Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:14 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Honestly, a child rapist isn't as bad for society on the whole as a drug dealer. People that are in prison for felony drug charges are drug DEALERS not drug USERS. A child rapist can't destroy an entire neighborhood or cause the type of crime a meth dealer can.

Both should be executed for a second offense. I might even go with a first offense for a child rapist because that's not exactly something you can ever fix. It's sad that some people have a natural attraction to children, but they're too much of a threat to society to keep around outside of a cage. Maybe chemical castration?

I do believe a drug dealer can be rehabilitated, but I'm only willing to give them one warning before a death penalty. I also don't think they should be crowding our prisons up. I think we send them into rehabilitation programs. 2 year programs with job training. I also think they should be released with a clean record. Only the government should have access to a non-violent offenders criminal record after rehabilitation.

If they mess up again, we use the permanent solution to the problem.
Drug dealing is only a crime because we say it is. If we decriminalize drugs, the economic hold drug dealers have dies. When drugs can be legally attained at a market price, you'll at the very least have fewer drug dealers. I know that's not how Saudi Arabia does (great role model by the way...), but hey, we're not barbaric savages under the rule of a theocratic monarch.

Oh, you don't believe drug dealers can be rehabilitated. Time to let you know; beliefs mean nothing. What you believe is fine for personal conviction. If a man out of prison for drug dealing comes to you looking for a job, you can turn them away (which statistically makes them more likely to turn to a life of crime, but facts...), but your personal beliefs should not and I would argue cannot be used to justify policy. Only things of substance, things that can be measured and tested, should create policy. Drug dealers are rehabilitated all the time. Recidivism is pretty high, around 50%, but this means the 50% aren't sent back to prison.

The intelligent thing to do is to find what works. There isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that your little idea would do anything to better anyone. None. You've provided only your personal beliefs, which again, mean nothing. You can believe fairies are real, but you just saying 'that's how I feel' isn't going to convince me. Nor should it convince anyone. There are countries that have found ways to bring their crime rates and recidivism rates down; look to what they're doing and see how we can adapt that to our specific needs. You can say Saudi Arabia deals with crime efficiently, but they also execute gay people, apostates, and witches, the last of which doesn't exist. Meanwhile, Norway has the most humane prison system on Earth while also having one of the lowest rates of recidivism in the world.

By all means, continue to support your favorite theocratic monarchy, but I'm going to go with the one that values science, progress, and verifiable results. To put it simply, what I and Norway seek to do is to clean up the problem; you and Saudi Arabia want to feel good. Your solution isn't a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 08:29 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
To be fair: a meth head is MORE likely to be a child molester than someone smoking weed, or someone who's "clean".
meth is a pretty awful drug, but I can't find any evidence that child molesters are likely to abuse it or be under the influence of it, on the contrary alcohol seems to continue to be the drug of choice for child molesters.

Drugs and alcohol cause sexual offenses to occur: False. While drugs and alcohol are often involved in sexual assaults, drugs and alcohol do not cause sexual offenses to occur. Rather, drug and alcohol use may be a disinhibitor for the offender, while being under the influence may increase a potential victim's vulnerability.

Among pedophiles in residential or outpatient treatment, two-thirds had a lifetime history of mood or anxiety disorders, 60% had lifetime substance abuse history, with 51% naming alcohol as their drug of choice,

Old 05-30-2016, 11:39 PM

248 posts, read 172,491 times
Make really stupid people smarter...
Can't happen because the perpetrators actually like living ignorantly.
It's time to get Un-PC and maybe even cruel...nothing soft and passive will work...period. We're talking about humans just slightly above animals.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Drug dealing is only a crime because we say it is. If we decriminalize drugs, the economic hold drug dealers have dies. When drugs can be legally attained at a market price, you'll at the very least have fewer drug dealers. I know that's not how Saudi Arabia does (great role model by the way...), but hey, we're not barbaric savages under the rule of a theocratic monarch.

Oh, you don't believe drug dealers can be rehabilitated. Time to let you know; beliefs mean nothing. What you believe is fine for personal conviction. If a man out of prison for drug dealing comes to you looking for a job, you can turn them away (which statistically makes them more likely to turn to a life of crime, but facts...), but your personal beliefs should not and I would argue cannot be used to justify policy. Only things of substance, things that can be measured and tested, should create policy. Drug dealers are rehabilitated all the time. Recidivism is pretty high, around 50%, but this means the 50% aren't sent back to prison.

The intelligent thing to do is to find what works. There isn't a shred of evidence to suggest that your little idea would do anything to better anyone. None. You've provided only your personal beliefs, which again, mean nothing. You can believe fairies are real, but you just saying 'that's how I feel' isn't going to convince me. Nor should it convince anyone. There are countries that have found ways to bring their crime rates and recidivism rates down; look to what they're doing and see how we can adapt that to our specific needs. You can say Saudi Arabia deals with crime efficiently, but they also execute gay people, apostates, and witches, the last of which doesn't exist. Meanwhile, Norway has the most humane prison system on Earth while also having one of the lowest rates of recidivism in the world.

By all means, continue to support your favorite theocratic monarchy, but I'm going to go with the one that values science, progress, and verifiable results. To put it simply, what I and Norway seek to do is to clean up the problem; you and Saudi Arabia want to feel good. Your solution isn't a solution.
Who are you arguing with?

Old 05-31-2016, 06:22 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Exactly. A very good example of this is City of LA prior to and after the Northridge earthquake.

Absolutely huge crime drop after the earthquake when many jobs were created for reconstruction.
Most of the crime never came back.

What happened in NOLA?

Old 05-31-2016, 06:22 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I think there are those who would try to solve crime issues through means that violate the Constitution.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think there are those who would try to solve crime issues through means that violate the Constitution.
I guess the Constitution is PC now. Who knew?

Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Obviously we could fix our crime problems in the U.S. if we really wanted to, but it wouldn't be pretty. Regardless of what anyone thinks, facing the firing squad for a second felony offense would cleanse our major cities in less than a generation; however, the bleeding hearts would never go for something so cruel despite the fact that it would greatly improve society for the majority.

With our current demographics, do you believe there is any way that we could ever reduce the crime in our major cities to Singapore type levels without brutal or harsh penalties and loads of law enforcement?

Theft and assaults are direct relation to the economic health of the community. The more educated a community becomes, the better the economic health of that community.

Education and bringing God into peoples lives.

The dumbing down education and kicking god out, has had its consequences. Evil has filled the void.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:26 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Quote:
Obviously we could fix our crime problems in the U.S. if we really wanted to, but it wouldn't be pretty. Regardless of what anyone thinks, facing the firing squad for a second felony offense would cleanse our major cities in less than a generation; however, the bleeding hearts would never go for something so cruel despite the fact that it would greatly improve society for the majority.

With our current demographics, do you believe there is any way that we could ever reduce the crime in our major cities to Singapore type levels without brutal or harsh penalties and loads of law enforcement?
Yes.. absolutely

Neuter all felons of the dangerous kind..part 1 crimes

Pay breeder moms to sterilize

After several generations the problems would diminish by default

Cost effective.. permanent... easy to accomplish

Oops..missed the PC part...

Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Poverty is everywhere in rural China, and even more so 30 to 50 years ago. Crime rate? Pretty low now, and pretty low back then.
Why no one respond to my post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies