U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 03:49 PM

991 posts, read 497,969 times

Advertisements

Male Gorillas "Murder" what is not their spawn!

(Survival of the fittest!)

Jack Hanna agrees with zoo's shooting of gorilla

Jack Hanna agrees with zoo's shooting of gorilla - CNN Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 03:57 PM

4,491 posts, read 1,673,405 times
I'll say what I said in the last thread about this exact issue.

Conservatives have a habit of exaggerating a social issue and the extent to which it's supported. The only place where this issue really took off was Twitter, and even on Twitter, it was getting a great amount of criticism from all kinds of people. A good chunk of the tweets making this a race issue also appeared to be satire.

I listen to some conservative podcasts, and not too long ago, they talked about how Salon.com, a liberal opinion outlet, published an article title "I'm a pedophile not a Monster" about a pedophile who says he's never molested anyone (I haven't researched this, but according to the podcasts that covered this, he actually has been convicted) where he says a pedophile who has not molested anyone should not be seen as a bad person. The podcasts went on to say the left is promoting pedophilia. However, I really never heard about this article outside of conservative (and not mainstream conservative) outlets which suggests to me, the article wasn't getting much attention and indeed, there was a great deal of criticism on Salon.com for it. Point being, conservatives have a habit of finding a social issue that is rather silly, and acting as if it's some widespread belief.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:57 PM

3,507 posts, read 1,706,241 times
^^^^^^^
Hundreds or thousands doesn't represent all liberals, if their were truly large amounts of people enraged I would be hearing racism from people I know yet the first thing I heard were "The parents should be charged for their negligence" and "why didn't they use a tranquilizer gun". I am guessing these guys are BLM supporters but I have yet to hear anyone that isn't a Republican actually speaking about how racist it was besides those on social media which is filled with ridiculous people 100% of the time.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:07 PM

1,619 posts, read 734,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

Conservatives have a habit of exaggerating a social issue and the extent to which it's supported. The only place where this issue really took off was Twitter, and even on Twitter, it was getting a great amount of criticism from all kinds of people. A good chunk of the tweets making this a race issue also appeared to be satire.

I listen to some conservative podcasts, and not too long ago, they talked about how Salon.com, a liberal opinion outlet, published an article title "I'm a pedophile not a Monster" about a pedophile who says he's never molested anyone (I haven't researched this, but according to the podcasts that covered this, he actually has been convicted) where he says a pedophile who has not molested anyone should not be seen as a bad person. The podcasts went on to say the left is promoting pedophilia. However, I really never heard about this article outside of conservative (and not mainstream conservative) outlets which suggests to me, the article wasn't getting much attention and indeed, there was a great deal of criticism on Salon.com for it. Point being, conservatives have a habit of finding a social issue that is rather silly, and acting as if it's some widespread belief.
Yeah no big deal that Salon, a very large and influential part of the far left liberal media is opening normalizing pedophilia. Yeah no big deal. That is totally cool and liberal.

Places like Salon did the same thing with the trans issue. It starts from the far left like Salon and works it way to the everyday Democrat who doesn't want to be a bigot.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Yeah no big deal that Salon, a very large and influential part of the far left liberal media is opening normalizing pedophilia. Yeah no big deal. That is totally cool and liberal.

Places like Salon did the same thing with the trans issue. It starts from the far left like Salon and works it way to the everyday Democrat who doesn't want to be a bigot.
Well, I don't actually think they were promoting pedophilia. They were saying a pedophile who hasn't molested or done anything to hurt anyone isn't a bad person, and I can't reasonably disagree with that for the most part. If they start saying adults should be able to have sex with children, I'll disagree quite aggressively. The article, from what I remember of it, did sort of imply a certain level of sympathy for the pedophile should be had, which I don't really agree with. Frankly, I'd say if someone notices an attraction to children, they should be able to seek counseling without fear of being hated, that last part being important. If there was an outlet they could safely and honestly go to, I feel there's a good chance cases of child rape would go down.

Either way, I don't think 'the left' is promoting pedophilia.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:15 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,794,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Conservatives are supposed to be all about personal responsibility yet none of them blame the parent for not watching her kid. Anyhow, I blame Obama for the gorilla's death!
We don't know exactly what happened, so how can blame be placed on anyone?

Old 05-31-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

I guess that you overlooked the BlackLivesMatter posts on Facebook?

Old 05-31-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
I guess that you overlooked the BlackLivesMatter posts on Facebook?
Are you just referring to BlackLivesMatter or the gorilla thing? Because I stand by my point on this gorilla controversy being relatively small and no supported by mainstream liberals.

If you're saying that my initial point of exaggerations from conservative commentators is common and also applies to BLM, then I do want to be clear that it doesn't apply to all social issues. BLM does have mainstream support, though there are different levels of it. I do not think mainstream liberals approve of many of the things BLM protesters do, though don't disagree with the underlying principles that drives the movement.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:30 PM

As it has become a normal practice .. after showing what fools they are .. idiot posts have been scrubbed everywhere!

I was lucky enough to have captured a few for examples!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:32 PM

14,212 posts, read 6,121,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So he's a white kid with black parents.

That poor gorilla was murdered in cold blood.
It's a damn zoo and they had no tranquilizer darts?
Really?
Tranquilizer darts do not take immediate effect. It would just have agitated him and put the child in even more peril. It's a sad situation, but people are insane on this issue. How would you feel if that was your child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or