Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 11:14 AM

29,462 posts, read 16,420,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Saying the first bomb was a mistake certain implies wrongdoing. If I do something I recognize later was wrong i feel sorry for it.

Let's face it he was kissing ass. No one is harmed. Fortunately we had a good Democrat for President in 1945. No college degree, but a lot of common sense.
No, he said the bomb was something we hoped to never use again. The mistake was war in and of itself. Not the use of the bomb itself. I get that the speech is about 24 minutes long, but you should watch it.

Also, you define FDR as a good Democrat, he was to the left of Barack Obama by a mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 11:38 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,781,187 times
Default A king of infinite space ...

Quote:
My filipino father in law who lived through the Japanese atrocities in Cebu hated the Japs (his term) until his dying day.

The Japanese and Germans were working on an A-bomb also. The fact is whoever manufactured one first was going to use it in a war with such high stakes.
Yah, both looked into the possibility. Germany didn't have enough resources (ores, precision engineering, nuclear physicists, mathematicians, engineers, power to spare, explosives, critical electrical components, trained manpower) - it's a long list. & of course they drove out a lot of the science/engineering/physics talent they would have needed to do the theoretical work & then the engineering work. So their wounds there were largely self-inflicted.

The Japanese were in worse shape - they had the wrong military strategy - the bulk of the IJA was in China, of all places, endlessly conquering land that merely thinned their forces & strained even further their totally inadequate logistics. Japan never had the manpower to do what they attempted, & they ignored their raw materials requirements, logistics to keep their industrial/military machine running. They were short of cargo craft, they didn't update their frontline aircraft during the war, the ignored the possible strategic uses of their submarine arm. Their industrial base wasn't there, to pursue nuclear weapons & the conventional war they were waging.

Both Germany & Japan thought that nuclear weapons might be possible, but too far down the line in terms of development & implementation to be of any immediate use.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:24 PM

46,865 posts, read 25,830,287 times
Quote:
However it was certainly implied the bombing was something to be ashamed of.
You must have read a different speech.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Japan never had the manpower to do what they attempted, & they ignored their raw materials requirements, logistics to keep their industrial/military machine running. They were short of cargo craft, they didn't update their frontline aircraft during the war, the ignored the possible strategic uses of their submarine arm. Their industrial base wasn't there, to pursue nuclear weapons & the conventional war they were waging.
Didn't help that they acted like complete and utter bastards to the locals. If they'd tried to go for the "liberator" angle rather than the iron-fisted brutal occupiers they were, they might have had enthusiastic backing from the occupied territories.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:47 PM

25,792 posts, read 16,434,167 times
He feels he can speak out on this issue because...you know it was the evil WHITE man that dropped the bomb. HE is not responsible. You know, America is such a better country now with his great wisdom at the helm.

That is how he looks at it I'm sure.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:19 PM

18,756 posts, read 18,035,386 times
Like I said before; here is where he should have been on this holiday weekend. You will not hear anything about this latest vandalism from our illustrious administration: Vandals Deface Vietnam War Memorial In Venice « CBS Los Angeles. His legacy will be all about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We hired him to represent us and not the rest of the world! It would be great if one time he went out of character and actually praised our service men and women as well as the police that protect our Nation.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Constructing fantasy scenarios to provide justification for one's dislikes probably feels good, but is it constructive?

Old 05-28-2016, 02:53 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,781,187 times
Default The World is not enough; winged demi-horse ensigned with six stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
He feels he can speak out on this issue because...you know it was the evil WHITE man that dropped the bomb. HE is not responsible. You know, America is such a better country now with his great wisdom at the helm.

Wonderfully loopy comment. Wasn't Pres. Obama's mother Caucasian? & so that would - by this logic - make Obama only half-responsible for the nuclear weapons dropped on Japan? I wonder if it's the right half or the left half? Or upper or lower? Or maybe by quadrants? Likely the sinister, wouldn't you think?

Old 05-28-2016, 02:56 PM

7,581 posts, read 8,635,733 times
Trying to retrospectively qualify the Nobel peace prize?

Old 05-28-2016, 04:29 PM

Default So, I have two orders of crow - anyone else wish to order?

Quote:
Labeling an action "evil" and a "mistake" is certainly pretty close to an apology. I got no big problem with it. Diplomacy (kissing ass) is what world leaders do. But, I say it is an apology. Apologies do not always include the words "I am sorry".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well that makes it worse Dane... who seems to know way more than a person really ought about this... makes me wonder ... ... ... ...

that means Mr. Obama repeated a well known refrain in Japan that clearly points to the evil of the USA dropping that bomb.

thank you for pointing out just how terrible Mr. Obamas choice of words were.
Well, lookee here what UPI has to say on their website today:

Quote:
An earlier version of this story mistakenly attributed a quote to Obama. "Let all the souls here rest in peace, for we shall not repeat the evil" is the English translation of the epitaph from the Hiroshima memorial. It was not part of Obama's speech.
Obama the first U.S. president to visit Hiroshima - UPI.com

Ketchup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies