Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Yesterday, a co-worker spoke about how she hates America because of the treatment of minimum wage workers. She burns flags on the weekends. This is why I am discussing this.
I'd ask her what SHE was doing to help the situation at all. Does she vote? Reach out to Congress? Support organizations designed to help low-income people? Anything productive at al? Tell her that talk and flag-burning are cheap when she can put positive action behind her outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 09:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I think there are irrational people left, right, and center. Centrist just means that you either don't take a stand on anything too strongly, or you don't go outside of the Clinton-to-Bush-sized box that you're given.

It's good to not blindly follow one side or the other, but that doesn't mean that people who have views outside of the "allowable opinion" aren't sane or well-adjusted. I was going to ignore your post, but it's a fallacy I hear all the time.
It depends how you approach my post. I was writing it with the mindset that people who are centrist tend not to care about politics a lot, and people that do on the left and right, get too worked up and serious about it and violence usually happens from both those 2 powder kegs exploding.

Me, in real life, I couldn't give a rat's behind about politics. I don't take it seriously, I never discuss it with anyone in real life and if the topic comes up I try to end it by feigning ignorance or disinterest. It's not worth it rocking your social circle over politics, IMO. Especially since Americans take it too seriously like if it were the NFL

Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
What is your message to some Americans who say God D*** America, who despise everything about America, and who wants anarchy in the U.S.?
I say they are spoiled brats and if they want to see what hell is really like please move to Syria or similar hell holes and stay there.

" Nobody worth a damn is gonna miss you!"

Old 05-28-2016, 09:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
absolutely right. dont let teh door hit you where the good lord split you.

i dont hate the first amendment, but remember with rights come responsibilities. i realize that you progressives dont want any responsibility, but they are there none the less.
It might be easier to say and easier to comprehend..."nothing in free in this world, not even freedom"

Old 05-28-2016, 09:52 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
What is your message to some Americans who say God D*** America, who despise everything about America, and who wants anarchy in the U.S.?
It depends on the context, but for the most part I don't care. It's just their opinion. People in America are allowed to have their own opinions. This isn't the USSR or North Korea.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:56 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It depends how you approach my post. I was writing it with the mindset that people who are centrist tend not to care about politics a lot, and people that do on the left and right, get too worked up and serious about it and violence usually happens from both those 2 powder kegs exploding.

Me, in real life, I couldn't give a rat's behind about politics. I don't take it seriously, I never discuss it with anyone in real life and if the topic comes up I try to end it by feigning ignorance or disinterest. It's not worth it rocking your social circle over politics, IMO. Especially since Americans take it too seriously like if it were the NFL
Ah got it...I still think politics is important though, only because it affects everyone's life greatly. I wish people could forget the game of politics and focus on running their own lives instead of the lives of others. Then I'd definitely agree.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:41 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I say, if you hate this country, feel free to leave!
Yeah, that is the flippant response, but other countries actually put some effort into keeping illegal immigrants out of their country. A person can't just decide they are moving to another country. It's a very difficult process at best and an impossible one at worse.

People have every right to be mad at the country. Some of us think that the only way to fix things is through a complete collapse and rebuilding. If the system is fundamentally broken, how can the problems possibly be fixed through the system?

Quote:
Yesterday, a co-worker spoke about how she hates America because of the treatment of minimum wage workers. She burns flags on the weekends. This is why I am discussing this.
So what? She is engaging in free speech. I am not a fan of flag burning, but she has every right to do it.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I wish people could forget the game of politics and focus on running their own lives instead of the lives of others.
Where's the fun in that?

Old 05-28-2016, 11:50 PM

199 posts, read 176,546 times
Quote:

I'd ask them WHY they believed that and would most likely agree with them on some of their points, but probably not all. America has sucked in many ways, but I think that it has a somewhat moral arc that bends towards justice, albeit too slow at times.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:07 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
I say take your right wing teajad somewhere else Trump supporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies