Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:06 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What "natural rights" does a man adrift in the middle of the ocean have that nature is obliged to observe?

"Rights" are a social construct, the privileges of the powerful.
Nature is not a social construct. The conditions are dictated by the natural world outside of what humans can control.

The man adrift in the middle of the ocean has every right in the world as long as he does not initiate force on another. Same as if he was in NYC.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
This is how I see being free of government. If this were the case, people would be free to act on their feelings. The truth is, the evil would do ugly things. Without laws, only the lawless would live.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 PM

96 posts, read 126,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Nature is not a social construct. The conditions are dictated by the natural world outside of what humans can control.

The man adrift in the middle of the ocean has every right in the world as long as he does not initiate force on another. Same as if he was in NYC.
I'm an adherent to Objectivism and could not agree with you more.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:42 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk
What "natural rights" does a man adrift in the middle of the ocean have that nature is obliged to observe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

Since I never said that nature was a social construct, that was a strawman argument on your part.

The concept of "rights" is only manifest in a social environment. A man adrift at sea may determine in his own mind that he has "rights," but nature will not observe them.

The idea that there is a set of "rights" in the universe existing independently of a social structure that observes them is nothing but another form of supernatural mysticism.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 05-10-2016 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 12:45 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Garveyism isn't dead it just smells bad
Garveyism more relevant today than ever - Columns - JamaicaObserver.com

Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 PM

96 posts, read 126,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk

[i]

Since I never said that nature was a social construct, that was a strawman argument on your part.

The concept of "rights" is only manifest in a social environment. A hermit may determine in his own mind that he has "rights," but nature will not observe them.

The idea that there is a set of "rights" in the universe existing independently of a social structure that observes them is nothing but another form of supernatural mysticism.
Untrue. 'Social structure' as you present it is just another form of enslavement. Darwin really WAS right. Survival of the fittest should be the only criteria for any human or animal (of any species) to be judged upon. Not pity or welfare, not 'goodwill' that makes it incumbent for someone else to pay and shoulder someone elses financial or 'social' burden.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And it was also people like Thurmond, Faubus, Maddox, and O'Connor. The people who were so against the big government were championing Jim Crow and other abuses.
If you are suggesting I am not aware that racism went well beyond Wallace, please read my comment again.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If you are suggesting I am not aware that racism went well beyond Wallace, please read my comment again.
I was adding on more, not making any kind of suggestions.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:00 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchywoman View Post
Untrue. 'Social structure' as you present it is just another form of enslavement. Darwin really WAS right. Survival of the fittest should be the only criteria for any human or animal (of any species) to be judged upon. Not pity or welfare, not 'goodwill' that makes it incumbent for someone else to pay and shoulder someone elses financial or 'social' burden.
So, then, the individual (and his gang) who gains the most physical power is the "fittest" and dictates what "rights" anyone else may have.

Notice that this, too, is a social structure.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
So, then, the individual (and his gang) who gains the most physical power is the "fittest" and dictates what "rights" anyone else may have.
Sounds pretty much the way warlords work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies