how necessary these actions are.
So what. Lantos is a hero? He was something special right hand to god?
I don't hear the left complain when anti war whack jobs disrupt memorial services for fallen soldiers. What I hear is hey this America they have a right to protest.
Yes he did some good while he served in office. Many have. As for republican theatrics Mr Kennedy and company have done more than their share of stunts.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:19 PM

4,301 posts, read 5,912,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So what. Lantos is a hero? He was something special right hand to god?
I don't hear the left complain when anti war whack jobs disrupt memorial services for fallen soldiers. What I hear is hey this America they have a right to protest.
Yes he did some good while he served in office. Many have. As for republican theatrics Mr Kennedy and company have done more than their share of stunts.
Wow. Good to see you have such a strong sense of decency.

For the record, I have never heard of anti-war groups disrupting soldiers funerals, only the radical rightwing Phelps organization. Many on "the left" have shown their disgust for that group and their tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies