Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 05:39 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,705,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You must be really busy and really tired if you've spoken to " most " of the Spanish speaking folks in America!
How about more than other language speakers? and btw I got reps for what I said. That's not even necessarily my original statement. You'll find more than a few who share the same experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:40 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza All Day View Post
English and French are official languages in Canada, making Canada a bilingual country. There's other countries where more than one language is officially recognized.

Should America recognize English and Spanish as its two official languages? Yes or no??
No.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:47 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
English and French are official languages in Canada, making Canada a bilingual country. There's other countries where more than one language is officially recognized.

Should America recognize English and Spanish as its two official languages? Yes or no??
No. I talked with a person in America who moved here from Canada. She loves it here. We were discussing the weather and the possibility that I may visit Canada and I shared with her the difference between visiting Jamestown and Newport Rhode Island. One trip across a bridge that cost me more than the locals had to pay and I was in a less friendly place. Jamestown was great. Only thing I enjoyed in Newport was KFC. I felt it was a total tourist trap and the locals didn't want us there.

She told me that is the way it is when you go from the English speaking part of Canada to the French speaking area. She said the French speaking area wanted nothing to do with the English speaking people.

Remember the tower of Babel and what happened there. We need a national language but only one, English.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:

No.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:17 PM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
Officially bilingual - no. Canada is bilingual due to being separate British and French colonies at one point.

I will say that I think we should put more of a focus on the youth of America to learn a second language though - as it can only benefit them in life, as they continue with education and ultimately explore careers that might not have other wise been attainable without being bilingual.

There is very little reason for any American young or old to learn a second language and let's face it, it is only Spanish being shoved down our throats even though there are people here who speak other foreign languages. The only reason would be if they are going to hold a job where you have to deal with foreign countries but even at that English is the business language of the world. IMO, stressing English usage in this country encourages assimilation by "immigrants". We are the host country they should be assimilating to us not the other way around.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
No. It'd be an administrative/logistical nightmare that would require public spending galore. There are better uses for our tax dollars at the moment.

Municipalities and states should be able to function bilingually if they wish, with their own collected taxes.
Wrong! If English were made official on the federal level we would no longer have to print government documents in several languages and we would save money by doing so. If you can't or won't learn English then get someone to interpret for you at your own expense. In other words sink or swim we aren't going to pander to you in your native language anymore.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
No way is this true. Canada is more than just Montreal and Vancouver. Even Vancouver is not as diverse as Los Angeles or New York City.
Sorry, but once again the immigration stats say you're wrong. Diverse is not just two.

Las Angeles was founded upon the Spanish language and that language remains as ONE of the two major languages. Vancouver was founded upon the English language and over fifty percent of it's current population claims another language as their primary language.

That's diversity!

You forgot to mention Toronto. "Toronto is the most diverse city in Canada and one of the most multicultural cities in North America, with over 50% of its population born outside of the country. With a larger foreign-born population than Vancouver, Los Angeles, and New York, Toronto is a city of unmatched distinction and tolerance."

Toronto the diverse: BBC study declares city most diverse in the world | Metro News

230 nationalities calling it home.

That's diversity!

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/...011001-eng.cfm

as of 2011 20.6% foreign born.

What Percentage of U.S. Population Is Foreign Born? | Brookings Institution

as of 2013 13.2% foreign born.

As I said, Canada is every bit as diverse as the U.S.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't really care that much about it either way, I do think that as time goes on it might go toward being that way, the demographics of the nation are shifting.

Right, directly due to illegal immigration from Spanish speaking countries but we should not have English as our official language because of that? Most citizen Hispanics know how to speak English. What about all the other foreign languages spoken in our country? Is Spanish special?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:33 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Whether its official or not learn English that's our language, accept it.
Exactly^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
No. You're a dullard if you believe that.
Apparently you don't understand that English is the language that binds us all in the US.

To further help you along, I'll give you an example. I once worked with 2 women---one was from India, the other from Hungary. Every day, they worked together, they would have conversations. Care to guess which language they used? Answer---English. Without English, they never would have been able to have a conversation. Period.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Low-hanging fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
It won't change again. It is embedded, absolutely, in technology, so it is Englsh all the way from now on. All other languages are just "baby-talk".
Simply irresistible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies