Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 PM

10,135 posts, read 15,822,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Here are some facts that never get mentioned in the abortion debate. American abortion laws are much more liberal than in Europe.
-----------
https://www.prageru.com/courses/poli...ope-or-america
Except for maybe Germany, Europe is also MUCH more conservative than America when it comes to illegal immigration and Islamic issues. Liberal France bans Muslims from wearing the hijab in government jobs, while in the US we only hear about Christian crosses being banned but not Muslim dress. Europe is also far welcoming of illegal aliens than the liberal left in America is.

Europe is also less liberal on gay marriage too. Many countries, including Germany, ban gay marriage. France still bans gay adoptions. I also don't think most European countries allow men to go to women's restrooms just because they feel like a woman on a particular day.

Europe is only more liberal than America when it comes to taxes, the death penalty, foreign policy (why do so many of them support Palestine even though they are Islamic radicals) and gun control. The Anglican Church is the official religion of the UK and many Scandivanian countries have official religions too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:44 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,100,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Thank you Dr. Mengele!
Google 'Harlequin babies' and tell me you honestly think women should still be forced to birth the baby with conditions like that.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:01 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,826,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Nearly every European country makes abortion available on demand during the first trimester.
In the US 91% of abortions are in the 1st trimester and 9% in the second.
Right wing US politicians though want to ban ALL abortions, asserting that life begins at conception.
Europe is more liberal than the US - abortion on demand during the first trimester..

Legal situations in Europe | Abortion Clinics in Europe
Life does begin at conception; basic biology. It does not mean life has to be protected at that stage.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:39 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,160,890 times
What, exactly, does what European countries' policies on their domestic issues have to do with Americans wanting specific domestic policies?

By the OP's rationale, it should be okay for the US should ban or severely limit gun ownership since that's the "norm" in most of Europe.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:25 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,301,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Except for maybe Germany, Europe is also MUCH more conservative than America when it comes to illegal immigration and Islamic issues. Liberal France bans Muslims from wearing the hijab in government jobs
Putting aside the political spectrum labels, which aren't necessarily transferable from one country to another country's context, many European countries (such as France) actually do a poorer job of integrating immigrants into their mainstream society, than say, the USA, which is built up to be a nation of immigrants. That explains a lot why the Paris Banlieues (outskirts) are a hotbed of discontent.

Which explains why their Muslim immigrants are more marginalized, poorer and feel much more isolated than American Muslims here. Though it seems a whole lot of you so-called Americans want to pursue policies that ostracize Muslim Americans.

I wouldn't necessarily call German immigration policy "liberal". It is very, very difficult for Turkish immigrants, even 2nd and 3rd Generation ones who have lived in Germany all their lives, to obtain German citizenship - and fully participate in civil and community life.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:28 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,667,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What, exactly, does what European countries' policies on their domestic issues have to do with Americans wanting specific domestic policies?

By the OP's rationale, it should be okay for the US should ban or severely limit gun ownership since that's the "norm" in most of Europe.
Read the OP again. It doesn't say we should follow Europe.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:14 PM

36,136 posts, read 30,611,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Read the OP again. It doesn't say we should follow Europe.
What exactly is the point then.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,770,379 times
I consider myself to be pro-choice and progressive on many issues, however, I don't look to Europe for anything in relation to our US society. Europe is not the US and Europe is a continent, not a country. I am aware that in Europe they do have much more restrictions on abortion and other things versus the US, IMO that makes them not likely to gain my adoration/favor.

I think it is odd that conservatives who made the video in the link think that "progressives" put some sort of pedestal status on Europe. Most progressives and liberals I know like some things about Europe but not others.

But FWIW, I do admire many Western Europeans nations for their dedication to paid maternity/paternity leave and high quality early education. I think in general Europe is much more family oriented versus the US and as such, I understand why they have more restrictive abortion services as a result.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,770,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post

I thought this as well. It seems to many conservative "think tanks" don't really think about what they are saying.

If we are going to be all for European style abortions, then we should also be for European style bans on firearms, and all for universal healthcare, and all for 12 month paid maternity/paternity leave, and all for free preschool starting at age 3 taught by a PhD trained teacher (like Franc), and all for no school choice at all and a compulsory/standardized education curriculum (like Finland), etc, etc, etc....

Old 05-25-2016, 01:40 PM

596 posts, read 426,607 times
We like certain things about Europe and we don't like certain things about Europe. Why can't we have a relationship where we accept the good things about them and discard the ones we don't like?

You know, how Liberals allow Conservative to have nuanced views on the Bible, or any other subject for that matter.

Right Liberals? It's OK to have nuanced views? Sometimes even views that contradict themselves? It's OK for both sides to do it? That's what I thought.

No need to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies