Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:50 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,028,430 times

Advertisements

He's still just a secretary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 01:53 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,547,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
I don't know to many people that make it known before they enter the room what their sexual preference is.
You don't know someone is straight when they're talking about their significant other, holding hands, kissing, etc? That other poster just told someone to advise their kids, if they are gay & joining the Marines, to hide the fact they're gay. Meanwhile, straights are never told something similar. I would NEVER tell a parent that their kid needs to zip it about their relationships. If that's not a form of oppression, I don't know what is.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:58 PM

39,838 posts, read 26,470,585 times
Meh. As long as he's the best person for the job, out of all the possible candidates, no big deal. If he's unqualified and was appointed just because he's a rump ranger to make a political statement, that's a different story. But our president would never sacrifice the efficiency and effectiveness of the armed forces just to make a mindless political statement now, would he?

Old 05-18-2016, 01:59 PM

1,100 posts, read 633,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You don't know someone is straight when they're talking about their significant other, holding hands, kissing, etc? That other poster just told someone to advise their kids, if they are gay & joining the Marines, to hide the fact they're gay. Meanwhile, straights are never told something similar. I would NEVER tell a parent that their kid needs to zip it about their relationships. If that's not a form of oppression, I don't know what is.
That applies to any sexual orientation/preference - in most work environments, I can't tell who's straight vs not, until we strike a conversation and the conversation itself steers that way. It literally took over a month before I knew one of my co-workers was gay...why? Because he isn't blabbing about his personal life. I only found out after we became friends and then he mentioned his significant other.

Regarding the other poster - he's entitled to his opinion...but there are homosexuals in the Corps...and they're not hiding the fact. Heterosexuals aren't told that, because heterosexual is the "norm" when you look at statistics. I don't disagree with your last comment, but bigots are gonna bigot.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,454,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Reality is still reality. I admire anybody who choose to be OPENLY gay and still choose to serve in the armed forces. They are making their life more difficult, in my opinion.

If gay jokes don't bother you, then you have to prove your self-worth to the fellow soldiers and Marines. I grew up with the Marines. Sadly, many of them do not hang out with people who don't act like them, they have to respect you to hang out with you. This is how they bond as brothers.

If they pick on you, that's good/normal. If they avoid you, that's how you know something is wrong.

Also on the whole being gay thing, its like anything else. No one cares if you're gay, black, or white. Just don't act like anything different. I guess.

No one should play politics in the military. NOT implying Eric Fanning would. But choosing to be OPENLY gay is a pretty bold move.

Quote:
Maybe I should have made myself clear. Being gay is not a choice

But being OPENLY gay is a choice.

----------------------------

Hope this is not unwanted advice, but,

If you had a son, brother, neighbor, relative who chose to enlist, I would say keep it to yourself, The average Marine / maybe true for soldiers too, is 19-20 year old.

Don't make your life more difficult. You might not like the advice, but you need to be careful whom you choose to share the info with.

I am not interested in arguing with anybody.
I think kids today are pretty socially live-and-let-live and they are mostly unburdened by the homophobia of past decades (which is starting to be a rear-view mirror issue for most people). And while not as effective as my "gaydar," I would bet that most of these young adults, as they get to know one another, quickly figure out who is gay. And I absolutely agree there isn't a need to label oneself, particularly in close quarters -- let the straight kids figure it, out without the gay soldiers making a Public Service Announcement, is the right way to go. (I've met several 19-20-21 year old soldiers and I have to remark that they have a lot of responsibility that requires good judgement, and it's pretty inspiring to see how they are certainly up to that burden, one that most non-military would be perplexed by.)

Old 05-18-2016, 02:29 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,048,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I think kids today are pretty socially live-and-let-live and they are mostly unburdened by the homophobia of past decades (which is starting to be a rear-view mirror issue for most people). And while not as effective as my "gaydar," I would bet that most of these young adults, as they get to know one another, quickly figure out who is gay. And I absolutely agree there isn't a need to label oneself, particularly in close quarters -- let the straight kids figure it, out without the gay soldiers making a Public Service Announcement, is the right way to go. (I've met several 19-20-21 year old soldiers and I have to remark that they have a lot of responsibility that requires good judgement, and it's pretty inspiring to see how they are certainly up to that burden, one that most non-military would be perplexed by.)
I think nowadays men cannot be as close to other men as before. In old days, it was common for men to touch each other (as a friendly gesture), or to share a lot of feelings. But nowadays people think it is too gay and tend to avoid it.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:32 PM

1,100 posts, read 633,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I think nowadays men cannot be as close to other men as before. In old days, it was common for men to touch each other (as a friendly gesture), or to share a lot of feelings. But nowadays people think it is too gay and tend to avoid it.
I can't say that to be true where I've lived and I've lived in at least 10 states in the last 19 years, coast to coast. Then again, I'm usually not around people who are insecure with themselves.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:48 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,314 times
Quote:
Maybe I should have made myself clear. Being gay is not a choice

But being OPENLY gay is a choice.

----------------------------

Hope this is not unwanted advice, but,

If you had a son, brother, neighbor, relative who chose to enlist, I would say keep it to yourself, The average Marine / maybe true for soldiers too, is 19-20 year old.

Don't make your life more difficult. You might not like the advice, but you need to be careful whom you choose to share the info with.

I am not interested in arguing with anybody.

Do you have a problem with members of the military that are OPENLY straight?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:46 PM

39,168 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Do you have a problem with members of the military that are OPENLY straight?
No, I also don't have any problems with anybody who are openly gay. Don't even go there.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:52 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,112,755 times
Perfect. That will make our enemies fear us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies