Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:28 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
Its foundation is and was founded on christian principles...
Obama wants to change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 12:46 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post

When did Christians become so small and petty? When did the religion that started with 2 commandments, Love God, Love your Neighbor turn into a religion of a bunch of hypocritical judgmental asshats?

People who profess to be Christians ask what Jesus would do, then do the exact opposite. You say this country was founded on Christian principles? Well, where in the does Jesus say to blame the poor for being poor? Where in the Bible did Jesus turn people away because they didn't have the money to pay for food? When did he refuse to heal someone because they didn't have the money to pay? When did Christians who profess to love Jesus begin to know the price of everything and the value of nothing? Jesus didn't build walls. And He didn't make believing in God an exclusive club.

So, please save your platitudes and quotes. This country is protected by the 1st amendment written BY THE FOUNDING FATHERS from becoming a theocracy. That's the principle it was founded on.
Excellent post.

To the answer that bolded question...for me, Christians become small and petty when they stand on a soapbox and tell people how wonderful they are, as opposed to just demonstrating through actions that they are good people.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:49 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Jefferson's Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, otherwise known as the Jefferson Bible, does exist, and it regularly makes the rounds of museums, as do the letters he wrote to his friend and fellow U.S. President John Adams about the project. How are you not aware of this?
I didn't say it didn't exist, I said, "he didn't cut out pages of what God would say or did, this is were it became his own thinking. Matter of fact, Jefferson left out the miracles of Jesus, this was for his own use, not something he was pushing onto others as fact.

He seemed to have done it more for his own understanding of Jesus.......except he may still not have understood the difference in believing in God and Jesus.

I do believe a smart man can run a country and keep his belief in God separately just as the founding fathers intended. Jefferson never speaks about the resurrection, possibly he was Godly, but not a Christian.

Godly does not equal Christian.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:55 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do you even understand it wasn't a whole lot of Americans owning slaves and it wasn't a whole lot of Americans running NA off their lands?

Your figure of 100 million NA die at the hands of whites........seems to only be opinions and not based on facts of history.......so where are you coming up with this?

Do you actually believe NA were peaceful and never raided, raped or killed white people?

I was watching a show yesterday explaining how the founding fathers were not religious, were slave owners and a bunch of other nonsense.........what got my attention not one person gave History facts, all was hearsay or opinions, not one person was used as the person they could point to for facts........is this really how you people get history?

My conclusion our founding fathers were believers in God and the left hates for anyone to know this........Jefferson never cut out pages from the Bible and placed what he felt God should say......all of that is plain hogwash!
1. If you accept a certain type of negative behavior, when you could at least speak out against it, you are nearly as bad as those actually doing the negative behavior. The American government ran native Americans off their land on behalf of the American people. Slavery in Americans benefited many, if not most Americans.

2. Okay, you don't like the 100 million figure. I'm not wedded to it. Instead of giving you a number killed, we'll give a percentage, which is widely estimated at 80-90%. Does that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

3. Did I ever say that American Indians at the time were "peaceful and never raided, raped or killed white people"? SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT. SHOW ME. But then again, Whites were the invaders on the continent.

4. Show me, also, where I said that: "Jefferson .. cut out pages from the Bible and placed what he felt God should say". Although he did write the tiny Jefferson Bible. Try reading it.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I think Christians (the loud obnoxious ones on the right) want to ban non-christians.

Like a christian version of Saudi Arabia.
My guess is that if you took the same number of hard core Christians and hard core atheists and asked who to ban, you'd end up with a greater number of atheists wanting to ban Christians.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:00 PM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
There are numerous Christian denominations in the United States. However. America is not and never was a Christian theocracy.
Christian Nation does not equal Christian Theocracy.

America was founded on principles underpinned by Christianity, but Christianity was not forced upon anyone. Did you know that in 1777 the Continental Congress ordered 20,000 Bibles to be sent into the various colonies.

America only exists because of the Christians who founded it. Go read the Mayflower Compact and writings of the Founding Fathers. Over and over again, the need for America's Christian underpinnings to remain is stressed.

In one of Benjamin Franklin's (supposedly a Deist) famous speeches (the Continental Congress was at a standstill) the need to pray to God was affirmed.

When Absolutes are removed, chaos will eventually reign, absolutely.

cd :O)

Old 05-16-2016, 01:08 PM

1,504 posts, read 851,404 times
No - Christianity in its pure form actually never fully reached humanity. If America was a Christian nation they would have forgiven the attackers after 9 11 - Instead they got even more base. They retaliated against Iraq - when those in the know - knew that the Saudi Arabians were to blame. Christianity is the adherence to reality- The idea that chasing evil around and fixating on it also destroys all the goodness....Christianity is a higher state of mind- NOT a religion.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:00 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If America is a Christian nation (or once was), is it a Catholic nation or a Protestant nation? If Protestant, is it an Episcopal or a Baptist nation? Christianity looks very different depending on your denomination.

The battle over America's religious heritage usually has atheism and non-Christian religions front and center, but if America was to heed Franklin Graham, Ted Cruz, and many in the GOP's advice and become a Christian nation, most of the people offended would be Christians whose beliefs different from the denominational theology chosen by the government. This is why separation of church and state benefits everyone, even Christians.

Those who want to see America become a Christian nation are usually Southern Baptist or members of some other fundamentalist denomination. What makes them think a "Christian America" would be based on the Baptist approach to the Bible and morality when "born-agains" account for less than 30% of Americans who consider themselves Christians? I have a feeling people like Franklin Graham and Ted Cruz would backpedal fast if the government embraced the type of Christianity that a majority of American Christians embrace.

Thoughts?
This nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. Our founders did not embrace a "type of Christianity," rather they embraced the basic foundational principles of both the Judaic and Christian faiths. They held these principles as fundamental to the birth and sustainability of the Representative Republic which they fought for and created through the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

The fact that the first Amendment in the BILL OF RIGHTS set out our right of religious freedom: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercisethereof..." Is a CLEAR indication that the founders of this nation intended it to remain free to practice any religious faith without interference of the Government and without the edict as to what religion was favored by the Government.

We have always been a nation FOUNDED on Judeo-Christian values, but we have never been a "Christian Nation." The vast majority of the population has always practice Christianity of all varieties and denominations, but all other world religions have also been practiced openly and supposedly freely as well.

The progressive movement to secularize the nation solely on the basis of a letter from Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Association has (IMO) resulted in more damage to our Constitutional rights than any other aspect of society.

I am not Christian, but I have no issue with our nation's founding or the fact that America's remains predominately Christians, regardless of the denomination. How many atheists or secular humanists put their lives and their families' lives in danger to rescue and hide Jews from the Nazis? How many Christians were willing to make sacrifices to same Jews? Why were Christians willing and not others?

Sorry kids, I will take living in a nation that is populated by a majority of Christians any day of the week (other than living in Israel).

Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Did you forget about slavery, 3/5 of a person, etc?
If you were educated on the Constitution, you would understand that the Founders would not have been able to UNITE the colonies without compromise on slavery. They wished to abolish it from the start, but that was not possible at that time. The owners of slaves sought to use their slaves in the census count.

The founders understood that by allowing the southern slave owners to include their slaves in the census, it would result in more representation for pro-slavery states, than those who were against slavery. The founders understood that slaveholders could not argue that their slaves were their property one day and then turn around and claim that each slave represented one person for purposes of representation in Congress, so they had to reach a compromise to ensure that slavery would end. The solution was to count each slave as 3/5th's "a person" for the purpose of the census. THE FOUNDERS NEVER VIEWED slaves as less than a whole person! This was done as a means of giving EQUAL VOICE TO ANTI-SLAVERY states.

The lack of understanding of history is why America is in free fall.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Who made this law? I think you should look up why this law was REALLY made........was not to make blacks 3/5's of a person........you are only making yourself look uneducated.

Are you suggesting ALL white people owned slaves and others did not?

Did you forget women couldn't vote either? Or are you being selective?
The first officially determined slave owner in the United States was in fact a black man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies