Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 PM

155 posts, read 101,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
With this logic all should eat for free too just because they exist.

No.
I say that healthcare is a legitimate object of government, and that it should be provided for free, that is, paid for by society as a whole. Other posters have already accepted this statement when it comes to the military, but oppose it for society in general.

If our system is better, why isn't everyone copying it? We invented the Internet. It was better than what had come before. So it spread around the world. Why did our form of government spread around the world? Because it was genuinely a better system that produced better laws and a better society compared to the other governments that existed.

Why is it that our healthcare system is the exception to the rule? Why is nobody modeling their healthcare system after ours, when so many parts of our society are copied? Maybe the simplest answer is the right one: Because our healthcare system and the way we fund and pay for it really, really sucks, and everyone knows it except (a lot of) us?

Old 05-16-2016, 09:14 PM

404 posts, read 366,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You said "misuse", report them, problem solved.
Its not that easy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
"Us people" believe that if you're willing to put your life on the line to defend this country and its freedoms (that are dwindling daily) deserve said compensation.

"You people" are the ones that are despicable.
Wow, thats entitlement if i ever saw it. You dont deserve anytbing mkre than 3 squares a day and ur pay check. End of story.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 PM

404 posts, read 366,786 times
Quote:
You said "misuse", report them, problem solved.
Its not that easy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
"Us people" believe that if you're willing to put your life on the line to defend this country and its freedoms (that are dwindling daily) deserve said compensation.

"You people" are the ones that are despicable.
Wow, thats entitlement if i ever saw it. You dont deserve anytbing more than 3 squares a day and ur pay check. Btw, you put your life on the line because you want to, nobody is making you do so.

Last edited by Down in a Hole; 05-16-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 09:20 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
Nope, not any more than people outside the military receive. Or, at the very least, the burden of proof is on you to show why the military deserves benefits that we don't get - especially since these are benefits that all citizens receive in other countries.

Isn't the concept of taking away from the citizens to give to the military the basic ideology of the former Soviet Union and North Korea now? Isn't making young people get into massive debt to get a college education or making people pay a huge amount for healthcare (especially independent contractors and people who work for small businesses less than 50 people), while the military gets the so-called "best healthcare in the world," a tad unfair to the citizens?

And no, not everyone who is in the military is actually risking his or her life. Some of them are just chilling out, just like so many here say about the people on welfare. There are tons of civilian jobs that are more dangerous than some military jobs. Yeah, the most dangerous military jobs are way more dangerous than the most dangerous civilian jobs, but there's a big overlap.
Sorry, thought I made it quite clear...

Quote:
...if you're willing to put your life on the line to defend this country and its freedoms (that are dwindling daily) [then you] deserve said compensation.
If your beef is with state and local police/fire, take it up with them.

Would you prefer a mandatory draft?

Old 05-16-2016, 09:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
I see your point. Then it should be something else. Not something as important as healthcare.
LOL, well I guess they could increase their salary so they could buy their own healthcare to appease you.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:

Anual Wages
1st year Private (USA) = $17,604
1st year Private (Canada) = $31,965
Here's a question for you Lily, your nation is going head to head against a fairly well equipped and organized group like ISIS. Do you want to be in the Canadian Army or the US Army? I'm guessing if you're a private in the Canadian Army you'll be wishing that they invested some of your salary in a few attack helicopters instead. Our troops are the best equipped and best trained on the planet, that cost a lot of money to do.

Canada like much of the Western world enjoys blanket protection from US armed forces.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Its not that easy..

Wow, thats entitlement if i ever saw it. You dont deserve anytbing more than 3 squares a day and ur pay check. Btw, you put your life on the line because you want to, nobody is making you do so.
Nobody said anything about entitlement or "deserve", it's not something given to the military because they deserve it... it's earned and it's compensation in return for work just like a paycheck. We sign a contract by choice and we earn(ed) our benefits just like any other employee does.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here's a question for you Lily, your nation is going head to head against a fairly well equipped and organized group like ISIS. Do you want to be in the Canadian Army or the US Army? I'm guessing if you're a private in the Canadian Army you'll be wishing that they invested some of your salary in a few attack helicopters instead. Our troops are the best equipped and best trained on the planet, that cost a lot of money to do.

Canada like much of the Western world enjoys blanket protection from US armed forces.
Exactly!!!!!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
[quote=Y2Jayy;44086312]You keep referring to free healthcare as some sort of benefit that people who belong to certain government-sanctioned classes are entitled to. But remember this, society as a whole is paying for your special privileges. When we millennials take over, we'll create a universal healthcare system and universal education system for all citizens. Equal rights for all and special privileges for none. It will happen sooner than you think.

You STILL need to learn what compensation package is first.

Your entire thread is ridiculous to say the least. No offense. LOL @ special privileges for none.

You are one strange millennial who believes that military people's benefits are some kind of special privileges. I hope you don't take over. If so, the world is in big trouble. I was born in year 85. So keep on dreaming, people like us will make sure military service people are well taken care of. Everything is earned, not given to you for free. Deal with it.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:48 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Oh lord here we go! The constitution protects my right to say what i want, not some soldier halfway around the world in nigeria.

And selflessly? Really? Great heathcare housing allowance, earn more if you are married, gi bill, veterans preferance. What person goes into the military just to join and NOT for the benefits?
It's a job, everyone takes a job for the benefits whether it's the pay, insurance, bonuses, company car, whatever. The Constitution protects your right to say what you want, that soldier halfway around the world (assuming he's a US soldier) has those very same rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies