Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 03:46 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here is my conservative thought in regards to restrooms - no one should be afraid to question suspicious activity for fear of government sanctions.
This. I'm generally socially liberal but this has become nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 03:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Such ordinances should be locally controlled.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:00 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Bottom line there never was an issue here. Trans people have been going to the RR for years with no issues. Progs decided this was a good way to attack the culture. So they start passing laws letting men in the ladies room....

people get upset about it. Progs get to claim folk are being mean to these poor trans people.

reality is progs are doing putting these Trans folk in danger. They don't care at all about them. They care about burning down the culture.

That's what progs do. They hate, they destroy, they do what they can to hurt all that don't do what they say.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Should we require the public to carry their birth certificates at all times, and have police or security officers ready at public restrooms to enforce the government regulations on bathroom use? Is this the small-government solution?

I have just one question:

When did "transgender individuals" (AG's words) become a protected class?

My small-government solution is that the private sector should be free to adopt their own bathroom standards.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Bottom line there never was an issue here. Trans people have been going to the RR for years with no issues. Progs decided this was a good way to attack the culture. So they start passing laws letting men in the ladies room....

people get upset about it. Progs get to claim folk are being mean to these poor trans people.

reality is progs are doing putting these Trans folk in danger. They don't care at all about them. They care about burning down the culture.

That's what progs do. They hate, they destroy, they do what they can to hurt all that don't do what they say.
No that's just dumb. Clearly the Christian Right is the one who hates and destroys based on what version of God they believe in.

This is a very litigious nation so such things have to be spelled out legally.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Like I said, you never post anything but total nonsense. But thanks for playing.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Should we require the public to carry their birth certificates at all times, and have police or security officers ready at public restrooms to enforce the government regulations on bathroom use? Is this the small-government solution?
12-year olds should stay off these boards.
Tell me where your mom will be tomorrow and I'll go by and meet her in the ladies room. I feel like being a female around 11AM.
America has lost it's mind!

Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
No that's just dumb. Clearly the Christian Right is the one who hates and destroys based on what version of God they believe in.

This is a very litigious nation so such things have to be spelled out legally.

Did you just say that with a straight face?

Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Did you just say that with a straight face?
Absolutely. The Christian right are to blame when it comes to where you can insert your penis, how late you can purchase alcohol, what you can and can't smoke, who you marry, etc.

Still can't buy liquor on Sundays in Texas because of the Baptists! But they can't stop us from dancin'!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 PM

720 posts, read 500,385 times
Here's my 2c:

While I'm not generally concerned about transgendered people using public accommodations that line up with their gender identity, I think I'm more on the government's side of this issue.

I understand and sympathize with people who say this seems like another iteration of "separate but equal" polices aimed at segregating blacks and whites, but I think they have a false reading of history. Racial distinctions are arbitrary and meaningless and existed to discriminate against a race of people who were once thought to be inferior. There is no substantial difference between races when it comes to using public facilities, so those laws were rightly overturned.

Sex is a different matter. "Male" and "female" are not baseless distinctions. There is no social construct we're seeking to perpetuate by acknowledging the biological reality that men are not women and women are not men.

I think people should be free to choose their sex if that's what they want to do, but their gender identity doesn't necessarily have to influence more than that.

I don't know if this makes me a leftist or a conservative, but the way I see it is, the government is permitted and at times obligated to address contingencies the rest of us don't worry or care about. Do I think all or most transgendered people are predators who will take advantage of their gender identity in order to prey on women and children? Of course not. Do I think some of them might if they have an opportunity? Unfortunately, yes.

If the government doesn't want to risk creating a legal loophole that allows predators access to vulnerable people, they can pass laws addressing that. Of course it should be within reason -- that's what the Constitution is for -- but I don't think people's misgivings on identity grounds should outweigh the government trying to keep order.

If a woman or child is harassed as a result of this law, it's not up to John Q. Public to conduct an investigation, arrest the perpetrator, prosecute him, and throw him in jail; that's the role of the government. If people don't like the law, they should protest, petition, and vote for people who will pass and repeal laws they agree with.

But in the meantime, people need to realize that the government passes laws every day that affect you, that might inconvenience how you live your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies