Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 03:34 PM

46,222 posts, read 26,980,998 times

Advertisements

I guess this is gonna really irritate some people, but 9 out of 10 Native Americans don't mind the term "Redskin" since 2004 it has not changed.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f9a_story.html

Quote:
The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the exact same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 05:28 PM

11,318 posts, read 16,634,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I guess this is gonna really irritate some people, but 9 out of 10 Native Americans don't mind the term "Redskin" since 2004 it has not changed.....

Those who usually are offended are not of that race, religion, etc.

It's just more of PC BS.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:31 PM

4,771 posts, read 3,278,895 times
I think most Indians accept the name as a tribute. I think of it that way myself, but surprisingly a survey from a few years ago showed over 40 percent of NFL players themselves felt the name should be changed.

NFL Nation Confidential -- Majority of players support Washington Redskins nickname

Last edited by jazzy jeff; 05-19-2016 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 05:48 PM

25,805 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Obviously the Harvard educated liberal activists haven't gotten through to them yet that they should be offended. Their ancestors were the ones who handed the Indians the pox tainted blankets. Today they are trying to hand them their putrid ideology. At least the Indians are smarter than that and won't fall for it this time.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:02 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,629,371 times
Quote:

It's going to irritate the same small number of people who make noise and carry signs at Redskins games and get the attention of the mainstream media, which in turn blows the story way out of proportion and wants people to think most Native Americans are aboard the PC train.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:20 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Obviously the Harvard educated liberal activists haven't gotten through to them yet that they should be offended. Their ancestors were the ones who handed the Indians the pox tainted blankets. Today they are trying to hand them their putrid ideology. At least the Indians are smarter than that and won't fall for it this time.
It proved particularly effective because the Ohio tribes had little immunity having missed the 1757-58 epidemic among the French allies contracted during the capture of Fort William Henry (New York). The Shawnee were fighting the Cherokee in Tennessee at the time, and they carried the disease to them, and then the Shawnee living with the Creek Confederacy. From there it spread to the Chickasaw and Choctaw, and finally the entire southeast. Before it had run its course, the epidemic had killed thousands, including British colonists.

There is an often repeated story that the Cherokee were given blankets infected with smallpox from a hospital in Tennessee during the Cherokee removal (Trail of Tears). We have found no historical basis for this story. Though thousands died during the removal west, there is no evidence of a major smallpox outbreak along the trail. In fact, the Cherokee population had been greatly reduced by several epidemics in the previous hundred years.

Smallpox blankets

Blanket story may not be true tho word was smallpox COULD be passed from person to person pretty easy.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:30 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,978,440 times
...silly me, i thought 'redskins' was a type of peanut

Old 05-19-2016, 06:45 PM

19,709 posts, read 10,054,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...silly me, i thought 'redskins' was a type of peanut
No, it's a potato.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:

Because they are raised to be proud of who they are.
They are not limp wristed snowflakes, raised to be a victim of their own identity.

Wear it like a badge of honor, or feel less than human in you own mind.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:16 PM

295 posts, read 180,552 times
Nah, they don't seem to mind at all..

Quote:
And when the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian hosted a symposium on Indian mascots in February, museum director Kevin Gover, himself a Native American, said the word was "the equivalent of the N-word." At the same event, former Colorado Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell asked the crowd to consider an equally offensive name for the local sports team: "How you would like for us to change the name of that team to the Washington Darkies?"
Quote:
Native American activist Suzan Shown Harjo has been battling the Redskins over the name for more than 20 years. "The name is one of the last vestiges of racism that is held right out in the open in America," Harjo said in a recent phone conversation. "It's a toy of racism, and the people who are holding on [to the name] for dear life, they know that."
Or do they? And no one thinks it's offensive?

Quote:
Over half of those questioned agreed that the word "redskin" is an inappropriate term to describe Native Americans.
Source: Are You Ready For Some Controversy? The History Of 'Redskin' : Code Switch : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies