Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 12:06 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,508,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
The voters can disapprove of whatever they want: their State Constitution is written in such a way that the result of the vote was unconstitutional. What you witnessed there was ill-advised political activism and the Court had to rule on it when the challenge rose high enough. In California sexual orientation is a protected characteristic and as such discrimination against homosexuals must be well supported... and it wasn't. Voters' whim is not sufficient to abridge what is recognized in that state as a fundamental right.
What I witnessed is the 9th circuit court overuling a vote by the people.

No, of course not, as you say, the "voters whim" (the people...???) don't make diddly damn...

Quote:
Oppression of women and perpetuation of slavery were ideas by the same people who today are called liberals? Really?
You have to define "oppression" To ME, "oppression" is the dependency made by the welfare state. But give me yours. But yes, read "The Strange Career of Jim Crow"...liberals -- as defined in the day -- were the ones who originally advanced segregation laws. So lets don't get holier than thou!

Logically, if homosexual marriage has a basis...why can't I marry the 11 I have waiting on me to stop typing on the computer and figure out which one I want to spend time with tonight? (I said earlier 12...but one of them walked out on me a bit ago cos she got tired of me ignoring her)

P.S. To the literal minded...I AM just joking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 12:14 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,898,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Point is, logic -- as in pure logic -- has nothing to do with it. Logic is the realm of the ivory towner. That is why Spock on StarTrek was, wellll, logically, a ridiculous figure! Even ended up being "human" LOL

Hell, "logically", I oughta go and beat up my now grown kids. All they did was cost me money when they were growing up, kept me up night crying when I had to go to work -- two jobs and going to college -- the next morning to make enough money to buy pampers and change the same and wipe snotty noses and figure out how to save enough to make Christmas out of it.

BUT...I love them and would do it all again, and it just IS! It exists on a level that is instinctive and natural.

As this applies to the subject at hand? There is a reason (even if it can't be spelled out) why homosexual marriage doesn't make the cut. You (in the third person sense, not you personally) can force it thru the courts, suppress counter-opinions, and try and frame it in terms of "rights".....but none of this stands to true scruinty.
in your opinion... what's good for the goose is good for the gander....

Old 05-17-2008, 12:23 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,508,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
in your opinion... what's good for the goose is good for the gander....

Actually, in MY opinion, if the homosexual agenda is truly supported by the people, then let the people's vote stand. What is the problem with that? Why use/rely on the courts to mandate otherwise?

Now then, for myself, I am going to call it a night! Enjoyed the discussion/debate...and never take it personal.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 AM

24,453 posts, read 33,125,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
Opinion / The Irish Times on the Web / ireland.com (http://www.drizzle.com/~slmndr/salamandir/pubs/irishtimes/opt3.htm - broken link)

"...in the definitive 10th century Greek account of their lives, St Serge is openly described as the "sweet companion and lover" of St Bacchus.

In other words, it confirms what the earlier icon implies, that they were a homosexual couple. "
You are getting desperate!

Homosexuality is condemned by both God and the Bible.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,118,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You are getting desperate!

Homosexuality is condemned by both God and the Bible.
Whose God? Which God? This is NOT a religious subject, but lots of people want to justify their hatred by employing some religious "reasoning" to their "argument". The separation of church and state should clearly rule out any possibility of potential laws first being filtered through some religious texts. Oh, and I don't think God really condemns anything, God ALLOWS everything. It is we ourselves who condemn each other and boy have we got a lot to learn on that subject!

If you're not gay this doesn't concern you. If you don't want gays to marry, don't be gay and don't get married. Case closed.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:10 AM

24,453 posts, read 33,125,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Whose God? Which God? This is NOT a religious subject, but lots of people want to justify their hatred by employing some religious "reasoning" to their "argument". The separation of church and state should clearly rule out any possibility of potential laws first being filtered through some religious texts. Oh, and I don't think God really condemns anything, God ALLOWS everything. It is we ourselves who condemn each other and boy have we got a lot to learn on that subject!
Whose God? You will find out when your times comes; just as we all will. God does not allow everything, homosexuality is an example.

Quote:
If you're not gay this doesn't concern you. If you don't want gays to marry, don't be gay and don't get married. Case closed.
The case will be closed when the voters in California vote to ammend the Constitution and keep marriage for a man and a woman only!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:34 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,961,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
What I witnessed is the 9th circuit court overuling a vote by the people.
On a constitutional issue. Don't leave out the important parts! In the other gay marriage thread you appealed to non-Christians to not leave out the important parts of Biblical passages. I urge you see the full picture in this legal matter as well.

Quote:
No, of course not, as you say, the "voters whim" (the people...???) don't make diddly damn...
Let's say the people of California had voted to take the freedom of assembly away from gays. Would you not support the court's ruling on constitutional grounds? Until the State Constitution is altered to allow such a vote the law with such an intent comes up unconstitutional and must be stricken down if the way this country's government was set up matters at all. The voters' whim is subject to constitutional approval. Welcome to the Republic and its form of government.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:41 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,484,811 times
Default Polygamy And Gay Marriage Isn't Allowed In The U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
No..

Polygamy, gay marriage, and other forms of marriage have existed for centuries. If you knew anything about sociology, you'd know that. No religion has a monpoly on the word marriage.

Polygamy and Incestual Marriages and Gay Marriages "Aren't legal in America so "What's Your Point"....At 10:00 AM Friday the California Supreme Court Over Turned The State Law Against GAY MARRIAGE 4/3...But guess what you still won't be able to get Married Until June 16th 2008 and California Has A Ballot Measure In November " A State Constitutional Amendment " To Define MARRIAGE As A Union Between A Man And A Woman....And there nothing a State Supreme Court Can Do With A State Constitutional Amendment....

Old 05-17-2008, 04:59 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,484,811 times
Default I'm saying the "Same Thing that You Are Saying " bbkaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Not really. Because he's saying the same thing I do (correct me if I'm wrong Howest):

Go ahead and be gay. Have your civil unions. Fight against inequality for gay people in the workplace or whatever.

But you can't be married. It just isn't possible. Because marriage takes place between a man and a woman.

And I won't let homosexuality become so "normal" that it impedes on an institution that I hold near and dear.

As I've said, it may become law that two men are (what? "husband and husband?" or does one of you call yourself the "wife?" how the hell does that work anyway??) married. But it won't be because of my vote, believe me.

See I have lived out in CALIFORNIA for 30 Years and I know what the "In's and Out's are in the Homosexual Agenda...and it's not about "Equal Rights" It's About Making Homosexual Acts NORMAL...as NORMAL AS HETEROSEXUAL ACTS...well now i hope that everyone can Understand Me Now....I'm originally from Oklahoma(Tulsa) and A Afro-American..who had GAY and BISEXUALS Friends who were DIFFERENT In Oklahoma..Heterosexual Activity Is Normal And Not Homosexual or Bisexual or Transexual or any of the OTHER Sexuals , but Everyone Must Have The Basic Civil Rights Given To All American.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:17 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,398,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Everyone Must Have The Basic Civil Rights Given To All American.
Most Americans don't have the government peering into their bedrooms, so shouldn't all people have that benefit? I think personal privacy is a basic civil right.

Whether you're aware or not, you contradicted yourself - to one side and back - in one paragraph. That takes some talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies