Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Are these people "babbling away" in a foreign language talking to you? If he answer is no, then it is none of your business what they are saying or if you can understand them or not. I personally would be offended by your rude behavior of trying to listen to my conversation if you weren't a part of it.

He heard their mad laughter and felt left out. Probably doesn't recognized that some jokes in Spanish don't translate to English correctly. The joke loses its meaning.

[no bueno]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 09:18 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Seems like a racist term to me.
Whitesplaining, mansplaining... these terms are so blatantly racist, sexist and hypocritical that I'm amazed anyone would try to use them outside their safe space.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:33 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
He heard their mad laughter and felt left out. Probably doesn't recognized that some jokes in Spanish don't translate to English correctly. The joke loses its meaning.

[no bueno]

Nice try but no cigar. I have never thought they were talking about me nor have I ever felt left out. I couldn't care less what is going on with Jose and Maria. I have no interest in the content of their conversations whatsoever. But when you have to hear loud babble in a foreign language with no thought to those around you it's rude. As I said, it is constant not just once in awhile and it's everywhere you go. We all know why this is and it's because we have allowed too many here both legally and illegally from one ethnic group so they are colonizing rather than assimilating. What happened to diversity in our immigration numbers?

Old 05-21-2016, 09:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nice try but no cigar. I have never thought they were talking about me nor have I ever felt left out. I couldn't care less what is going on with Jose and Maria. I have no interest in the content of their conversations whatsoever. But when you have to hear loud babble in a foreign language with no thought to those around you it's rude. As I said, it is constant not just once in awhile and it's everywhere you go. We all know why this is and it's because we have allowed too many here both legally and illegally from one ethnic group so they are colonizing rather than assimilating. What happened to diversity in our immigration numbers?

Loud people in public are annoying. America allowing itself to be colonized by illegal Mexicans and others is annoying. But if simply hearing foreign languages bothers you, that's... a personal problem of your own that you might want to work on. I don't think announcing it here does much for the credibility of your arguments on immigration.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:01 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
Quote:
Yes, it IS loud. One poster who agreed--can't remember if it was this thread or the one asking if America should go bilingual--wondered if they speak loudly in Spain and another person answered that they do. I don't know if there is something to the flow of words and structure of Romance languages that would cause this...I did hear of a study showing Spanish speakers speak faster than English speakers. Perhaps with speed comes volume. I think people unconsciously talk louder in minority languages because they assume others around them who can't understand will automatically tune them out, the same way people on their phones unconsciously speak louder than they realize.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:03 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I once was eating at a well known chain restaurant that has an open kitchen. The back of the house staff was all Hispanic and they were talking about the cashier and speaking in Spanish. They called her a 4 letter derogatory term in Spanish, not once but three times all the while laughing at her. Meanwhile, the GM was in earshot and didn't speak a word of Spanish. After we left, I wrote to corporate HQ and told them of the incident. The GM later called me and questioned me because he thought I was lying. When I correctly answered all his trick questions, he acknowledged that I was, indeed, there. He was shocked---shocked I tell ya!---after all he had told his employees never to do such things. I told him that he shouldn't allow them to speak Spanish while on duty given the open kitchen. He gave some namby-pamby PC BS answer that was wrong. In the end, he said that he would discipline them all.

Yet you think it's okay if they speak another language because, after all, they aren't always talking trash about other employees and customers. Talk about being naive!
Good example. I don't know why people would encourage MORE chaos in society. There is enough as it is.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
I don't smoke. Anyway, you could always ask them to keep it down: "Tranquilicense por favor!"

[i had to Google that]

Old 05-21-2016, 10:56 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
I don't smoke. Anyway, you could always ask them to keep it down: "Tranquilicense por favor!"

[i had to Google that]
"Silencio!" Works just as well. One time we were in a fast food restaurant and some kids speaking Spanish were running around the place yelling in Spanish. When they got to our table, my husband said in a stern voice "Silencio!" They got quiet and only then did their mother tell them to stop running around and be quiet.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:11 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
This thread just made me think of this Seinfeld episode.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mzNwduqNVpM

Old 05-22-2016, 06:46 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:

[i had to Google that]

How about we get back to diversity in our legal immigration numbers which would encourage linguistic assimilations instead? How about we reduce all these family reunifications from south of our border? How about we start curbing illegal immigration which is mostly from Spanish speaking countries? Now there are not some novel ideas, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies