Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 10:26 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, I think it is important to speak of slavery in an historical context in regards to us knowing the true history of our country. But IMO, this discussion and education should start with the fact that the first Africans brought to America were NOT slaves. The establishment of slavery in the colonies is actually a very interesting history that a lot of people are not aware of.

On what it does, IMO it puts into context our opportunities today. There is no reason to "blame whitey" for much of anything in one's personal lives today as a black person. There is still systematic racism, but it is not all encompassing like it used to be and does not affect us today to a wide degree.

On the "Why haven't we?" portion of your comment. We have moved on and prospered.

It is crazy for so many of you to think that black people are low lifes, basically that is what you are contributing to.

The poster I responded to above, thinks the Hmong are superior to us just because they are Asian when they have WAY more issues than black people, as do Cambodians and Vietnamese Asians.

You all IMO actually are proving my earlier point in that instead of slavery we need to study "modern history" basically from 1900-2000 in regards to black America. Too many of you are unaware of how far we have come as a demographic and unaware that we are already, to a wide degree and compared to a majority of the world's population - successful.
1. Right, it doesn't affect us to a wide degree. So what is all the griping and complaining for?
2. Have we moved on and prospered? In what sense? It feels like we're moving backwards. And where did I say that I think blacks are low lives??
3. We were doing well until the 60s with the "Civil Rights" trap we fell into. Now we blindly support Democrats that do next to nothing for us. Also, it doesn't matter if we're more "successful compared to majority of the world's population" because we're not in those places. We're here in the US. And in THIS country, we need to step it up.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
It was over 150 years ago. It doesn't matter at this point because all those people are dead. Slavery isn't affecting this country or it's inhabitants in 2016. The more we talk about it, the more it just angers people despite the fact that nothing can be done about it now. It's time to move on and look toward the future instead of dwelling on our horrible past. Slavery still exist in other parts of the world like Africa and the Middle East right now in present day. We should be talking about that.........
I don't know about anyone else but I am not talking about Slavery. And actually Slavery exists much closer to home presently than South America or the Middle East. Right on the U.S. border, tomatoes are being farmed using captive Central Americans. But I digress. The issue of Slavery is not what keeps City-Data roiling in race baited fury. It is the ongoing Apartheid state between white and black America. As long as the future looks like continued 16% unemployment for black Americans, even while it falls to less than 5% for whites, there are going to be agitations and repercussions and periodic episodes of conflict. As long as the prevailing Law Enforcement culture across America is to see whatever black communities that reside in their jurisdictions as nothing more than revenue stream there are going to be agitations and repercussions and periodic episodes of conflict. We should be talking about that..........

Old 05-13-2016, 11:03 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Tripe. Americas fantastic divorce rate most of it concentrated squarely in the WASP demographic guarantees that single motherhood is most represented in the WASP demographic, and thus it is not single motherhood in and of itself that is most detrimental, but poverty. Period. If the single mother is wealthy, or is receiving adequate child support there is no problem. It isn't that black mothers are single that is damaging, but that they are often poor. But when you see a black woman with children its obvious. She has had sex! Why should she have that right. She is poor! She should be celibate. She has not earned the right to have physical pleasure.
Its a combination of everything. Single black mothers in the ghetto dont all have the mentality to do everything for their children. They are raised by bad decisions of their mothers, encouraged by their friends to keep babies from men that dont want to be with them. They have sex with men that dont want to commit to them, and keep repeating the process. Then they hate the kids because its reminders of the man. Some do it to avoid working and collect from the system. Many are bred with the worst mentality. No men in their lives for balance, no intent on finding work, only worried about looking good for the next guy that "might save them", desperately trying to find a man posting crazy body pics on FB and Instagram. The general combative attitude and low self esteem to cover for the consistent bad decisions.

And then theres the men. Well they are carelessly providing seed to women they have no intention to commit to.
This keeps happening because both the men and the women dont think they are the ones perpetuating the cycle, while they are perpetuating the cycle. They realize it when its too late.

You dont see this many bad apples (in the media) with the poor hispanic community because there are more fathers in their lives, more balance, better work ethic, and more family orientation. I saw a 22 year old boy from the ghetto on video threatening to kill a youtube host. The kid couldnt even talk decent english. When they talked, the boy eventually broke down that he was raised only by his mother, didnt know his father, and had dad envy his hispanic friends had dads that taught them how to fix cars and work on houses.

I think theres a way to fix the issues, but it would take consistent coaching for the kids to keep the new generation from perpetuating the cycle. Takes alot of time that generally successful people dont have.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Only on City-Data is this epic cop out as oft repeated and documented.
Dispute the FACTS that:

Africans practiced slavery thousands of years before America was even colonized, and STILL practice slavery TO THIS DAY.

Missing Nigerian Girls - News & Top Stories, Boko Haram Kidnapping - NBC News

There would be no African slaves in America or an Atlantic slave trade if Africans hadn't captured and sold other Africans into slavery. The problem starts at the source.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I should let you know, I am black.
This isn't Facebook. What you are is irrelevant, as is what I am. On C-D all any of us is are our words. I like the purity of that. I responded to your words, and it really matters not one fig what you actually look like.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
1. Right, it doesn't affect us to a wide degree. So what is all the griping and complaining for?
2. Have we moved on and prospered? In what sense? It feels like we're moving backwards. And where did I say that I think blacks are low lives??
3. We were doing well until the 60s with the "Civil Rights" trap we fell into. Now we blindly support Democrats that do next to nothing for us. Also, it doesn't matter if we're more "successful compared to majority of the world's population" because we're not in those places. We're here in the US. And in THIS country, we need to step it up.
1 - I have been the main one in the thread not griping and complaining. I also mentioned that black people, by and large, gripe and complain because they are ignorant of modern American history and are unaware of how far we have come in practically every statistical measure from 1900 through 2000. IMO this sort of education, is MUCH more important than learning about slavery because it deals with the here and now and will pull down the barriers of deception about us as a demographic.

2 - We have moved on and prospered in the sense that we now are allowed to do things that we were not and a majority of us, including you and me and branh and nearly every other black person on this forum have taken advantage of. People who continuously believe what you wrote for #3 (that we are doing worse than the 1960s!! IMO, you must think we are low lifes because we are WAY better than we were in the 1960s) are ignoring reality. People who believe what you wrote for #3 are the persons I am speaking about above, insomuch as they are not knowledgeable about 20th century/modern history as it concerns black Americans. You all don't even know how we are doing as a demographic to any wide scale. You rely solely on media telling you we are "at-risk" instead of viewing the hard data which shows that "risk" is usually less than 2% of us being any negative statistic.

3 - This made me shake my head in that you believe that on the whole black people are worse today than we were in the 1960s. It is just sad. You need to learn some history. Over 50% of black people lived in poverty in 1960. Black people were still being lynched in 1960. Black people were not allowed to live where they wanted to live in 1960s, which directly negatively impacted our financial outlook and legacy to our children (probably your, and certainly my own parents who were born in the late 50s/early 1960s). Black people were a majority uneducated in 1960s. Black people were generally excluded from any sort of mainstream career in 1960. I could go on and on.

The ONLY thing you all site about us versus the 1960s is that we had more "two parent families" as if that is the end all/be all for statistical reference.

You ignore:
  • With single parenting black people have increased in education
  • With single parenting black people have decreased in criminal activity
  • With single parenting black people have increased in property ownership/wealth attainment
  • With single parenting white people have increased in education
  • With single parenting white people have decreased in criminal activity
  • With single parenting white people have increased in property ownership/wealth attainment
Single parent homes have a VERY minimal impact on all of the above.

By nearly every measure, as a demographic, we are doing better today than in 1960.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:02 PM

596 posts, read 428,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Dispute the FACTS that:

Africans practiced slavery thousands of years before America was even colonized, and STILL practice slavery TO THIS DAY.

Missing Nigerian Girls - News & Top Stories, Boko Haram Kidnapping - NBC News

There would be no African slaves in America or an Atlantic slave trade if Africans hadn't captured and sold other Africans into slavery. The problem starts at the source.
What you don't understand is that for American Black's history is only from 1605 to 1965. Before 1605 is irrelevant as is anything that has happened in the past 50 years. Concentrate on what they tell you with their stories. Their tales of whoah, it's all from within that time period.

This realization helps you to understand better. The only thing they've ever been effected by (collectively) is between 1605-1965. The only thing that matters is what happened to them during that time. They're behavior before 1605 means nothing and their behavior after 1965 is all because of those intervening years.

'Twas always thus, and always thus will be"

Old 05-13-2016, 12:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Wow OP, wallowing in anger? How about this instead. Being a success in your life, raising good kids and being happy is much better.

I'm a women and we were expected to stay home and take care of house and the kids. Women were also slaves in a sense but you won't believe that because the women didn't wear shackles. But lack of ability to support themselves ad lack of money kept them in place. Think about that for a min? You don't need shackles to be held back. And don't forget, women were not allowed to vote either. Back to my original point. Some women were unfortunate because they married sob's who thought that women were punching bags but they couldn't leave because they didn't have the money to leave. How about the men who ran on their wives but the women couldn't leave because of lack of money. Women took a lot of crap in those days... notice the common these.... all due to not being able to support themselves and being dependent on another. Come to think of it, although it is not family I'm not happy to have to hand over my hard earned money to government so I could understand not wanting to hand over my money a little.

There was even a time we couldn't have checking accounts and could not buy a house on our own because the banks would not give women a mortgage. Of the women who did work, they were considered old maids. I have an uncle that won't speak to me and wrote me out of his will because when my mother became ill, although I help her and pay others to help her, he's mad because even though I have two brothers he said is my place and I should sell my house and move in with her, screw my family and my job right? Thankfully one brother says that BS and he does his share of taking care of her too.

The point is, you can never forget, but never put yourself in the place where you are dependent on others to house and feed yourself, and never carry a chip on your shoulder, anger only weighs you down. You only have one life. I know how women were held back but I'm not angry and I'm better off for it.

You can attack me if you like but that's my take.

Last edited by petch751; 05-13-2016 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Just because your stats show something, they mean NOTHING. And they have blown black Americans out of the water everywhere you look (where I live anyway). They are pushing the blacks out of St Paul. They have invigorated University Ave to the point where it's probably the best it's ever been. Housing has skyrocketed in value. Their children are raising the bar at every school they send them too. They are becoming examples for ALL Americans, white included on how to conduct yourself in business and in life.

So take your phony stats and throw them in the garbage and just take a look around.
The bold proves my point about you and others (including self hating black people with an inferiority complex).

No matter what evidence you are provided, you will never believe that black people are not inferior to whites or Asians of any demographic.

It is WELL known that the Hmong have very high poverty rates and some of the lowest graduation rates in the country.

For you to ignore that and conclude that they are "better" than black people is ridiculous.

And please note, I do not think they are "worse" than black people. I personally believe, that due to them being a primarily refugee community, that they have a very tough row to hoe in our society but that like black people, they are rising and getting better with every passing decade and that they will continue to do so, just like black Americans.

On the red, I am black. Around me is my black family. We are highly educated and gainfully employed, our kids aren't criminals and we are doing fine. FWIW, one of my brothers works at a factory where there are quite a few Asian immigrant/refugee employees, including Hmong and he and they are equal at the place of work. He's been there longer than most of the other workers and so he probably makes more money (it is an auto parts manufacturer and everyone makes pretty good money there).

Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The one thing you fluffed off is the most important thing of all: the great damage and destruction caused by single parenthood. Single parenthood is a fantastic predictor of failure, destruction, and despair. It is bad by itself, however once you add the fact that most of the single parents are less than 25 and unfit to support themselves, much less a baby, and you have a picture of what causes the inner city and all its negativity.

If there was one thing that could be done in a single generation to erase poverty and malaise, it would be for low income people to stop condemning children to failure by NOT HAVING THEM UNTIL THE CORRECT TIME.

The groups of people who succeed and prosper as a rule DON'T DO SINGLE PARENTHOOD. Single parenthood almost defines the problem by itself.
See post above regarding single parenthood.

If it is such a horrible thing, why haven't the white demographic lost their status in our society as single parenthood and divorce is a constant of the white demographic. Nothing negative has happened to whites while their out of wedlock birthrate has more than doubled in the last 30 years (the black rate has always been high and is rising slower than that of whites).

If what you believe is the case - that children raised by single parents, is the primary reason why people are "failures" then you have way more failures amongst the white demographic than any other.

I was raised by a single parent and am not a failure. Neither are my siblings. Neither are many of my cousins who were raised in single parent homes and neither are the many of the my white friends and family (I have a very racially mixed family via marriage) members who were raised by single mothers.

Poverty and malaise was MUCH higher in the past when practically all families were lead by two parent/married couples. On a global scale, the poorest countries in the world are ones with high marriage rates and two parent homes. The richest are the ones with rising single parent statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies