Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 07:04 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times

Advertisements

School no longer allowed to teach anything contradicting climate change.

Portland public schools ban textbooks that cast doubt on climate change | Fox News

Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 PM

45,224 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Govt skools mean govt books. careful what you wish for

Old 05-22-2016, 07:08 PM

1,100 posts, read 633,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Govt skools mean govt books. careful what you wish for
Spot on Frank.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:10 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I find this scary. I thought book control was the job for communist countries. How can a person learn to discern what is good and bad or right or wrong or truth or lie if they are not allowed to experience all theories? We will have a generation of brain dead humans coming from this type of total control.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I find this scary. I thought book control was the job for communist countries. How can a person learn to discern what is good and bad or right or wrong or truth or lie if they are not allowed to experience all theories? We will have a generation of brain dead humans coming from this type of total control.
We have turned essentially into the commies - thought crimes, re-distribution of wealth, and cowardly leaders afraid of the people.

Meanwhile over in Russia, Putin holds an annual press conference that runs past 3 hrs on average. Seemed a lot less scripted than any of Obama's.

"17 Dec 2015 07:12
That’s it, the marathon is over: 3 hours 10 mins."

Vladimir Putin press conference: 'Russian military personnel were in Ukraine' - as it happened | World news | The Guardian

Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
A book burn honestly sounds like fun...now to the main point. This is ridiculous. I'm not a climate change denier, but it is a bit too much to place a majority of the blame on humans. The earth has ice caps. It means that we're technically in an ice age. We're coming out of an ice age. In the billions and billions of years the earth has existed this has happened before. I don't know which one is worse...the egoism or the ignorant science.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:05 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Absurd.

I don't think there's a reason to deny climate change, but to censor skepticism and critical thought is frankly as anti-intellectual as flat out saying climate change is a hoax. Schools should teach people to be critical and thoughtful; as is they do an awful job of it anyway. Memorizing facts means nothing in the real world, nor should it mean anything. But this is too much. Students should be taught to be critical of everything they read, and know how to identify good and bad criticisms. Simply allowing something to not be talked about is not a way to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Communists are far from the only group that burns books. Any authoritarian ideology will do it. Conquistadors did it in South America. The Nazis did it in Germany. I'd imagine ISIS does it too. And while local levels ban by school districts sometimes happen, often for stupid reason, a state wide ban is, to my knowledge, unprecedented in liberal democracies such as ours. This is precisely the reason I don't buy the whole 'states rights are better' mantra conservatives often put up. A state is just a likely to do some crazy authoritarian nonsense as the federal government. The only reason some think the state scenario is better is because it might not happen in their state.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:24 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
I guess this will fall right in with the sanitized history books that children read in school.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
This is precisely the reason I don't buy the whole 'states rights are better' mantra conservatives often put up. A state is just a likely to do some crazy authoritarian nonsense as the federal government. The only reason some think the state scenario is better is because it might not happen in their state.
Two reasons states rights are better. 1) 50 chances to get it right, which others can copy, versus one. 2) Easier to move.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:18 PM

617 posts, read 349,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winebro View Post
Sorry, but Portland is absolutely doing the right thing. Science is not something that people can vote; it just is. The only people who protest such a move are people who refuse to accept what the scientific community has accepted for years. Climate change science is not even up for debate -- except in America.

And considering the fact that America is very, very close to electing someone as unqualified as Donald Trump for president, I really don't value the opinion of the average American when it comes to science. There's a reason why America's most prestigious companies repeatedly hire H1B workers over Americans. They simply don't have the right work ethic and they don't understand basic math and science in the same way that others outside their own borders do.

Flame away. Don't care, because I'm 100 percent right. Manmade global climate change is as 'debatable' as germ pathogen theory or heliocentric theory. Debate it all you want, but only a fool would.
I think we all see who the fool is. Buh-bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies