Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:18 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,029,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
That is absolutely true and is part of the equation. But some of what's happening is due to a changeover in the economic model in the US. We are losing some middle class jobs, but there are thousands of jobs open and companies can't find properly trained workers to fill them. it's about demographics, it's about expectations, it's about how nearly every ceo will tell you their job is to 'return value to the shareholder'. Companies used to take care of their customers and the shareholders were happy because of the results it had on the bottom line.
it's humans as disposable objects jammed on a spreadsheet like a chair or a box of paper. It's about screwing people over and getting away with saying, well that's just business.

I will not disagree with most of that statement. However; I don't like the statement about how companies cannot find workers. I work for one large pharmaceutical company. I have been a temporary worker for eight years - I am really not complaining since I do make good money and I am retired once. However; I am busy training more immigrants than I am natives. They are usually the ones that get the permanent positions. I know that most deserve the jobs; they have good work ethics, they work hard, they are on time, and (more importantly) they like their jobs. However; I don't think we go that extra mile to recruit US citizens. They are the people that are buying our products; so why not try harder to give them a chance for the job - so they could afford to buy the products?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 10:23 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,765,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I will not disagree with most of that statement. However; I don't like the statement about how companies cannot find workers. I work for one large pharmaceutical company. I have been a temporary worker for eight years - I am really not complaining since I do make good money and I am retired once. However; I am busy training more immigrants than I am natives. They are usually the ones that get the permanent positions. I know that most deserve the jobs; they have good work ethics, they work hard, they are on time, and (more importantly) they like their jobs. However; I don't think we go that extra mile to recruit US citizens. They are the people that are buying our products; so why not try harder to give them a chance for the job - so they could afford to buy the products?
I agree. From what I understand from some of my clients though is that companies must show that they have tried to recruit American workers before they can apply to hire visa holders. Is that not true for pharma? Or do they get around it by being a multi national company based overseas and not required to do that?

Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,029,135 times
Quote:
I agree. From what I understand from some of my clients though is that companies must show that they have tried to recruit American workers before they can apply to hire visa holders. Is that not true for pharma? Or do they get around it by being a multi national company based overseas and not required to do that?

I really don't know? It just seems that way to me; but it could be coincidental. I have seen the articles about the $3,000 incentive to hire illegals - but I am not talking about illegals in this case. As far as I know all of our immigrants are legal. Two of the people that I recently trained just received their US citizenship and it was a lengthy/expensive process. It is a multi national corporation that I work for.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:10 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,440,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
And no response on my Economic growth of 2% post. No country will survive on 2% growth per year. Get out of your little bubble.
That right? "No country will survive on 2% growth per year"? Really?

The US has outperformed Germany, the "healthy man" in Europe 2011-2014. Mature economies in the world grew at an average of 1.4% 2011-2014; US grew at 2.0%.

Last I looked, Germany is surviving, France is surviving, EU as a whole is surviving, and the US beat all of them.

Now, you certainly are entitled to your opinion, but not to your own facts. Get out of your little bubble.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:20 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,263,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
That right? "No country will survive on 2% growth per year"? Really?

The US has outperformed Germany, the "healthy man" in Europe 2011-2014. Mature economies in the world grew at an average of 1.4% 2011-2014; US grew at 2.0%.

Last I looked, Germany is surviving, France is surviving, EU as a whole is surviving, and the US beat all of them.

Now, you certainly are entitled to your opinion, but not to your own facts. Get out of your little bubble.
Ok the fact you are quoting Germany and France as success stories nowadays makes me laugh. Europe is a disaster right now. I have family living in Germany and their open refugee policies are killing that country. It's an abosolute mess, so bad that they want to relocate.

And if you think 2% growth rate for the economy is a success then you've got low standards.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,156,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
The 10 cents in your bank account does not qualify as a "trust fund"
Uh huh. That "ten cents" seems to cover the cost of owning and operating my own PA-31T.

Dream on.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,440,859 times
Quote:
Ok the fact you are quoting Germany and France as success stories nowadays makes me laugh. Europe is a disaster right now. I have family living in Germany and their open refugee policies are killing that country. It's an abosolute mess, so bad that they want to relocate.
I made no claim that Germany or France are "success stories," as that would be subjective. I deal in facts, not assumptions, and the fact is Germany is a highly successful mature economy, the strongest in Europe, and fourth largest in the world.

This discussion isn't about refugees, it is about your assertion that "no country can survive on 2% growth," and I have clearly proven your claim utterly false, and have done so with facts and cites, of which you have provided none. So, you are wrong again.

Taking into account the refugee crisis in Germany, that started in 2015, last year, and guess what? The rate of growth of approx. 2% is not a new trend, that is the average growth rate for Germany over the past twelve years, so so much for blaming the Syrians.

Quote:
if you think 2% growth rate for the economy is a success then you've got low standards.
Again, I never said that, nor inferred it.

What I did do is present the figures and facts and let them speak for themselves. I provided the average growth rate of mature economies, which in case you are unfamiliar with the term, a mature (or developed) economy is one in which the population is stable, or in some cases declining, and in which there is "a reduced pressure to create new jobs since the workforce is not increasing." Among these nations are Australia, Norway, Canada, US, UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Singapore, Finland, Japan, etc. Guess what? The US economy is and has been beating their aggregate growth rate for at least six years.

Mature economies do not, on the longer arc, grow 4, 5, 6, 10%, as developing nations do. The provide a safe [place to invest and to live, and they are where people want to live. These are facts, YOUR ASSERTIONS ARE NOT.

Uh, now, here's a quiz: Who has been president the past six years, hmmmm?

Old 05-14-2016, 10:55 PM

788 posts, read 508,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Just because YOU aren't doing well doesn't mean nobody is. If you weren't smart enough to prosper during the last 8 years it's your own fault. Stop trying to bring others down to your level.
What tripe from the mouth of nobody. I'm doing fine, great job, great business, but when I drive to my warehouse, where my business resides, I can't help but noticing all the vacant offices, warehouses and retail spaces. When I drive to my day-job (6 figures), I notice the same thing.

You are trying to put lipstick on a pig and doing a horrible job off it, and making a fool (and a tool) of yourself along the way.

Obama has been a disaster, pure and simple. We all know it - you lack the courage and honesty to admit it.

Dismissed.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not sorry, my revenue has grown every year for the last 6. The digital business I handle goes up double digits every year. This year is no different. We are actually starting to get inquiries about recruitment advertising. We've been over and over about workforce participation. Go look up those threads. As for commercial real estate, the vacancies are driven by the larger stores, like Sears going belly up. That's Amazon, not the economy.
Obamazon.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Obama by FAR the WORST SCUMBAG president EVER
I admire your kindness. Actually, he is much worse than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies