Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Here is the baloney that you so speak of, If my partner of 29 years needs to be hospitalized, I do not have the right to visit him in the hospital. {/QUOTE]

You don't? Do they ask you to fill out a form -- listing sexual orientation -- before being allowed into the hospital to visit your "partner"?

If he or I should die, neither one of us has the same inheritance rights as a married couple or a couple with marriage by common law. We pay the same tax's as everyone else, yet are denied the same tax breaks. We share a house and bills, but get no credit. We pay for your children to have a good school with a solid roof and books to read, but do not have children and in some states are denied it.
There is a reason for this...and it reverts back to the whole underlying disagreement. To wit, many of us do not accept gay marriage as being of the same moral and/or legal plane as that of between a man and woman. Society doesn't either (by and large) therefore, these "rights" you believe you are entitled to, are not applicable.

I could just as easily say "I am a man who lives with 12 women and want to marry each of them. I am denied that right yet I pay my taxes and blah..blah..blah..."

Quote:
Our country is based on the freedom of religion and choice. Denying a select group of people the right to marry based on Christianity is bogus, you would also have to deny marriage for jews, american natives, Buddhists and atheists to name a few.
The first ammenment does indeed guarantee freedom of religion (both from coersion and pro-expression). Nothing says there is a right to be married to whomever one chooses. That is based on how it is defined by state laws...often which (rightly) reflect the morality of the said population. Most people don't accept homosexual relationships as the equal of heterosexual, therefore, it is not sanctioned.

Quote:
I want a common law marriage like everyone else has the right to have.
Good. Work for it thru the legislative process and not mandated by force. If one has to do it by the latter, then don't blame others because they resent it.

Quote:
was it a black/African american agenda or a women's agenda when they wanted equal rights that had been denied them?
As an aside question, why do those advancing the homosexual agenda keep trying to tie it into the Civil Rights movement? In fact, in terms of social demographics, black Americans are even more likely than white conservatives to reject and dis-associate themselves from "gay rights."

Anyway, to come back to the point, what rights are homosexual's denied nowdays within the framework of the Constitution and those which were denied African Americans? I live in the South and I don't know of any sign which ever read "NO GAYS ALLOWED"

Quote:
I have yet to see anyone come up with a valid reason for why gay marriage will hurt straight sanctioned marriage agenda.
And you never will, simply by virtue of the fact you don't subscribe to the same moral principles that others on the other side of the question, do. Simple as that. Two men marrying each other is not the moral equivalent (and the way they would engage in a sexual encounter) as a man and women. Do you honestly believe you put people on the defensive by challenging otherwise? Two gay men usually sodomize each other because that is about one of not many other alternatives, right? Sure, two heterosexual couples can do the same, but the difference is they can also engage in a natural relationship where children can be conceived and it all be as perfect a sunrise...

Quote:
Yes it is indeed an agenda and it is still winning the fight, but gay marriage will prevail the same as interracial marriage did in the 1960's. Once the fight for equal rights has begun, it is hard to stop. I for one will not stop till I have the same and equal rights that everyone else in the Unites States enjoys.
Don't fool yourself into thinking that San Francisco or Massachusetts is typical of American attitudes. LOL

And a word to the wise is always sufficient. Don't think that there are not others of us who "will not stop" until this whole insanity of moral anarchy is arrested...and deservedly flushed down the commode where it belongs.

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-12-2008 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,212 times
Exactly! Have fun, folks--

Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 PM

408 posts, read 695,868 times
Conservatives just do not like others that are different from themselves to be happy. This is so sad. One day they will get over it.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
Conservatives just do not like others that are different from themselves to be happy. This is so sad. One day they will get over it.
Yeah, liberals are the most tolerant folks in the world, aren't they? Funny thing (yet not surprising) is that they are the ones responsible for "speech codes" on college campuses, and routinely shout down (and generally make total asses of themselves) speakers of a different ideological segment.

YET? They accuse conservatives of being close-minded. Go figure.

Actually, it ISN'T surprising. The whole underlying premise of liberalism as exists in the country today depends on shutting down opposition...

Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 PM

408 posts, read 695,868 times
Oh jeez, here we go. Get over yourself.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,420,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Really... what would happen if homosexuals were allowed to marry? If you oppose it, why?
Can you imagine what their kids would look like?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,884,432 times
10 Reasons why Legalizing Gay Marriage Will Ruin Society
  1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americans™ always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
  2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
  3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
  4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
  5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
  6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more children.
  7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
  8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in America.
  9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
  10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven’t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
I'm sorry that there is such rampant homophobia in our country. It makes me deeply sad to see such closed-mindedness and bigotry in this land I used to believe was so great. It also makes me sad to know that there are people out there who actually believe that I should conform to their ideologies and morals for no reason other than the fact that they are currently in power. Do believe me when I say I have great pity for homophobes- I cannot imagine what it must be like to be so conflicted.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:22 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
This is just so simplistically WRONG that it's astounding.

But about gay marriage; I'm a die-hard conservative, and have wrestled with this issue a time or two, especially since I have gay friends. I'm not really in favor with gay marriage, but when faced with some of the questions about WHY...guess I have to admit, I don't have very many real good, based-in-fact reasons. The only thing I would oppose is any financial ADVANTAGE to being gay/gay and married. Taxes, etc. for straight married folks ought to be exactly the same as for gay married folks...no differences at all.

I have come to the conclusion that I just plain don't give a chit if gay people want to get married. As long as it doesn't hurt me economically or infringe upon my rights as a straight person, who cares?

Guess I think there are WAY more important issues to think about, talk about, and decide...if gay people want to be as miserable as most of the married people I know, well then, let 'em go at it!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:25 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yeah, liberals are the most tolerant folks in the world, aren't they? Funny thing (yet not surprising) is that they are the ones responsible for "speech codes" on college campuses, and routinely shout down (and generally make total asses of themselves) speakers of a different ideological segment.

YET? They accuse conservatives of being close-minded. Go figure.

Actually, it ISN'T surprising. The whole underlying premise of liberalism as exists in the country today depends on shutting down opposition...
Is it possible to be neither a "conservative" or a "liberal" in this country? If so, that's what I wanna be when I grow up...

Old 05-12-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry that there is such rampant homophobia in our country. It makes me deeply sad to see such closed-mindedness and bigotry in this land I used to believe was so great. It also makes me sad to know that there are people out there who actually believe that I should conform to their ideologies and morals for no reason other than the fact that they are currently in power. Do believe me when I say I have great pity for homophobes- I cannot imagine what it must be like to be so conflicted.
Let me ask this question. At what point did you cease to believe in that the United States was a land of classic freedom, because it didn't accept homosexual marriage? Geez, please spare all that rhetorical, nonsense.

You don't have to "conform" to a dad-gum thing, far as that goes. Believe what you want...but don't expect others to conform to YOUR notion of "morality" (or lack thereof, as in relativistic humaism...and associated premises) either.

Do you honestly expect others to roll over and play dead because you toss out terms like "homophobe" or "bigot" GASP!!! ARRRRRGH...strangles self...kicks legs like in the old Black Flag commercials.

NEWS FLASH! Homophobe has no more affect on me than being called a "jerk" by somebody with big ear-rings and purple polka dotted hair! Big deal. It means nothing other than the person calling it has no other argument to offer. Less, really...

I can't say it any better than Joseph Sobran did...

Here is the relevant except, then the main link:

If I oppose state racial favoritism, I’m a “racist.” If I laugh at feminism, I’m “sexist.” If I consider homosexuality a perversion, I’m a “homophobe.” And of course I’m “ignorant” and “reactionary.”

All these charges assume that I accept the standards they imply, when the whole point is that I don’t accept them — or I wouldn’t be arguing against them. I’m supposed to shrivel up (and shut up) when some fool calls me names, and meaningless names at that? In essence, such people are like members of a sect who abuse others in a sectarian vocabulary that means nothing to nonmembers. They heap furious threats of damnation on people who don’t believe in their hell.

Sobran Column -- Hate Mail

Now then, I am outta here for the evening! Gotta go to work in the morning and time for supper! All y'all have a good night!

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-12-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies