Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 06:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
"Gay marriage" is not mentioned in the Bible, but homosexuality is and it is condemned.
Is there a point here, or just a factoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Nothing. It's just another wedge issue that the Corporatists use to keep the common people busy while plundering America for their profits. The Christianist ministers who spread this propaganda are perfect, willing, and able accomplices to complete the indoctrination by the (centre-right) corporate media.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterrabbit View Post
funny how you talk about me being inarticulate...because i never claimed i was(just like i never condemned judging), but theres something to be said about an Adult as yourself not being able to comprehend the simplest of ideas...and you may be right...people who cant accept true eqaulity may be lesser men then those who do. Thanks for the ARTICULATE(actually you sound like a pirate doing a cowboy impersonation) response.
If you will note, I never said it was you who condemnded judging. Rather, I made reference in a post to another person, something else you had written. Also, I don't know whether you are generally articulate or not, however, I felt the particular post of yours I replied to, had some problems in terms of making your point clear. That's all.

Be that as it may, here is what, IMHO, you have a hard time comprehending. That is, that simply because someone does not accept the vision and political/social priority you seem to place on "equality" in all things, translates into that they neither understand what you are saying nor believe that "equality" has any value at all.

I fully embrace the notion that all of us (man, woman, gay, straight, black, white, etc, etc) are "equal" within -- not only the eyes of God -- but in terms of having the same protections and rights guaranteed by the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Where we part company though is the groundless idea that one, by default, outright rejects ALL notions of equality simple because they refuse to accept ALL things as equal (in terms of moral/legal acceptance).

Any coherent society is going to be bound, to some extent, by shared values...which in turn are going to be codified into law. Traditional marriage as being sanctioned as between a man and woman happens to be one of these...for good, solid, reasons, often discussed before (so no need presently to get into that one again).

I don't hate homosexuals, nor care in the slightest what they do in their personal life. To be honest, I don't spend much time thinking about it one way or another. Anyway, although I wouldn't call him a good friend (but not because he is gay) I do have a friend I work with who is gay. We even both kid about it with each other. I don't accept his lifestyle as "normal" nor the idea he and his "partner" have a "right" to be married. We have frankly talked about this issue. He knows how I feel, I know how he does. No big deal. And most importantly, he isn't one of those "activists" who makes a point to rub it in everyones face.

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-20-2008 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
What if your coworker told you he didn't think you and your loved one had a right to get married?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
What if your coworker told you he didn't think you and your loved one had a right to get married?
I'd first of all tell him he was full of s**t and no pun intended!

AND? He would laugh like hell and find a way to payback! He is a "cowboy" type and goes to the "Texas Gay Rodeo". He came back from one of them and showed me some pics of himself with what I thought was a beautiful "woman", prefacing by saying "hey, don't you think there is hope for me yet?" I fell for it...up until the point he pointed out the fact (had I looked at it closer would have seen it myself) it was a man in drag!

Har-de-har-har...and he definitely won that round....!

But anyway, as I said in an earlier post. He doesn't really challenge established laws regarding marriage. But if he did, and directed them at me over a beer, I would simply rejoin that the institution of herterosexual marriage has its source and premise in nature, history, societal norms, and, as regards this country, reflected in sanction in turn reflecting cultural values.

At THAT point in time? No tellin....this feller could shock the hell out of me by what he would say!

But, when all the kidding and joking was done, I would stand by my own premises and opinions and reasons for such as expressed many times before on this thread and topic. And now with that said, time to get outta here for the evening. Everyone have a good one!

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-20-2008 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 07:02 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,613 times
Gay marriage is biblically wrong and it is a sin. God made a man (Adam) and a woman (Eve) to reproduce, He didn't create man and man and woman and woman to be together. Marriage is supposed to be between a man a woman, just like the Lord made it.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Gay marriage is biblically wrong and it is a sin. God made a man (Adam) and a woman (Eve) to reproduce, He didn't create man and man and woman and woman to be together. Marriage is supposed to be between a man a woman, just like the Lord made it.
Marriage is not a religious matter but a civil one currently in the United States. Do you have an argument against it that has any relevance?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Marriage is not a religious matter but a civil one currently in the United States. Do you have an argument against it that has any relevance?
It's a civil matter to gays, but to most straight people is does relate to religion, thats why you see people getting married in a church by a Minister.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:21 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's a civil matter to gays, but to most straight people is does relate to religion, thats why you see people getting married in a church by a Minister.
Some gay people get married in churches, too. Some straight people get married at city hall and have no church ceremony whatsoever. But that doesn't make it a religious matter. One has to have a license issued to him by the state or it isn't valid. I'm not saying marriage should be a civil matter--I'm just saying that's the way it is right now.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:22 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's a civil matter as far as our .gov is concerned because that is the realm they oversee and that is what gays are fighting for. Religion should not even be part of this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies