Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 05:46 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Public colleges with high quality students, yes.
In Asian and most European countries, top universities are all public ones. The US, Canada, UK etc. are the opposite.
Why? Why should the tax payer be required to pay for your public college education? You keep saying that they should, but have yet to give a reason why. What entitles you to a free education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 05:52 PM

172 posts, read 185,641 times
No. Who's paying for it. I do believe that salaries need to be kept under control.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:59 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Public colleges with high quality students, yes.
In Asian and most European countries, top universities are all public ones. The US, Canada, UK etc. are the opposite.
Asian and European universities are also VERY selective about who they let in, it isn't as if every european gets a free college education, less than 30% do. The rest go to trade schools, apprenticeships or simply find jobs to pay for the 30%. You think most Americans will support, and pay for, "free" college but only for the top 25% of students?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:07 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Why people wouldn't want all to be more educated and better citizens is beyond me. But I'd start off with free technical school some fare well in higher education but some just good with their hands . Start there. High school technical n up. Maybe if you get basics in people better off to go for higher education. Right now we have a future of indebted citizens from the start.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:09 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You're right, it could be.

But the path to making that a reality is not paved with expecting someone else to pay for your education.
Thinking that way is what keeps the prices high. Why not question why college presidents of state universities make more than the president of USA? Why are there huge tax breaks to corporations and hedge funders? We had lots of tax cuts for the wealthy under GWB and Obama while the middle class paid for wars that GWB's cronies profited from, why not repeal them? And honestly - why is it seniors who benefited from public schools, social security, medicare, local senior centers, etc so reluctant to "pay for other people?"

Old 05-11-2016, 06:10 PM

50,817 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Anytime you subsize something, you get more of it.

When universities have a guaranteed payer in Uncle Sam, there is no longer any incentive to keep costs competitive.

The same concept applies to healthcare/insurance .

When someone else is paying the bills, the cost to the end user becomes irrelevant.....until the bill comes due, with interest.
You're stating opinions, which is okay, but it's not okay that you mistake your opinions for facts.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:12 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Why people wouldn't want all to be more educated and better citizens is beyond me. But I'd start off with free technical school some fare well in higher education but some just good with their hands . Start there. High school technical n up. Maybe if you get basics in people better off to go for higher education. Right now we have a future of indebted citizens from the start.
It's not free if someone else is footing the bill.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
High quality workers benefit the whole society, not just themselves. Imagine the US has no IT industry...
So it makes sense for everyone to pay for their education a little bit, but they also need to pay a portion of it.
Nope they need to pay for their education, Gas stations benefit from me buying a car but they don't help me pay for it. The company who hires them might benefit from their education but me not so much.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:18 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're stating opinions, which is okay, but it's not okay that you mistake your opinions for facts.
If someone else is paying for your education, what reason do you have to care about how much it costs?

When the college has a guaranteed payer, what incentive do they have to keep costs down?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:26 PM

50,817 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
If someone else is paying for your education, what reason do you have to care about how much it costs?

When the college has a guaranteed payer, what incentive do they have to keep costs down?
You can make plenty of incentives to do just that. You're too into the let big business reign free concept to understand that.

I was the principal of a school. We were publicly funded. There were plenty of restrictions on how I could spend money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies