U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:47 PM

36 posts, read 36,011 times

Advertisements

Has the time come for the U.S. to end the WFDF policy on Cuban Immigration to Miami? Obama's Normalizing relations between U.S. and Cuba has increased the flow of Cuban immigration to Miami. What of the Cubans that walk across the Mexican border, arrive in Miami and claim political refugee status for entitlements?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ing-to-a-head/

Why are the Haitian's sent back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 08:02 PM

874 posts, read 576,603 times
We put this policy in place during the cold war, and it's hard to reverse course now. Bound to happen eventually.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:47 PM

36 posts, read 25,009 times
Being a Cuban who recently crossed the Mexican border I am able to explain to you a couple of things that you might not know.

The guiltiness for the dictators in Cuba to still be ruling completely falls on the United States of America, Why ? Simple...

The mindset of the people in Cuba is: why getting into a high-stake war against the government when I can simply escape to America ???????

Due to the fact that america's doors have been opened to Cubans, the problems there have remained unfixed for years. People prefer to escape, and put an end to the economic struggle they have while living there. That is actually how your government has helped the dictators through out the years. It is a law that has had a boomerang effect.

Now, was it intentionally or unintentionally thought out ????????????????????????????????

I am actually criticizing the same law that put me here; I know! But, it is the way it is. I was also another coward who did not fight the system and chose the easiest solution: to come over to this country chasing relentlessly the American dream.

PS: please could you correct my punctuation? Thanks!

Old 05-27-2016, 06:01 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,426,961 times
It's not hard to reverse course unless you take into account all of the people who yell and scream when you take away a countries naive generosity. As Marco Rubio has correctly pointed out many Cuban and other migrants are coming here, claiming benefits and then when they run out or they have sucked the system as dry as they can are going back to their countries waiting for a period of time and coming back under an a different name.

Wet foot dry foot should have auto ended with normalization. Not only is it unfair to the tax payers but it creates a deadly situation for those who try to get here. You don't hear much about the hundreds of people who never make it here. For that reason alone the policy should have been canceled. Over the decades 10 of thousands of people from Cuba and Haiti have drowned because of these policies.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:15 AM

558 posts, read 414,556 times
The policy serves no purpose other than helping the electoral control of the largest county in the largest swing state. If Cubans were to spread out all over the US, instead of concentrating in Miami Dade county, the law would have ben dumped decades ago.

But wait, Cuba is still a dictatorship, you could say. It is, but the US welcomes refugees and political asylees, through a (not so strict) vetting process. 70,000 refugees every year. around 20.000 asylees every year. There is no need of a separate policy for Cubans, they should follow the same rules that apply to Russian, Nigerian, Venezuelans, Syrian, Chinese, etc.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:51 AM

44 posts, read 32,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotsen View Post
Being a Cuban who recently crossed the Mexican border I am able to explain to you a couple of things that you might not know.

The guiltiness for the dictators in Cuba to still be ruling completely falls on the United States of America, Why ? Simple...

The mindset of the people in Cuba is: why getting into a high-stake war against the government when I can simply escape to America ???????

Due to the fact that america's doors have been opened to Cubans, the problems there have remained unfixed for years. People prefer to escape, and put an end to the economic struggle they have while living there. That is actually how your government has helped the dictators through out the years. It is a law that has had a boomerang effect.

Now, was it intentionally or unintentionally thought out ????????????????????????????????

I am actually criticizing the same law that put me here; I know! But, it is the way it is. I was also another coward who did not fight the system and chose the easiest solution: to come over to this country chasing relentlessly the American dream.

PS: please could you correct my punctuation? Thanks!
I understand your view point but where is your honor for your country of Cuba? Why not stay and fight and stick it out? Why throw in the towel and take the easy way out, running perhaps illegally to another country, in this case the EE.UU.? Especially now, that Cuba is on the up and up. To be honest with you, you sound like a trader. Whatever happen to honor and being a proud patriot of your beautiful unspoiled country Cuba? Cuba's future is brighter than ever....you should have stayed in Cuba because it's just a matter of months before the flood gates of opportunity begin there.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:03 PM

9,255 posts, read 8,318,049 times
The wet foot/dry foot Cubans I know did not come over here to sit on their asses and collect benefits.

They all went to work immediately, multiple jobs to support their families and educate them.

In fact, every immigrant I know from any country has done the same.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:02 PM

36 posts, read 25,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carson Lives View Post
I understand your view point but where is your honor for your country of Cuba? Why not stay and fight and stick it out? Why throw in the towel and take the easy way out, running perhaps illegally to another country, in this case the EE.UU.? Especially now, that Cuba is on the up and up. To be honest with you, you sound like a trader. Whatever happen to honor and being a proud patriot of your beautiful unspoiled country Cuba? Cuba's future is brighter than ever....you should have stayed in Cuba because it's just a matter of months before the flood gates of opportunity begin there.

When I posted my lines I did not mean to disrespect or hurt anybody. I just thought it was interesting to share my insights with the people who visit the Miami page. To be honest I never thought I would get an answer like the one you gave me. It is amazing the way some individuals (like you in this case) react to simple comments. That was kind of like the same way bigots would react. Anyways, if it makes you feel better, I am indeed a traitor, coward etc. Happy now ???????????????

You need to carefully analyze your posts before you submit them because otherwise It might make you look as a stupid hater.

Last edited by Rotsen; 05-28-2016 at 10:50 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 06:00 PM

5,933 posts, read 2,755,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
It's not hard to reverse course unless you take into account all of the people who yell and scream when you take away a countries naive generosity. As Marco Rubio has correctly pointed out many Cuban and other migrants are coming here, claiming benefits and then when they run out or they have sucked the system as dry as they can are going back to their countries waiting for a period of time and coming back under an a different name.

Wet foot dry foot should have auto ended with normalization. Not only is it unfair to the tax payers but it creates a deadly situation for those who try to get here. You don't hear much about the hundreds of people who never make it here. For that reason alone the policy should have been canceled. Over the decades 10 of thousands of people from Cuba and Haiti have drowned because of these policies.
Excuse me but what normalization? There is still a economic embargo against Cuba going on 5 decades now !

Old 05-30-2016, 01:21 PM

400 posts, read 366,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Carson Lives View Post
Why not stay and fight and stick it out? Why throw in the towel and take the easy way out, running perhaps illegally to another country, in this case the EE.UU.?...
...you should have stayed in Cuba because it's just a matter of months before the flood gates of opportunity begin there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Excuse me but what normalization? There is still a economic embargo against Cuba going on 5 decades now !
With a nick like Johnny Carson Lives I suspect it is a double user or a very temporary one.
One cannot judge the entire environment of another country from the comfort of America. Stay and fight, hmmm, with pebbles and harsh words? Communism failed without the support of the now defunct Soviet Union, and Fascism is all the Castros have. Venezuela is failing and no longer supports the Castros.
Possibly the only motivation for people inside Cuba to rise and rebel are the constant communications with those in the US and the probability of hope and opportunities.

The normalization still has to go thru Congress.

The "younger" Castro has got to see that the only chance, now, to prevent his people from becoming Venezuela is to open up to trade; think about it if those cargo ships that do Port Miami-Caribbean, Port Lauderdale - Caribbean would also stop at his Island Nation.

Revoking the wet foot dry foot, would be a bad, bad move in a year of elections. Perhaps after November, yes strike it down!

Last edited by ElGuito; 05-30-2016 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies