Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Nobody should vote. There's enough violence in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
yes they should vote, but then i feel it ought to be mandatory for everybody to vote, maybe have a week long 24/7 voting time, so everybody could vote. look i feek there is too many people with work shifts that just cannot get to the polls, it ought to be more easy. people get off at five, poll close at seven, hundred of people in the last two hours , so people dont vote

Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Probably because to libertarians...everyone is equal.
That's nice for Libertarians, but in reality, that is not the case in a society of hundreds of millions of individuals. I have shared before that in many areas, I feel Libertarians are naive when it comes to understanding human nature. There are always people in our society, a majority unfortunately, who hold some sort of bias against others that denies them the clarity of seeing everyone as equal.

Also, on an historical perspective, our country has a VERY heavily entrenched relationship with "race." The "race issue" has been debated, discussed, legislated upon, and judged by our lay citizens and government members for over 400 years.

The ideas associated with seeing someone of a different race from an America perspective is not going to go away overnight just because a Libertarian is elected. This reminds me of the idiocy of many people in 2008 in regards to the election of Obama who felt that since a black man was elected president that means that racism is no longer an issue in our country. It is and will be for the forseeable future. I do believe that we have and are continuing to make great strides toward a less racially biased society, but attitudes of this nature take hundreds of years to die off and not addressing race in America only serves to decrease the progress we've made in this regard IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Maybe Libertarians should address racial issues more, or at least give their take on racial issues. But since most Libertarians are white, they probably never had to. For the record, every party pretty much ignores racial issues in their platform, except democrats, who really are using racial issues for political gain. I don't think they care any more about racial issues than anybody else, but they're smart in that they pretend to care.

I don't think Libertarians are trying to fight racial issues, because racial issues is just a symptom of a large problem. The main issue is a glass ceiling that limits economic mobility for people of color. And Libertarians are trying to smash the glass ceiling. As long as the FED is around, there will always be issues especially with race. And legislation will only mask issues, but not fix anything.
On the bold, I agree with you. For whites in America, race is never an issue unless it is shown to them via media. However, if Libertarians want to represent our country, they have to realize that our country has millions of people who do not see everyone as "equal."

And FWIW, I find it interesting that the Libertarian platform actually does address some LGBTQ issues (gay marriage), but not race issues. To me, that shows they place much more of a value on acknowledging sexual orientation versus race, that it is "more important" even though most people who are LGBTQ are not known to be as such unless they share that with others. A black person or an Asian person especially walking down the street is 95% known to be black or Asian and will experience bias in relation to their appearance much moreso than someone who is LGBTQ.

In regards to other parties on race, both of our major parties have spoken on racial issues, both Dems and the GOP. Prior to this election's focus on Trump, the GOP was actually attempting to reach out more to black voters in an effort to further diversify their support based on their party's position/platform. A GOP outreach office was even opened in Detroit with media fanfare at the time a couple years ago.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 05-12-2016 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-12-2016, 08:23 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
yes they should vote, but then i feel it ought to be mandatory for everybody to vote, maybe have a week long 24/7 voting time, so everybody could vote. look i feek there is too many people with work shifts that just cannot get to the polls, it ought to be more easy. people get off at five, poll close at seven, hundred of people in the last two hours , so people dont vote
If you're in line before 7pm...the polls can close..but those in queue still are able to vote...even if they don't get in until 9pm. If you show up after 7pm (assuming that's the time polling closes), then yes - you're not allowed to vote.

I'm sure there are incidents of people not being allowed to vote, even though they were there on time...but as long as they are there by 7...they're good.

Personally, I think the general election voting day should either be a national holiday - or moved to a Saturday or Sunday. But either way - people would still complain..since there are places of employment that don't close for federal holidays and/or are open on the weekends.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the question. But if I were to guess, you seem to take the position that you agree with the Libertarian economic platform, but that it helps everyone, not just black people? But I would ask, why does it even matter? As long as it also helps black people, then that's all that should matter. Now you can assume there will be "gaps", but I don't think so. If the glass ceilings were removed, blacks can close the gaps if the will is there.
The libertarian economic platform would result in an economic depression, initially. Why? The reason being is that it is debt averse and it, via Peter schiff, promotes an economic CORRECTION. In other words, Libertarians see debt as a drug, like heroin, that the economy is addicted to and is at risk of overdosing from. I agree with that totally. However, take away the drugs from any addict and they will go through withdrawal pains. Withdrawal pains from deleveraging from our debt would be a massive economic depression, must worse than the recession circa 2008. Assuming that our economy could recover from this, it would put the nation at a more SOUND long term economic position, one with a much lower standard of living for all. Thus, I feel that our economy is in for an overdose crash, one that we cannot recover from, or we have a managed descent, with a depression, to a lower standard of living. In either case, black people will be worse off, as will the average American. Democrats and Republicans truly do not want to deal with the debt because deleveraging will cause economic problems that will get incumbents voted out of office. The Republicans only pretend to be concerned and willing to do something about it when the Democrats are in office, but note how the debt has expanded under the last Republicans too. It's political suicide to try to bring the economy into equilibrium between what we produce and what we consume. Today we consume far more than we produce....and debt allows this.

That said, to get rid of the issues of race.....you have to get rid of the economic gaps between the races, whether that is during a rising tide or falling tide. Everything is relative.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Sorry, I like direct terms, excuse me for not being so poetic. What Libertarians does is not give people the ability to use the government to protect them. The problem is that no one can really subjugate you without using government force to do it. Ideally you should be able to prevent this yourself. And I think this is accurate. If you look at history, even things like the KKK, it is all government backed and funded. People with gripes about black people individually were never dangerous, as black people could easily defend themselves against individuals. But when the government endorses this behavior it put blacks at a disadvantage.

In a Libertarian society such groups cannot exist, because the government would never protect these type of groups.
That is silly and, I'm sorry, ignorant.

The KKK did not have and did not particularly need government support beyond benign neglect (which is the same effect as "no government"). When violent racists decided to attack that Freedom Rider bus, all they needed from the local police was "we'll give you fifteen minutes to do whatever you want"--which they got. The same thing as "no government."

In the US, white society has always had an overwhelming demographic advantage. When power-seeking demagogues are able to form an "us against them" argument, demographics matter, and power-seeking demagogues will always select the particular characteristic to form their "us against them" argument based on the demographics that favor them.

In the US, skin color has been the most consistently effective characteristic of division, but it's not always been skin color everywhere. Power-seeking demagogues have many options.

This is something Libertarians maintain a deliberate invincible ignorance about.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
If you're in line before 7pm...the polls can close..but those in queue still are able to vote...even if they don't get in until 9pm. If you show up after 7pm (assuming that's the time polling closes), then yes - you're not allowed to vote.

I'm sure there are incidents of people not being allowed to vote, even though they were there on time...but as long as they are there by 7...they're good.

Personally, I think the general election voting day should either be a national holiday - or moved to a Saturday or Sunday. But either way - people would still complain..since there are places of employment that don't close for federal holidays and/or are open on the weekends.
My first vote was cast the year that the vote was extended to 18-year-olds. I was in college at the time, and the local officials had not calculated the impact of everyone in the university suddenly becoming voters. IOW, there weren't enough polling places.

So I was still in line at midnight. And, yes, I still got in to vote.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:44 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That is silly and, I'm sorry, ignorant.

The KKK did not have and did not particularly need government support beyond benign neglect (which is the same effect as "no government").
Wrong, KKK membership were politicians and local police. Many of them were in Senate and in Congress. They most certainly had a political advantage, and had the government looking out for them. This is why they got away with it for so long, and could amass so many numbers and arm themselves.

Quote:
When violent racists decided to attack that Freedom Rider bus, all they needed from the local police was "we'll give you fifteen minutes to do whatever you want"--which they got. The same thing as "no government."

How is it no government when they used police? Did you just contradict yourself in your own comment

Quote:
In the US, white society has always had an overwhelming demographic advantage. When power-seeking demagogues are able to form an "us against them" argument, demographics matter, and power-seeking demagogues will always select the particular characteristic to form their "us against them" argument based on the demographics that favor them.

White society is protected. And that is the thing, what the hell are you proposing. It is pretty obvious protectionist. Yet you're anti-free market. Yet without a protectionist economy, you can't get people who do the very same thing you're against. It seems like the market punishes people who would otherwise be protected.

So I've come to the conclusion is that you don't really have anything against protectionist economics. Rather you have a problem with who is protected. And many contemporary black thinkers have nothing against big government. The just want preference in the eyes of big government. This is why there is always "well what is the govenrment doing specifically for us". Black people just want to be a protected class, they just want the tables turned.

Quote:
In the US, skin color has been the most consistently effective characteristic of division, but it's not always been skin color everywhere. Power-seeking demagogues have many options.

This is something Libertarians maintain a deliberate invincible ignorance about.
They have options if the economic model allows it. But there are economic models that gives them no options to do so. And that is what you seem to avoid arguing.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:03 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The libertarian economic platform would result in an economic depression, initially. Why? The reason being is that it is debt averse and it, via Peter schiff, promotes an economic CORRECTION. In other words, Libertarians see debt as a drug, like heroin, that the economy is addicted to and is at risk of overdosing from. I agree with that totally. However, take away the drugs from any addict and they will go through withdrawal pains. Withdrawal pains from deleveraging from our debt would be a massive economic depression, must worse than the recession circa 2008. Assuming that our economy could recover from this, it would put the nation at a more SOUND long term economic position, one with a much lower standard of living for all. Thus, I feel that our economy is in for an overdose crash, one that we cannot recover from, or we have a managed descent, with a depression, to a lower standard of living. In either case, black people will be worse off, as will the average American. Democrats and Republicans truly do not want to deal with the debt because deleveraging will cause economic problems that will get incumbents voted out of office. The Republicans only pretend to be concerned and willing to do something about it when the Democrats are in office, but note how the debt has expanded under the last Republicans too. It's political suicide to try to bring the economy into equilibrium between what we produce and what we consume. Today we consume far more than we produce....and debt allows this.

That said, to get rid of the issues of race.....you have to get rid of the economic gaps between the races, whether that is during a rising tide or falling tide. Everything is relative.

I do think economic collapse is inevitable because of the FED. Now the FED will die, even if it has to take the entire economy down with it. It's days are numbered Now because of the rising inflation, and the devaluing of the US dollar, yes there will be collateral damage. Me personally, I think there is nothing we can do about it. The machine is moving along, and people are too far entrenched into the debt plantation. And for every 1 or 2 people who speaks about the reality of the FED scam, you're going to have 100 people to sit back and protect it. The only thing you can really do is prepare yourself by investing in other forms of currency, and holding your money there. Remember what Mike Malloy says "behind every disaster is an opportunity". And that's true.

I advocate Libertarianism for black people, not because it's full of social justice warriors. But because the level of fiscal responsibility and honesty that the party promotes. It is deeply into finances, economic theory in ways the 2 main parties are not. And I think that is lacking in black community, a thorough understanding of economics. The 2 parties are blatantly trying to misinform you about how economics work. you look at the news, and people keep arguing about whose economic lying is better. So Libertarianism would inspire black people to think a little more deeply about economic theory, and learn how to make it work for us.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,727 times
Quote:
I advocate Libertarianism for black people, not because it's full of social justice warriors. But because the level of fiscal responsibility and honesty that the party promotes. It is deeply into finances, economic theory in ways the 2 main parties are not. And I think that is lacking in black community, a thorough understanding of economics. The 2 parties are blatantly trying to misinform you about how economics work. you look at the news, and people keep arguing about whose economic lying is better. So Libertarianism would inspire black people to think a little more deeply about economic theory, and learn how to make it work for us.
/mic drop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies