Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

From the video I saw, once, it appears as though at least one cop should be charged with assault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:15 AM

858 posts, read 707,494 times
Absolutely it is excessive force. I would want at least one of the officer immediately fired. Yes, i'm sure tensions were high and the blood was flowing but all that shows to me is that at least one of those officers cannot hold themselves together in a crisis. That is not what we want in our officers. Criminals are criminals for a reason and they do certain things. We expect the police officers to be better than that and not stoop to the criminal's level. If they do, then they are no different.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Absolutely it is excessive force. I would want at least one of the officer immediately fired. Yes, i'm sure tensions were high and the blood was flowing but all that shows to me is that at least one of those officers cannot hold themselves together in a crisis. That is not what we want in our officers. Criminals are criminals for a reason and they do certain things. We expect the police officers to be better than that and not stoop to the criminal's level. If they do, then they are no different.
I think the more simple answer is that police are not above the law. They should be just as accountable as every other citizen, no less and no more.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:55 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The cops were pumped and pissed after the chase. Can't blame them for that. But when the guy was lying on the ground and offering no resistance there was no need to use physical force. Cuff him and stuff him and the job is done. They should have stayed under control. That's what professionals do.
Ah, yes, actually we can. Their job is to just do their job. Being pumped and pissed is not in the job description.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:00 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I'm holding final opinion... I elected to not listen to any audio and only watch the incident visually... I couldn't see it that well...but at first blush it didn't appear to be some overwhelming unnecessary use of force... People are saying he was already handcuffed.. I didn't see that ..it may have occurred but I can't tell... Peopke also say he was surrendering... I didn't see that either...

Use of force is brutal by its very nature... Life doesn't go well for crooks who don't surrender in the classical sense. I didn't see any of that
So you're telling us that 6 police officers and a police dog couldn't subdue a perp who was already laying on the ground without beating him up.

It's called being a bully...or in this case bullies.

Arrest him.
Charge him.
Try him.
Convict.
That what the criminal justice system is supposed to be about.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
As a general rule, when a cop is punching a man repeatedly who has already been pinned to the ground, that's excessive force. I'd actually apply that to everyone; not just cops.
People forget that punches to the head and torso are lethal force in continuum of force. (Have not seen the video, so don't know if that is where they struck him). An officer should be using several other options including less-lethal weapons before they strike someone.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Ah, yes, actually we can. Their job is to just do their job. Being pumped and pissed is not in the job description.
If you had read past the first two sentences of my post you'd have gotten to the part where I said there was no need for the use of physical force and the cops should have stayed under control.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:20 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Mass. State Police to review level of force during arrest after chase | FOX25

the guy was surrendering and laying on the ground, watch what happens next.
yes, who ever were the two that were beating him should be fired, they give cops a bad name....

He was not resisting arrest.....

Old 05-12-2016, 12:25 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
I love the part where the guy says 'this will have to be investigated'.

Really, guy? You saw the video, what is there to be investigated? Did the cops already lie, not knowing there was a vid?

Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,184 times
Definitely use of excessive force.

We have a legal system in place for when people break the law. Last time I checked, police beatings aren't part of it and it looks like some cops still haven't got the message.

Arrest the guy, put in your 20 and enjoy living off the taxpayers for the rest of your life. No need for nonsense like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies