Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 05:32 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
See now you hurt ole' Rebel's feelings.

Unfortunately, Rebel can't cry to the ACLU that you hurt his widdle feelings (nor do I think he would even if he could).

Because being a "backcountry southern hick rebel" isn't on their list of pet projects.

Regardless, he'll suck it up and defend himself like a grownup. Imagine that!

And I agree, nobody called you nasty names, yet you tried to be hurtful to Rebel.

Even if someone called you a mild descriptive name, it'd probably be deleted; but "backcountry southern hicks" don't have the right to be protected from hurt feelings like you and your buddies, right?

One day this nation will rise above political correctness and people will be treated equally...and stop being afraid of being sued for offending someone.
LOL. The only thing I would add to this is I hope you don't REALLY think the "backwoods Southern boy blah blah" stuff actually hurt my feelings!

In fact, I got a good chuckle out of it. It kinda made my point (which you supported in many ways) that those who think of themselves as so tolerant of differing opinions stop short when it comes to disagreeing with theirs. Hell, most of us have too much pride, if nothing else, than to run off to the the New York Times or whoever to whine that we are "offended" because someone called us names. Golly gee whiz.

Shoot, I figure when when the other sides argument is reduced to bigot or homophobe (or whatever is the latest in the chic "ism" or "phobe" vocabulary) then I have scored. LOL

The name calling has no more effect on me than thowing powder puffs, and are usually just the source of a good laugh. (and of course, a good ol' Southern meal).

Anyway, outta here again. Got thangs to do and beer to drink!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:53 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,212 times
Reb, of course; I was referring to what would have happened if one of us had called one of them some inocuous but meant-to-be-insulting name. The ACLU would be on our doorstep...or we'd be warned by mods at the least.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:58 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Why don't they give it a different name? If they get babies, they don't call one person "dad" and they other "mom", so come up with a special name so marriage is between a man and a women and gay marriage is called something else.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,469 times
Talking Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Uh, claiming that gay marriage leads to people wanting to marry animals. Pretty ignorant. That humans are some endangered species and everyone needs to procreate? Considering the population of this planet, that's ignorant. Boiling down gay relationships to nothing more than the sex act - ignorant.

Ha Ha I know this is the lame sh*t religious people are saying. My step dad actually said if you let "those" gays marry then people will start marrying their pet snakes. Ha Ha I'd like to go to that wedding.

YES! CA is now allowing Gay marriage. It's about time...

Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,593 times
Quote:
Reb, of course; I was referring to what would have happened if one of us had called one of them some inocuous but meant-to-be-insulting name. The ACLU would be on our doorstep...or we'd be warned by mods at the least.
insulting names are rude an inappropriate in any context... but demanding someone be open minded to bigotry is an oxymoron...

Old 05-16-2008, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 1,874 times
Absolutely, nothing is wrong with gay marriage. They are people just like the straights. People only think that it is wrong because homosexuals are different from themselves and the most of the media around us is encouraging that. Marriage is not only for a man and a women, its for two people in love that want to be together, whether same sex couple or not.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
insulting names are rude an inappropriate in any context... but demanding someone be open minded to bigotry is an oxymoron...
You start off well enough. Hopefully we all agree on that.

But end up coming around to saying that to have a differing opinon than yours is to be a bigot. THAT is intolerance and bigotry in itself. But of course, I doubt you will see it that way.

It supports something I said earlier about the mindset of many on the left. To wit, "I pride myself, I define myself, as being a tolerant person, morally superior, and open to all lifestyles and opinions. And to disagree with me is to be, by definition, intolerant, and intolerance is NOT to be tolerated. Therefore, I have no qualms nor reason to think I am violating my own standards by labeling others as bigots (or whatever)"

Old 05-16-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I figured as much, my friend! You are right!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:37 PM

259 posts, read 789,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Geez, didn't you see "The Daily Show" last week? Crime would definitely go up. The terrorists would walk all over us. All the Mexicans would come into our country illegally, take all our jobs, and make us speak Spanish. Everyone would start getting abortions all the time. The Earth would stop spinning. And, gasp, more people would chose to be gay!! Total nightmare!

You covered it all. Thats just what would happen!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:40 PM

259 posts, read 789,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankidan View Post
the same thing that is wrong with gays in general. Marriage is ment to be between a man and a woman. Relationships are ment to be between a man and a woman. Is there anything rigth about gay marriage? No, theres not.

And tell the pregnant woman to not eat pickles with ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies