Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:30 PM

62,697 posts, read 28,894,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This is why things should stay the way they are. If we try to enforce English and make it official, somebody would get headstrong and try to make Spanish coofficial, which would serve to artificially keep it alive.

As it stands, Spanish is dying Fast. It is just an immigrant language. Most "hispanics" born and raised in the US are NOT proficient spanish speakers - if they speak Spanish at all.

This is not going to happen, even if LA Raza wants it to. Sure they may outnumber us someday, but they'll just be a bunch of English-speaking Mexicans.

I seriously doubt your last sentence. Hispanics are adamant about speaking Spanish and not losing it as a part of their culture. Look at the Cubans for a good example of it. Mexicans will be no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 02:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,171,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

For medical visits, one can be reasonably conversational in English but can struggle with technical terms with health.

This is true. I speak several languages fluently but until I lived in the countries where those languages were spoken, I didn't know medical terminology. The first few times I went to a doctor in each country were eye-opening...I had to have things explained slowly, sometimes multiple times, and I consulted a dictionary more than once.

(You can be fluent in Polish and not know the Polish word for "bladder.")

Old 05-26-2016, 02:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,171,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
What ever happened to Esperanto -- the international language that everyone was supposed to learn?

I guess it got replaced by Ebonics -- judging from the way a lot of people talk nowadays.

Here's where we're headed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EZ9Vgsp3OE

Old 05-26-2016, 11:37 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,306,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Nah, go back & read entry #207 in this thread. I don't know that la Raza - the political party? the ethnic movement? the political activists? - is pushing to make Spanish equal to English in the US. They might want to see both English & Spanish as official US languages - but I don't think that that is ever going to happen @ the federal level. It might be best to leave that indeterminate.

If we're talking about Mexican Spanish - no, it's not predominantly spoken by Caucasians in Mexico - because there aren't that many there - for the perfectly obvious reason that very few Spanish women went to Mexico during colonial times there, & consequently most of the Spanish had families by Native American women.
Don't bother trying to educate Packard about what the real meaning of La Raza is and its context. He just uses it as an excuse to bash Latinos, specifically Mexicans, who don't align with his political and cultural views.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,413,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Comments like this make me think it would be beneficial to deport American born citizens.
Comments like yours make me think it would be beneficial to deport U.S. citizens who support illegals after stripping them of their citizenship.

Quote:
Don't bother trying to educate Packard about what the real meaning of La Raza is and its context. He just uses it as an excuse to bash Latinos, specifically Mexicans, who don't align with his political and cultural views.
La Raza is a racist Latino Supremacist group into taking over the southwestern part of the U.S.

They're doing a pretty good job of it.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:39 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,583,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Comments like this make me think it would be beneficial to deport American born citizens.
Deport them to where? Mexico? Ok, but then they get to demand the locals go bilingual English and call them racist if they didagree.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:43 AM

11,204 posts, read 8,256,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Why stop at Spanish - add Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Romania - heck we get immigrants from all over the world so to limit the official language to just English and Spanish is racist isn't it libs?
Or, leave it to the free market, and let business decide if they want to sell to everyone, or just those who speak English. Businesses pandering to ALL potential clients is just political correctness, isn't it neo-cons?

Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,221,334 times
I Speak 4 languages and can pass as a native in 3 of them. But Officially, there should be only a single language.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:36 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,856,731 times
Quote:
I'll spell it out for you here, silver:

La raza to me means the kind of "Mexican" or Mexican American who's still butt hurt over the US taking half of Mexico before the Civil War and, would like to TRY to grab Arizona and so on. My come back to their kind is I'm sorry for taking half of Mexico, we should've taken ALL of it.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:03 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,781,187 times
Default Run for the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'll spell it out for you here, silver:

La raza to me means the kind of "Mexican" or Mexican American who's still butt hurt over the US taking half of Mexico before the Civil War and, would like to TRY to grab Arizona and so on. My come back to their kind is I'm sorry for taking half of Mexico, we should've taken ALL of it.
LOL. That was discussed extensively, actually, back when. The US government consensus was not to try to absorb the entire country of Mexico, as that would have meant a massive influx of Spanish speakers, Roman Catholics, Native American tribes (up & running, with their own languages, cultures, religions), & a large number of non-Anglo-Saxons, plus an entirely different legal system & government system. In fact, as we've discussed here a number of times now, there were/are very few pure Spaniards in Mexico - as very few Spanish women came to New Spain in the colonial era.

Politically, Mexico was on record against slavery (an inheritance from the Spanish Empire - & this was late 1840s, just a generation before the US Civil War), & there was concern that a massive Mexican population in the US might make political cause with their Irish co-religionists. As it was, the San Patricio Brigade - Irish - in the Mexican American War - went over to the Mexican side. The slavery question in the US was already roiling Congress & the national political parties, & was the issue of the day nationally, & everyone was tiptoeing around the issue.

You might want to look @ the history, to see what's been tried & done & @ least discussed before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies