Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,632,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Simple question..Do you dislike being around cigarette smokers, or people who drink? Which type is more polite or considerate around people who dont smoke/drink?
People who make other people's business theirs, irritate me more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,267,027 times
I don't associate with people who do either.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM

38,967 posts, read 27,347,154 times
They don't bother me.

Do they force me to drink or smoke with them? No, they don't.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:25 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,552,077 times
I cannot be around tobacco smoke for more then a few minutes because it makes me nauseous to near vomiting. It is effectively an allergic reaction.

I am not all that bothered by alcohol users but become concerned around alcohol abusers. The latter can become obnoxious or violent or obnoxiously violent. I do not want to be around either.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,531,814 times
both are vile and thankfully I don't ever find myself around either.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:32 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,594,731 times
All of the smokers who I know are considerate and don't smoke around the non-smokers, they go off to have a cigarette. I don't love the smell but really, it's a non issue and has zero effect on our relationships. I have had problems with heavy drinkers as they tend to not remember conversations or events clearly and over time it can skew reality as well as the relationship. I also know quite a few heavy drinkers who talk about how boring non-drinkers or light drinkers are. These people are not exactly interesting or fun when they get drunk.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM

I don't know the purpose of this thread, and I don't mean to criticize or argue with op. Obviously, op has a personal purpose to start this thread.

However, I wonder if the type of Holier-than-thou attitude is really necessary.

I know many people who "dip". I don't think I should be the one who judge their behavior. As long as I don't dip, what is the problem?

Plus, You (well, most of you) are not a delicate little flower, occasional second hand smoke, or being around intoxicated people who don't drive won't kill you. Relax. lol

Many posters have the right attitude, they don't like the smell, but it is non issue. I think it is great.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:39 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,267,027 times
I don't associate with people who dip either. It's just not my social group, and neither is it one I would ever actively seek out because I need to "relax."

Old 05-16-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't associate with people who dip either. It's just not my social group, and neither is it one I would ever actively seek out because I need to "relax."
lol

Old 05-16-2016, 10:45 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,684,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Simple question..Do you dislike being around cigarette smokers, or people who drink? Which type is more polite or considerate around people who don't smoke/drink?
I guess this is right up my alley since I never drink, smoke or do any sort of illicit drugs.

Being around smokers is like being around somebody with nasty old-man farts all day. There's really not much they can do about it either. It's on their clothes, on their breath, etc. But drunks are definitely worse. A smoker hurts himself or herself over time and might hurt those living near them over time, but they're not doing much of anything else crazy. A rip-roaring smashed out of their mind drunk -- that leads to all sorts of problems. Angry drunks engaging in acts of violence that they never would have considered sober. Passed-out drunk girls getting raped. Drunk driving induced car accidents that kill or cripple innocent victims every single day. Husbands or wives flying into an otherwise uncharacteristic drunken rages and beating their spouses and children to a bloody pulp. A smoker might die of lung cancer over the course of one or more decades, but alcohol poisoning kills you immediately. Because it is a mild poison that dulls your senses and just plain makes you stupid, the possibilities for bad outcomes with alcohol are endless. I'd rather smell alcohol over cigarettes on somebody's breath, but not by much.

That's all just to answer the OP's question. Truthfully both are just fine. It's a free country and if somebody wants to imbibe any mind-altering drug they like, I'm fine with it -- as long as they're not hurting anybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies