Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 06:47 PM

29,803 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What does national debt have to do with what a county hospital loses when treating illegals for free?

Study: Illegal immigrants cost Texas, hospitals $677 million - Houston Chronicle

Nothing in this case. You make a good point in this regard. What illegals are doing to some hospitals is immoral and wrong, and our politicians seem to find this acceptable. I think it's disgusting. As an American, I have to pay for things like health insurance and auto insurance, which means I cannot compete with illegal invaders, as my COL is higher than theirs. I feel like my own government is setting the American worker up to fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 06:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
CAUTION: Rant mode ON.

Illegals have all but taken over the construction trades in many cities.
Go to just about any job site in many cities and take a look at the Carpenters, Roofers, Painters, Masons, Drywall and Concrete crews.

Rant mode off
Yep, just had my house reroofed, added a room and hardi-planked. I am pretty certain 2/3rds of the workers involved were illegal. There are no jobs Americans will not do. There are jobs Americans will not do at the wages that have been driven down by illegal immigrants.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:48 PM

501 posts, read 361,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
CAUTION: Rant mode ON.

You know, I've been listening to this "jobs Americans won't do" nonsense for years now.

It's absolute drivel....the ultimate straw man argument.

Why? Because illegals aren't just fruit pickers and ditch diggers anymore and they haven't been for the last thirty years or so.

At one time, you could make this argument.....but that time has long since past.

Illegals have all but taken over the construction trades in many cities.
Go to just about any job site in many cities and take a look at the Carpenters, Roofers, Painters, Masons, Drywall and Concrete crews.

These are jobs that, at one time were the vocations of choice for many Americans who, either did not want to or could not afford to go to college. It was a way to still be paid a fair wage, raise a family and live the American dream.

Now.... They are almost all Hispanic workers.

And before you ask...."how do you know they're illegal"?

The answer is ....I work with them, I talk to them and I've even had some over for dinner.
They are no longer afraid to admit they're illegal, they come right out and tell you exactly why they are here, how they got here etc.

So, can we please finally dispel this myth once and for all?

Illegals are taking jobs that could be, should be and used to be done by American workers.

Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that is either grossly misinformed or intentionally being misleading to further an agenda.

Rant mode off
Are the employers of illegals all Republicans?

I work in houston Texas and often go to homes that are being remodelled or being constructed brand new, and all the workers are Spanish speaking of unknown citizenship status

But the employers are all white guys who I assume are Republicans. They don't exactly look like LGBT gender quality advocates, anyway.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:53 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Construction, landscaping, restaurant work, etc. can't be outsourced.
No, but you can ship the workers in. That's a pretty common thing in a lot of resort areas. A good chunk of guest workers from from South America and Eastern Europe.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How can any rational person argue against deporting illegal persons?
Because some of us don't really care is all.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
Are the employers of illegals all Republicans?

I work in houston Texas and often go to homes that are being remodelled or being constructed brand new, and all the workers are Spanish speaking of unknown citizenship status

But the employers are all white guys who I assume are Republicans. They don't exactly look like LGBT gender quality advocates, anyway.
Why does their party matter? Assuming your wild guess is correct.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:56 PM

What's weird about Trump's deportation plan is he never seems to mention the source of the issue: American employers who hire illegals. Usually these employers are Republicans too. He attacks the low-income immigrants but not the high-income US employers who employed them and profited off their labor.

Where there's a demand, there will be a supply. Illegals are the supply, and the American employer is the demand. According to what I've read, the right-wing Chamber of Commerce has lobbied repeatedly to weaken/neuter political attempts to pass E-verify, a federal work status verification program that has proven to be extremely effective at preventing illegals from getting work.

In Texas, the right-wing controls all branches of government. Despite this, the Republicans stopped themselves from passing mandatory E-verify laws for private employers and state contractors. They even put an exemption in their laws that prevented wealthy people with illegal immigrant maids from being punished by the law.

So what gives?

Trump's plan would deport 11 million illegals, but he appears to let the employers get off scot-free. Isn't that kind of screwed up?

Old 05-21-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why does their party matter? Assuming your wild guess is correct.
Well, I also go into the homes of the richest people in Houston. We're talking about 18 million dollar homes here sometimes. And they all have Latin maids of unknown citizenship, and judging by their reading material on display in their homes, they are almost all Republicans.

to me it appears that the vast majority of the illegal immigrants in this country are hired by Republicans, which brings up a weird dilemma. The Republican party is opposed to raising the minimum wage, but is in favor of limiting employers' ability to hire labor at whatever price they can find. Which strikes me as very contradictory.

A more coherent pro-free market policy regarding illegals would be to make sure illegals cannot receive any benefits of any kind from the government. But they should be allowed to work in the US so that employers can freely pursue lower priced labor and services. To deport the illegals entirely is the equivalent of raising the minimum wage.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Well, I also go into the homes of the richest people in Houston. We're talking about 18 million dollar homes here sometimes. And they all have Latin maids of unknown citizenship, and judging by their reading material on display in their homes, they are almost all Republicans.

to me it appears that the vast majority of the illegal immigrants in this country are hired by Republicans, which brings up a weird dilemma. The Republican party is opposed to raising the minimum wage, but is in favor of limiting employers' ability to hire labor at whatever price they can find. Which strikes me as very contradictory.
What about a party committed to raising the minimum wage but wants amnesty and low deportation rates? Do you not find that contradictory?

Old 05-21-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
What's weird about Trump's deportation plan is he never seems to mention the source of the issue: American employers who hire illegals. Usually these employers are Republicans too. He attacks the low-income immigrants but not the high-income US employers who employed them and profited off their labor.

Where there's a demand, there will be a supply. Illegals are the supply, and the American employer is the demand. According to what I've read, the right-wing Chamber of Commerce has lobbied repeatedly to weaken/neuter political attempts to pass E-verify, a federal work status verification program that has proven to be extremely effective at preventing illegals from getting work.

In Texas, the right-wing controls all branches of government. Despite this, the Republicans stopped themselves from passing mandatory E-verify laws for private employers and state contractors. They even put an exemption in their laws that prevented wealthy people with illegal immigrant maids from being punished by the law.

So what gives?

Trump's plan would deport 11 million illegals, but he appears to let the employers get off scot-free. Isn't that kind of screwed up?
Because Trump, like all Republicans, plans to do zilch about it. The GOP has been railing about this since the 70's. What amazes me is that their supporters keep thinking anything different is going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies