Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
Facts are not on Sander's side. His estimates for his Medicare for all plan will cost twice what he claims, after it has been inspected by at least two separate economist think tanks.

And he wants to give free college to everyone -- but his wife was the president of Burlington College in VT and financially tanked it. She stepped down a few years ago, taking a $200,000 severance package, and the college is now closing.

Bernie simply doesn't understand money, but promises stuff to people who don't realize their taxes are going to skyrocket to pay for Bernie's plans. His support is based entirely on emotion and empty, unrealistic promises that only naive college kids can possibly fall for.

Everyone needs to make more these days, since government encourages manipulation of the monetary system so they gain more revenue from the hidden tax on the ignorant little people.

But with government with there hand out everywhere who has the money left over to pay more... ONLY THE RICH AND WEALTHY. Who is going to pay you more... for less? There comes a line in the sand and if crossed, it does the opposite and worse than what was intended in that intellectual idea, that sounded good on paper.

It creates a 2 class society. More people are unemployed, than employed at that point.

Teach a man to fish v. give a man a fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That is not my experience with both a middle schooler and high schooler currently enrolled in public school civics/government courses. The eighth grader spent a good portion of last semester following the primary candidates and did a presentation on Chris Christie (before he dropped out of the race). My high schooler's entire semester has revolved around the candidates, their platforms, and the election process. She will miss being able to vote by only one month, which upsets her to no end, because she REALLY wants to vote this time around. Between the two of them and our college student, who occasionally comes home for the weekend, it's been non-stop election politics around the dinner table for months inspired in no small part because of what they're learning in school.

The capstone project for our eighth grade social studies (civics) students is to present and defend a twenty-eighth amendment in front of parents who volunteer to pose as Sentate Sub-Committee members. It's an all-day event, and the public is invited. My husband have attended every year our children have participated. What the kids do is amazing, and there's no way they come out of it without a firm understanding of the legislative process, which is the whole point, so I really don't have any idea where you get this idea that our kids are no longer allowed to discuss politics in school. Where are you hearing this?
So glad to hear of your school.

Dinner time was when my family discussed what happened at school that day. Usually, if faculty expressed an opinion that we had a problem with, the result was a terrific discussion. Also, when the kids were trapped in the car and had to listen to me rant.

There is a time and place for it.

It is a parents job to teach their kid how to listen, have respect for people who express their opinion. Does not mean we all need to agree.

Read a study once that indicated one's world view and persuasion were formed at 12 years old.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
So glad to hear of your school.

Dinner time was when my family discussed what happened at school that day. Usually, if faculty expressed an opinion that we had a problem with, the result was a terrific discussion. Also, when the kids were trapped in the car and had to listen to me rant.

There is a time and place for it.

It is a parents job to teach their kid how to listen, have respect for people who express their opinion. Does not mean we all need to agree.

Read a study once that indicated one's world view and persuasion were formed at 12 years old.
I'm stunned to read that this might not be happening in other schools. Nothing in the Common Core Social Studies Standards precludes students learning about the political process and discussing candidates & their platforms during election years. Therefore, I'm left wondering if this really is the case or just hearsay based widespread fear and/or anger over the initiative.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
teachers should not be allowed to show any political leanings; never;never;never, but to keep kids from discussing their views and ideas is going too far. We encourage them to take an interest and then we say, but don't let your interest show!!!!! When we were in school we talked about elections, but I never remember a teacher letting their views be too well known or trying to influence us. We did have a 5th grade teacher who encouraged us to go to the polls with our parents and learn what it was like to actually vote. I think this was an excellent idea.

We did discuss current events everyday. In fact many teachers, from elementary upward required us all to bring in an article from the newspaper either daily or once a week. Because of this, we are still avid newspaper readers as are all 3 of our kids.
I work as a substitute teacher on occasion, and I've had students ask me my political leanings before. Usually they are high school students that know me well, and are generally curious about what I think because they're interested in politics. I don't discuss it with them out of wanting to respect their opinions, but I'm fairly certain that kids know that I'm a person with opinions, and find this to be a cop out. Same thing with religion, even though a few kids have seen me at church before. I wonder what the proper line is between discussion and indoctrination. For example, I wouldn't say that simply having liberal opinions is indoctrination (i.e. announcing "I'm a Democrat." That's just information. But sadly, some people interpret it that way.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:50 AM

58 posts, read 45,661 times
When I was in elementary school, the entire school had a mock presidential election about a month before the actual election. It wasn't too involved, but it was a lot of fun.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:29 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I heard something that made me say whaaaaaa?? Kids are not allowed to talk politics in schools. No talk about elections. Not seniors who will hit the voting world at 18? Any teacher or anyone in the know who can verify the policy on political talk in public schools?
It depends on how they are defining "politics".

Aside from teaching about history and the nuts and bolts of the political process, schools, including colleges, should be 100% apolitical to avoid indoctrination towards the left or the right.

The only exception would be privately funded schools.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:11 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
I just moved to Nevada. I had never heard of a caucus. 08 was the first election I was old enough to vote in (My vote didn't go to Obama or Mccain because both suck) Anyway, I was in a primary state. When I got here I assumed it was the same.
I had to do my own research to figure out what the hell a caucus was. I took a poly sci class in high school they never mentioned caucus or primary. That's all sorts of wrong. It's appalling how little these classes actually teach about politics.
Outside of the political science class there was nothing about elections other than a brief mention of how George Washington became president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies