Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 07:06 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I rather pay my taxes to educate a person than for stupid walls -wars and many other stupid things we waste money on-A book comes out listing of all the crazy interests the congress is willing to fund so they can sleep with who knows who and line their own pockets -
It is time we spend on our infrastructure and our kids- --get off the pills and think ---what are you contributing to the future of this country besides negativity. --
You should be able to donate to a school/ scholarship fund of your choice. You should not be able to force your neighbor to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:07 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Exactly. but not every person enters a career occupation that requires the expense and time of going to college.

Some people will graduate high school and decide they want to go into one of the trade skill as a carpenter, mason or electrician. Is it fair for this person to pay for other people to become lawyers, or for others who waste their time earning one of the many useless degrees. Is it fair the carpenter pays for some kid to waste six years in college taking worthless courses, and still have no clue what they want to be when they grow up?
Yeah I don't get it. In my mind the government should be taken out of the equation altogether. Have colleges themselves pay for the students to attend, and while they attend they accrue debt, and upon graduation they start paying back the school. This would force colleges to start taking a more vested interest in the students and their future opportunities upon graduation.

The way the system is setup right now is flawed. The government is basically just giving these colleges free money. There is absolutely no risk involved for these colleges, they know they are getting their money whether they are producing 1,000 doctors or producing 1,000 dropouts.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm 54 and have my future set. It's funny how bent you get when you are asked to actually support the things you want while complaining about others.

Are you willing to see your taxes raised high enough to actually pay for the wars? If not, why are you better than those who would rather see this money spent on education?

My opinion on war is irrelevant.

I don't make the decision to go to war or not.
National defence is one of the few legitimate functions of the federal government and taxes collected for this purpose are perfectly constitutional.

Going to college on the other hand is completely voluntary, as should be my deciding to fund it.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You should be able to donate to a school/ scholarship fund of your choice. You should not be able to force your neighbor to do the same.

I am grateful for those that do- but the very basic grade schools and highs schools are already shambles --- want them to pay too? How much money can you take with you? thank God Bill Gates, and many other realized you can't and is donating 80% to education - SMART people.

FL did something very interesting- made a new law that allows any kid to attend any school- they want. No more area districts that divide-- so the elite, who live in the best areas, with of course the better schools, now will see the kids from all over town receiving that better education-- I think its GREAT!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
No, college shouldn't be free, but as others have said it is too damn expensive.

College loans should be limited to say $10,000, max. If universities wanted students they would have to lower tuition. With unlimited college loans available to students, universities have no incentive to lower costs.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:37 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
they need a price war--- and cut some of the party expenses-- some schools are run like fancy hotels --

Old 05-12-2016, 07:50 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
I am grateful for those that do- but the very basic grade schools and highs schools are already shambles --- want them to pay too? How much money can you take with you? thank God Bill Gates, and many other realized you can't and is donating 80% to education - SMART people.

FL did something very interesting- made a new law that allows any kid to attend any school- they want. No more area districts that divide-- so the elite, who live in the best areas, with of course the better schools, now will see the kids from all over town receiving that better education-- I think its GREAT!
Time to wake up.
Basic grade schools and high schools aren't in shambles due to lack of money (we spend more per student than any other country). They are so because they are poorly run govt institutions and throwing more money at them would be doubling down on stupid. Get the govt out.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:41 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
I rather pay my taxes to educate a person than for stupid walls -wars and many other stupid things we waste money on-A book comes out listing of all the crazy interests the congress is willing to fund so they can sleep with who knows who and line their own pockets -
It is time we spend on our infrastructure and our kids- --get off the pills and think ---what are you contributing to the future of this country besides negativity. --

You certainly are free to contribute to anyone's education, how is anyone stopping you from doing this?

However, you do not have the right to force me to do the same.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Yes. Colleges and medical. Stop sending our tax money to foreign despots. Reduce the military to defensive. Kick the losers off welfare and free housing. There wouldbe plenty for the rest.

if colleges should be free, then all professors salary should be cut in half, and they should be forced to not only teach a liberal view of thinking, but also a conservative way of thinking.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Don't forget the people like Obama or Clinton, who want it all. They favor free education, and they favor starting new wars in places like Libya, which then go on to create new wars, or exacerbates existing ones in their region.
I haven't forgot them. I've stated it before that I have no idea how they are able to sleep at night. On the other hand, if this was something Obama had wanted he would have done it as opposed to starting new wars. (not being paid for, and no one willing to actually pay for them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies