Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 04:09 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
The mayor, or ex mayor, of flint michigan is an oppressor, he's not dead. The major of chicago and ex head of chicago police dept is an oppressor he's not dead. A number of repubs who support mass incarceration and for profit prisons are oppressors and they're not dead...knowledge of slavery opens my eyes to look into this.
Suit yourself, it's your time to waste, you own it. One day you'll realize I am right, but not today.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
My "trope", to use a favorite pusillanimous left wing term of contempt, is 100% absolutely monochromatically correct as far the proper and moral way to raise children. For young teenagers to cavalierly copulate, and make life, is immoral, irrational, destructive, self-annihilating, shameful, and evil. And I don't care how many brain dead social engineers you assemble to gouge out their eyes so as to avoid seeing reality.
on using pusillanimous in a sentence. The rest of your rant is: out of touch, moralistic, and wrong. Why does a woman need to be over 30 and educated to stay home with children? You haven't though this through. BTW taxes in the Scandinavian countries is no higher than in the U.S. on low and middle earners. America stiffs the middle class with gas, vice, communications, lodging, sales and other taxes that don't show up on a 1040. The total bite is no more or less than the 50% that someone pays on the EU equivalent of $60k/yr. Its the high earners that complain. Americans complain their taxes are too high and they can't afford to see a dentist. The Danish office manager doesn't have to pay her dentist out of pocket or even find the cash for a co-pay. Nor does she have to find six figures (each!) to put her kids through a good school.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:50 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default What specifically about slavery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Unfortunately this is real and I mentioned it in my original post, "I was watching a jazz documentary and [since freedom, shortly after slavery, there was a mentality in a lot of blacks who assert, 'I'm not going to do it because, you told me to do it and you don't own me.']

This mentality has unfortunately kept in some, esp. former friends who weren't on the college track. Sometimes it manifests academically, professionally, socially, authority-wise or a combination of the four--each person is different. I would say, yes it is real and though not all blacks have this mentality, a sizeable portion do.

Learning about slavery would repel this train of thought in black men (bc it's more of a man phenomenon than female) would repel this train of thought!!! Become a scholar of your ancestry.
dialloacedo,

I'd dare say that most African-Americans feel they are already versed enough in Trans-Atlantic Slavery, including myself. There have been plenty of movies, PBS specials, and books written about it. Consequently, there doesn't appear to be a need or real benefit on becoming a further scholar on the subject or writing a thesis on it. Yet, you say that is exactly what needs to happen to build self-esteem and a sense of self. Understandably, many Afr-Americans see it as a tragic, horrible, and negative occurrence in our history. However, you appear to have looked at/studied the same subject and found it fascinating and empowering. How did that happen? What specifics would you recommend that African-Americans study on Slavery?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:23 PM

Default I agree!

Quote:
If this statistic were reversed, and 72% of the children were born to 2-parent MARRIED AND COMMITTED mom and dad households, the entire concept that we identify as the "inner city" would be non-existent. A simple choice to do things in the correct order and with a little self-discipline ERASES THE WHOLE DAMNED PROBLEM. And without the GOVERNMENT!
I agree Marc Paolella. If 72% of African-American children were born to married parents that would mean more family stability (less inner city problems) and the number of women having children by multiple fathers would dramatically decrease also (which creates a lot of psychological issues and instability for children). Black poverty numbers would be much lower. You'd have two people equally invested in their family instead of the onus being on the woman to be STRONG and make sure she provides for "her children".

Although as was posted earlier, by residing2007, there are cases that exist of Black cohabiting couples with children and so only one income is on the record, but in my opinion the truth of the matter is that many of those relationships are transient and even more fleeting than married relationships are (and we all know how fleeting marriages are among all Americans in our day and age). Shack-ups relationships in most Black communities are very fragile and fleeting and RARELY have: parental support from married parents on both sides, a planned trajectory of legally getting marriage, building wealth together, and creating a proud heritage for their children as a goal.

Instead, they are easy-in and easy-out relationships that lack the respect and dignity of legal marriage (ironically especially among other Blacks in the community) and that is the way they are treated, especially by the men involved, IMO. These relationships are often revolving doors that bring nothing to the home but strife, division, emotional distress, and sometimes physical violence (but that happens in some marriages too).

As was posted by Leisturm (sp), situations are nuanced and not always resolved with simple answers in black and white. There are issues that are layered and complicated by many things: past racial history, current racial structure within society, parental training, home life, gender expectations, an individual's self esteem, self-image, education or lack thereof, real-life role models and mentors or lack thereof, psychological negative programming, and so forth. Marriage brings its own issues but those couldn't be as bad as the current poverty rates created by the father-lessness of children who grow up to be adults and the baby-mama/baby-daddy epidemic that has plagued for the past 40 years and has created the killing fields and crime magnets of "the inner city".

Old 05-19-2016, 07:43 PM

Default Handful of regular members

Quote:
If you go by the number of shanty churches that seem to exist in so many inner city storefronts, you would say yes. There are hundreds of them. But mysticism is the LAST THING THAT IS NEEDED IN THESE COMMUNITIES. What would alter the landscape is some good old fashioned atheistic REASON.
Most of those small storefront or shanty types churches have very small memberships. Many are ineffective at making any inroads in the neighborhoods in which they occupy and operate more like an extended family of Christian believers getting together. The membership is usually a handful of regular attendees consisting of an older deacon(s), one or two married couples of which includes the pastor, and the rest are single mothers with their children and elderly women. I had this discussion with another person in real life recently and I'll say the same here: the Black Church CANNOT be blamed for the ills of the Black community. If people choose to attend services and profess their belief in a Christian lifestyle and yet live total opposite to it ethical and moral teachings or do not change their behavior to adhere to its' teaching, that is on them.

The Black church nor the Bible can be blamed because Christianity is a voluntary faith based religion spread by freewill to commit to God and how far one is willing to grow in that endeavor. Christianity is not ISLAM. If you choose not to follow Christian principles the worst that can happen is that you won't be allowed to hold certain positions in church and may be given sideways glances or shunned privately by other members but that is it. It's extremely rare to even to barred from attending the services. The Black Church, their Jewish messiah Jesus Christ, the Holy Bible, nor erroneous images of a White Euro-centric God CANNOT be blamed nor is responsible for people choosing to paying it lip service (attending, singing, clapping, being in the choirs) and yet choosing to live their personal lives in total opposition to its teachings.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 05-19-2016 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
By the way, it might be nice if people legally reported their status and paid some income taxes instead of manipulating the corrupt system to feather their beds with other people's money and not contribute to the country in which they live. People like me are paying the bills, and we are quite sick of it.
You're being disingenuous and you know it.

Not contributing to the country in which they live?? Excuse me, we're not talking about illegal immigrants who work off the books and pay no taxes, FICA, health insurance, unemployment, etc, but will still use the services made possible by taxpayers. We're talking about African-Americans employees, 99% of which work on the books and pay taxes AND FICA, and etc., as a W-4 is required to be filled out upon being hired at any legal job whether married or single. Working African-Americans PAY taxes into the very system in which you do. Some may use the food stamp program or section 8 services since their income combined with the number of children renders them eligible to receive food-stamps and/or section 8. So, the statement you made is BOGUS. They contribute to the country and have a 400 years history of contributing blood, sweat, and tears to this great country. Can you say the same about your ancestral line?

I'll help you out with understanding where the bad ethics lie in the situation that you're referring to from residing2007 post to you earlier. When it comes to filing taxes at the end of the year, those single working mothers file as Single-head-of-household person, which they are. Their cohabiting partner files as a single person which he/she is. So they're both paying taxes but sticking to the letter of the law. The problem comes, and here is where I'm helping you understand, is when applying for govt services, if you're working, what you're eligible for is SEVERELY reduced compared to if you didn't work at all and even that's not much. So the single mother making $35K (which is a low salary with the cost-of-living in much of the US unless you still live with your parents) using only her income when applying for food-stamps may qualify for $300-500 for the month of food stamps for herself and four children. Of course the govt is not aware that she has a partner in the home who works and contributes to the home. I'm not saying that's okay or ethical because its not.

At any rate, that's how it works and that is the amount of money that they're generally eligible for as working-on-the-books-tax-paying-Americans. Less children means even less money than that. Our govt social services only goes all out for two types: 1) those who refuse to work at all and 2) those who screwed up so bad that the govt must help (unmarried women who have a boatload of children one after the other, rehab persons, ex-cons).

Working African-Americans (and all legal working and middle class Americans) who are trying to help themselves find more red tape, stupid rules, and frustration than significant financial assistance from the govt. Of course, every little bit helps but for when I hear people like yourself whining and complaining about such insignificant amounts of money being given to working people, I see right through it. It's coming from a petty and mean-spirited heart. Should people stop using deceptive numbers to qualify for govt benefits? Of course they should! Should they be FORCED to pay it back when caught? Of course. But to whine and complain about such petty amounts of money a person is getting (even though dishonestly) to feed their family or help pay their rent, is a travesty from a person like yourself. You really need a wake-up call.

I bet you smile and pat yourself and/or your buddies on the back though when they disclose to you how they were able to get over on the IRS and find tax shelters come tax time, huh? Maybe even go out for drinks to celebrate.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:47 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
dialloacedo,

I'd dare say that most African-Americans feel they are already versed enough in Trans-Atlantic Slavery, including myself. There have been plenty of movies, PBS specials, and books written about it. Consequently, there doesn't appear to be a need or real benefit on becoming a further scholar on the subject or writing a thesis on it. Yet, you say that is exactly what needs to happen to build self-esteem and a sense of self. Understandably, many Afr-Americans see it as a tragic, horrible, and negative occurrence in our history. However, you appear to have looked at/studied the same subject and found it fascinating and empowering. How did that happen? What specifics would you recommend that African-Americans study on Slavery?
I'd actually suggest decreasing the extent to which blacks portray themselves as victims or an oppressed class. Nobody is denying past atrocities and there are racists in society but I would make the case that most black people have control over their outcomes based on decisions they make.

I'd also suggest less loyalty to big government and the (D) party.

My stance is that, if we reduced the size and scope of the government, it would benefit all americans including american blacks.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How could they buy them IF THEY WERE NOT FOR SALE?

There would be no African slaves in America or an Atlantic slave trade if Africans hadn't captured and sold other Africans into slavery. The problem starts at the source.

Africans practiced slavery thousands of years before America was even colonized, and STILL practice slavery TO THIS DAY.

Missing Nigerian Girls - News & Top Stories, Boko Haram Kidnapping - NBC News
As I said before: And once again you excuse the White people who bought the slaves.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:00 PM

371 posts, read 425,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
dialloacedo,

1. Runaway slave narratives: North American Slave Narratives

2. An example of a prominent engineer (there were many, for example, einsteins team to invent the light bulb was a group of african men engineers): Black Then | Pursuit Of A Dream: How Engineer And Businessman, Benjamin Montgomery, Bought The Plantation He Was Once Enslaved On

3. Famous abolitionists (american us slaves breed some of the world's greatest resisters to oppression): Abolitionists: People

Thats a few there are millions of stories / instances like those linked above. Reading things like this, and not just the facts given to us by the texas state board, humanize slaves. Slavery isn't what people think, it was more than just labor for africans and money for europeans, more than the whip.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As I said before: And once again you excuse the White people who bought the slaves.
I already made that argument with him. Somehow it's all Africans' fault because of African slaves in the Americas. Well, white people demanded a product, and the tribal chiefs simply met that demand. There was no "if they build it, they will come" attitude, which is what he's trying to say. In the chain of custody, the last person who touched something becomes responsible for it. White people were the last to lay hands on the slaves when they reached the Americas, not the African slave traders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies