Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 01:32 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Nobody should force others to do so. However I think hijab should be discouraged, and burqa should be banned.
As should be the case in any free country, like the US-- Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 01:38 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
What you just covered was a state law , and not an local law. Local laws control the legality of Public
Nudity in the state of California also.
Good job trying to move the goal post, state laws over rule local laws. I don't know where you specifically live, so I can't tell you what local laws are, though I bet they would be in line with state laws when it comes to nudity.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:49 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Good job trying to move the goal post, state laws over rule local laws. I don't know where you specifically live, so I can't tell you what local laws are, though I bet they would be in line with state laws when it comes to nudity.

And if you walk outside on a beautiful summer day totally Nude you would have to find yourself a good attorney to represent yourself in your upcoming court date.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
And if you walk outside on a beautiful summer day totally Nude you would have to find yourself a good attorney to represent yourself in your upcoming court date.
Not really, where I live there are no laws against Nudity. In Portland they do have laws against it to some degree, but then we have an annual naked bike ride where plenty of people go nude and not a single person gets arrested for it.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:13 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
I was at a girl's school soccer game and their were lots of muslims on the opposite team as they went to some sort of private school. It was really hot since we lived in Houston, at water break time most of them took of their hijabs. If they were so oppressed why take of their hijabs even though it is bordering 90 degrees. Maybe because they aren't oppressed... I know muslims without hijabs who are super conservative and I know girls who wear hijabs who are very suggestive in the way they dress and talk about explicit stuff all the time.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:51 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
Only on Southwest.... This is what can happen...
"You are free to move about the country"*

*as long as you take off that hijab.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:07 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Why does it matter if other women cover their faces or not? Next you will be wanting to ban hats or something stupid like that. Last time I checked, this country was a place where women were free to cover their faces if they want to.

As for your fictional children, you simply tell them that there are lots of different religions and each religion does things differently.

Who cares if the Muslim population rises fast in this country, Christians will still outnumber them for a very long time in the US. Heck, Atheists and Agnostics are rising numbers too which apparently is also a threat to Christians....go figure.

Mohammad is the most popular baby name in France? Well that is just false, it is Armand.

2015 Top French Baby Names | 24/7 Mom

What should newcomers blend in to? There are thousands upon thousands of different cultures in this country, and the beauty of this country is we are all free to practice our own culture that best suits us. Not everyone needs to buy a house in the suburbs, have three cars, eat fast food, drink buckets of soda, and watch Nascar while praying to Jesus that their football team wins the Super Bowl this year.
It was not addressed to me but I can answer that.

Because it is unfair to woman and a public form of discrimination as well as sending a message that men cannot be accountable for their own behavior. Do you think it is by chance that men wear white in the Middle Eastern sun and women are (traditionally) taught to wear black ?

There are a 100 other good reasons why not but as mainly - as yueng-ling states - it is not our culture. If they want to wear a Hijab fine but no burka or veil should be tolerated, especially in schools.

At this point I would point out that most Muslims get this and do not force such behaviors on their females family members in the US.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:14 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
On the other hand, I don't understand why these women would opt to put on this crazy stuff when they can easily say no.
Bad hair day.

I've also heard its a manner of dress that makes men look a woman in the eyes and not at her boobies. Some men just don't like having to look a woman in the eyes. Unsettling isn't it?

My daughter said if she wore what they do she wouldn't have to hit dopes up side the head to get them to concentrate on what she's saying.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
The interesting thing is that there are Christian traditions right here in the United States where women also wear clothing that obscures their bust lines. Google plain dress in the Quaker/Amish/Mennonite tradition. These women also wear head coverings as a sign of male headship within their faith tradition. Yet I'm certain any of the gentlemen (and I use the term loosely) would dare rip the prayer caps & bonnets from their heads, just as they would not dare to touch a nun's white coif. Let's not mince words here. It's not about protecting women's rights. It's about Islam. The ironic part is that the removal of of the passenger's hijab without the wearer's permission was a man deciding what's appropriate dress for a woman, which is exactly what the men who have defended this behavior accuse Muslim men of doing.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It was not addressed to me but I can answer that.

Because it is unfair to woman and a public form of discrimination as well as sending a message that men cannot be accountable for their own behavior. Do you think it is by chance that men wear white in the Middle Eastern sun and women are (traditionally) taught to wear black ?

There are a 100 other good reasons why not but as mainly - as yueng-ling states - it is not our culture. If they want to wear a Hijab fine but no burka or veil should be tolerated, especially in schools.

At this point I would point out that most Muslims get this and do not force such behaviors on their females family members in the US.
There is no such thing of a singular US culture, we are made up of lots of different cultures and it isn't anyone's place to tell others how they should live their culture.

It isn't our place to tell others what they can and cannot wear because that goes against what this country is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies